No Photos to share!

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Not exactly true but I took the day off and did a remote Scottish Munro (Scottish Mountain over 3,00ft) today and took the camera to take some pictures. In actual fact I carried the following:

1 x EOS5D
1 x 28-70mm f2.8L
1 x 16-35mm f2.8L
1 x Tripod
1 x Ice axe
2 x Crampons
1 x Flask
1 x down jacket
1 x Goretex jacket
1 x spare fleece
2L water
2 rounds sandwiches
1 pork pie
1 x head torch
1 x gps

So it was a fair weight, especially when total walk was 17 miles (remote mountain). I never saw another living soul all day - which was nice!

The weather was disappointing and I only have three photos to show for the entire day and they are just for the record; one in a bothy on the way up;
IMG_4787_copy.jpg

This one is me hiding behind the summit cairn. I took my mitt off to place the camera on, and to push the button. By the time the shot was taken I was nearly crying with the cold. Real temp was about -2 degrees but with the strong wind the effective temperature was about -14 degrees - I didn't stay long!
IMG_4793_copy.jpg

The next shot shows how the ice builds up into wind. The rocks facing the wind build up snow "fingers". It looks amazing to see but you will just have to make do with this shot as the lens was covered in Ice in the minute it took to take it - and I wasn't taking my mitts off again!
IMG_4796.jpg

So I travelled an hour in my car to get there and the walk took me 8 1/2 hours from start to finish with only two stops (both at the bothy). Funny thing was as I left the bothy the clouds parted to show me the mountain but by then I was ready for home. After a mile I looked back and it was in cloud again. I walked the last 3 miles in the dark with my head torch giving up the ghost a mile from the car.

And I still enjoyed it! :shrug: :)

Atleast you know what your doing, hear of so many people trying this stuff in jeans and t-shirt in summer and finding out exactly how unprepared they are :D

Good pics (y)

:nuts:

And I still enjoyed it!

not much else to say only:clap: :clap:

Awww - I wanna go play in the snow too.. I miss walking. Especially now that I have young kids. They always come first.

Jeez, that looks like real brass monkey weather. I take it the camera performed okay in the cold? (I've got to ask, being as it's a Canon :D )

Wow! I'm impressed :) Looks (and sounds) mighty cold. I wanted to cry after lugging all my equipment around all day at the end of the Dorset meet - and it was no-where near those temperatures :eek:

You're nuts m8 ... imo of course ... :D

Love the pix and the thought of the hike ... but seriously ... in that sort of cold ... no way ... :eek:

:p

Colin - you have lived south too long you big Jessie! :p

I was actually too hot most of the day as I bought a pair of arctic salopettes which were just too thick. I burnt up the 2L of water on the way up and drank more from mountain streams and still drank at least another 2L once I got home (as well as a glass of Cab Sav:D).

I was worried about the camera as it had snow or ice all over it and my bag was frozen but it seems none the worse for wear. And I never felt like downgrading to leeser makes :p

Truth told I was very stiff today as I haven't done that distance for a while and noticed that I was a bit slow to rise at work if I sat for more than a few minutes. Old age and all that :shrug: :)

You have to understand the beauty that our mountains hold and even though the weather was at best "poor" yesterday it was still a rewarding day. The better days are like you have never lived before!

Hope to share more with you as the winter progresses! (y)

Great stuff ....keep up the good work and more pics please..

Enjoyed your description and pics of the climb...

Do wished I could do walks like that, now 100mtrs and I'm knackered:bang:

Back