Northumberland trip

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
So instead of doing valentines day on the actual day this year we decided to go for a mid-week trip to Northumberland! Having never been before I had no idea of what to expect and WOW it sure didn't disappoint! What a beautiful part of the country! The only problem was we didn't completely do our research as we found out pretty much everything touristy was closed... That didn't stop us exploring though, guess it's just an excuse to go back in peak season :)

Here are a few snaps, I bought a 16-85 to use as a walk around lens for this trip and what a fantastic thing it is! Pretty much perfect range, light and I didn't miss the faster apertures at all! Glad I went for this over the heavy, large and expensive 17-55.

Anyway, a few images. As always feedback is much appreciated.

Bambrugh Castle by Paul Webster, on Flickr

Sycamore Gap-2 by Paul Webster, on Flickr

Sycamore Gap B&W by Paul Webster, on Flickr

Lindisfarne by Paul Webster, on Flickr

I dig very much #4 for the composition, very cool
but, Paul, these renditions are not quite convincing.

What do you mean by convincing? How could I make them more so?

Hi Paul
glad you enjoyed your visit up north, and by the looks of it you had some decent weather which for this time of year around here is unusual.

Oops spoke too soon, its blowing a gale and snowing again :(

I deffo like the first shot of Bamburgh Castle, nice colours and you picked a good setup point.

Did you get onto Holy Island itself ???? some great shots can be had from there.

Agree about the lens (I have the same setup) cracking little piece of glass for the money.

Nice set Paul not normally fan dead centre subject but it works well in image 2 ballanced.by the hills each being cemetrical the guy popping into number 3 from behind the tree throws a wobbler to the image I'd clone him out

What do you mean by convincing? How could I make them more so?

When I see a shot, I want to see references to what YOU saw. What
made you stop, what made you click… and refer to the scene as if I
had been there. …with you.

Your rendition is all I have to discover or the scene or your artistic intent
in the rendition. Like a fairy tale look or a dramatic mood… but neither do
I see here. So your rendition must then be natural… but they are not. Too
flat in tonal range; they look flat and without depth, very sharp and crisp
but too flat.

#4 that I like so much… If it was a cloudy day, how could it be so bright?
See PM!

Last edited:
Back