Norfolk Coast (very long exposures)

Edit My Images
No
These are a collection of shots taken down at Cart Gap, close to Happisburgh in Norfolk . Each image is around 10 minute long exposure time.

Would love to hear what you think!

14861301072_4ae6823177_b.jpg

14850522734_37cd01c60e_b.jpg

14823422686_8bfc673bc3_b.jpg

I have to agree with everyone who has posted so far these are excellent, I love black and white and long exposure images
and you have combined the two so well, my favourite is number three, as Jason said definitely wall hangers. :beer:

Absolutely gorgeous images.
Only other thing to do is print them and hang them.

With this sort of thing it's vital the details are right. 1 and 2 are but three looks sloping but I suspect that's the angle you stood to the horizon ie slightly off perpendicular. The pole looks upright so it's not the level but the angle you've used.

Cheers all, super happy everyone likes them :)

With this sort of thing it's vital the details are right. 1 and 2 are but three looks sloping but I suspect that's the angle you stood to the horizon ie slightly off perpendicular. The pole looks upright so it's not the level but the angle you've used.

Oh - that's embarrassing. I had not noticed that before. Ill update the file when I get home :)

Lovely, very long exposures are great, anything less than 5 minutes for me isn't long exposures. I like a more silvery and dark tones to mine but these are lovely.

All three are fantastic, fav is number two for me as well.

Very nice, reminds me of Ian Bramham's long exposure work

Lovely selection. I'd probably pick #1 as my favourite - just that bit more minimal. Love the sheen on the foreground plank. #3 is very nice as well.

10 minutes is some going ! I think I have only managed 7 minutes as my longest LE before.

#3 for me, then #2, not keen on the orientation of #1.

#3 is uber clean and the composition works really well. I can see faint lines in the sky from the clouds which I like and the contrast is bang of for me.

What settings/filetrs to get 10 minutes?

Cheers.

Love them the 2nd is my fav but they are all great hope to get to Islay this October will try some long exposure shots when I am therw.

All the best

All beautiful images though I prefer the compositions of #2 and #3.

Superb use of the LE and 10 mins is excellent. Might I ask your aperture setting for these and were you using a 10 stop of 16 stop, plus were you in good light or fading light?

Cheers all, super happy everyone likes them :)

Oh - that's embarrassing. I had not noticed that before. Ill update the file when I get home :)

It's level as the pole is up right but your just off perpendicular to the sea giving the allusion of a slope. In minimalistic images like this it's vital the details are right.

The others are fine

What settings/filetrs to get 10 minutes?

Cheers.

I think I do my LEs a little different to many people. I actually aim for about a 20 second exposure, then set camera to continuous shooting for 10 minutes.

When I get home I simply stack the images in photoshop and by using a script it blends them altogether.minutes of time.

This technique has a few big benefits and a few big downsides. But generally it works well for me.

Love them

I've been wondering why my similar kind of shots don't come out as clean.. Now I know. My long exposure is about 9 mins shorter than it needs to be.

I think I do my LEs a little different to many people. I actually aim for about a 20 second exposure, then set camera to continuous shooting for 10 minutes.

When I get home I simply stack the images in photoshop and by using a script it blends them altogether.minutes of time.

This technique has a few big benefits and a few big downsides. But generally it works well for me.

Very interesting technique and one I must employ next time I'm out with the ten stopper. Is it a ten stopper you used? What kind of apertures are you using. I understand this would vary depending on light but I guess if you're aiming for a 20 second exposure you'd adjust accordingly depending on your filter.

Very interesting technique and one I must employ next time I'm out with the ten stopper. Is it a ten stopper you used? What kind of apertures are you using. I understand this would vary depending on light but I guess if you're aiming for a 20 second exposure you'd adjust accordingly depending on your filter.

I mostly use the "little stopper" (6stops I think), but you're right, it really does not matter what you use as long as you get a nice 10-30 second exposure time. But generally....I suppose, f9-11, attach filter and see what shutter speeds you can get away with :)

Here's a little online tutorial about it. It describes the process, though he is doing it a little different as he's not using any filters. http://www.verdantvista.com/tut9

Very nice set you have there. would look good as a small set of three on the wall :)

Nice set, nice clean lines

I generally try to keep between 4-8 minutes and always get a bit panicky that the exposure is alright at the end of it, especially with changing light.

Last edited:
Nice set, nice clean lines

I generally try to keep between 4-8 minutes and always get a bit panicky that the exposure is alright at the end of it, especially with changing light.
That can be tricky to adjust. I hear people say 'I will just give it another 10-20 secs' but in reality 10 secs on a long exposure is 'nothing'.

Great series, love the angular geometry of the groins against the ethereal water and sky. No2 is my fave.

I like long exposure work but I've never braved this type of duration! It's set me a challenge!

I like long exposure work but I've never braved this type of duration! It's set me a challenge!

Top Tip!

These where shot when the tide was going out. Had it been coming in I don't think I could have shot for 10 minutes :p

They all look good to me. You've got that technique weighed off, haven't you.

Great set Matt. I keep meaning to try this technique but haven't managed to find the time to get out and try it! I. It see you're in Norwich, I'm just down the road in Acle. If you fancy a meet up let me know.

Back