Nikon's repair service?

Name
Luke
Edit My Images
Yes
Just applied for the gubbins to send off my 24-70 2.8G lens - and just thought before I actually send it off to them, I'll see what i'm in for

Please post you're experiences with them good or bad; and for those interested the zoom ring has become quite stiff and even sqeaks slightly as you near 24mm

Thanks in advance

Luke

Not the quickest repairs I've had done but every time they've been thorough and everything is made very clear.

My last experience was three weeks ago. Send my body in on Monday, received it back Tuesday a week later. My only negative was that although they did well, they didn't tell me how well they were doing. Iow no acknowledgement of receipt, the first contact was when it was done one week later.

Agree with above post. I had to ring to chase up the acknowledgement of receipt. You then get a number which allows you to log in online and check progress and view any quotes etc. give permission to proceed.

One thing I was disapointed/suprised at was how dirty/dusty the front element of the lens was when it was returned. Not what i'd expect from Nikon.

Gary

get the name of someone there, address your item to them personally, and chase them... and make sure you crate your stuff up really well (they send it back packaged perfectly, it'd be terrible if something happened on the way...)

dejongj said:
My only negative was that although they did well, they didn't tell me how well they were doing. Iow no acknowledgement of receipt, the first contact was when it was done one week later.
Not my experience.
garywoods said:
I had to ring to chase up the acknowledgement of receipt.
Not my experience.
HopefulM said:
get the name of someone there, address your item to them personally, and chase them...
Not necessary.

In my experience of sending many lenses to Nikon, it's pretty straightforward. I get acknowledgement by email. I get an estimate by email, and I accept or reject it via their web site. (The estimate stage can be skipped if you want it fixed regardless of the cost. You can also set them a limit, e.g. repair without needing further authorisation if under £150, otherwise send estimate.) When they've finished the repair I get an invoice by email, and I pay that via their web site. And finally I get an email confirming it's on its way back to me. Simples!

Well duh! That is how it is supposed to happen, unfortunately it doesn't always happen like that ;)

I've used them a couple of times. Always been fast and always kept me informed via emails. I'd use the again without hesitation.

Kev.

Ive used them once only, I dropped off and picked up myself, so can't comment that bit. However the work they did was fast with full email contact about timings and costs.
I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Just wondering, do you have to be the original owner of the Nikon equipment to get this service?
Or can I send off a lens I got second-handed and still get it fixed as long as I'm willing to pay the cost?

Thanks!

Thanks again folks, definitely a variation in replys, but I guess it depends how busy they are etc etc.

I think i'll take the plunge and just hope it doesn't cost the earth :/ if the estimate is too high i'll just have it back for the mean time as it is bearable

Obviously assuming its not a warranty issue, I don't think it would make any difference if you're the original oner or not. :)

Thanks!
That's good to know! :) I have a 80-200 f2.8D which I absolutely love. I am not the first owner but it's definitely a lens I want to keep. It's good to know that I can still have it repaired if needed to in the future! :)

Nikon for warranty. Everything else I'd go for Fixation in south London. Great crew, keep you in the loop and high quality work.

Fixation offer a three month repair warranty but also cut some slack if something happens between 3 and 6 months. I meant to say above that you may prefer to go direct to Nikon for warranty repairs but Fixation do carry our Nikon warranty work as well. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Fixation offer a three month repair warranty but also cut some slack if something happens between 3 and 6 months. I meant to say above that you may prefer to go direct to Nikon for warranty repairs but Fixation do carry our Nikon warranty work as well. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Nikon lists them themselves as a drop in centre...

Lukeeee1990 said:
Elaborate on the above post

Why dont you take a look yourself on the Nikon UK website ;)

Back