Northumberland coast

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
I'd really appreciate some comments and critique of some of my shots from my weekend away please. I had a great time and the weather was quite favourable if a bit cold, I was outside most of the time! New purchase for the trip was some wellies to get some in sea shots, a good investment I think but there were some rogue waves which very nearly spoiled my fun!

1. Good Morning Dunstanburgh #1
2048.jpg

2. Good Morning Dunstanburgh #2
2048.jpg

3. I'm Here
5.jpg

4. I'll Save You
2048.jpg

5. Good Morning Bamburgh
2048.jpg

6. Bamburgh Glow
2048.jpg

7. Berwick Bridge
2048.jpg

I have a couple more on https://500px.com/drooke

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

just a few of my thoughts, Dan.

1 the foreground is a little busy and distracting.

4 the conversion is a bit drab IMO, looks like you've tried to make up for flat lighting by making it B&W

5 has really pleasing colours in the sky and that sun is rising from a really interesting position, just a bit dark on the foreground and needs straightening a bit.

6 the sodium lights just don't make an appealing sight, coupled with flares I just don't think it works.

7 is my favourite, nice light giving depth and texture to the buildings although i'd try a different crop, 2:1 or 2.5:1, chopping some sky off and a bit off the bottom.

Last edited:
Could you offer up a beginner a feel for the equipment and settings in these shots ? I live in Newcastle so appreciate how underrated this coastline really is .. stunning.

Thanks for the feedback Ross. I'll have a bit more of a play with some of them when I get chance. I'll have to try some new stuff to fix some of your points eg. lightening foreground only, it's a good challenge! Some of the lighting wasn't ideal unfortunately, as you've said but there's always next time!

Paul, the kit I've used for these is:
In terms of settings for the landscapes, I tend to use f8/9, ISO100, manual focus, lens stabilisation off, bulb mode for remote release and variable shutter speeds. Unfortunately editing with Photoshop Elements strips off the EXIF data from the shots.

You have some stunning coastline virtually on your doorstep there and plenty of focal points, you just need to get up early to get there before sunrise!

Dan

Back