Wild (not a baited bird) Little owl project action shots

den

Name
Dennis
Edit My Images
No
After failing to get the results I was after last year I have spent some time trying to set up for some flight and action shots of the little owl ,I have a small window of opportunity at another site were the owls are well under way feeding newly hatched chicks ,armed with a 300mm its not easy capturing the birds as I need to grab focus at there quickest point just before they are ready for landing which isn't always the same spot so opportunities are few and far between but I enjoy the challenge especially as they are only small birds View attachment 38717

Last edited:
I would say you've done an amazing job with these shots

Reactions: den
The #2 may be a tad soft but all of them are lovely and thanks for sharing and your diligence on such a subject bird, respect :)

Excellent set Den, really like them :)
Thanks ,i have a dilema on this bird at this site,he lands on the same rock 9 times out of ten ,and if i move this just 40 feet to the right i would get the last one and a half hours of sun as it stands 7.15 pm is the last of the sun ,i may gamble and move it ,but as this bird is not baited it may take a bit longer

what a super set and far different from what we normally see thanks for showing them .

Rob.

Lovely shots Den as always, are yours out in the open ish? mine are under a well grown hedge of tall tree's so evening time the sun is behind which is lovely lighting but any action is just blurred as its quite dark, I'm planning an early start tomorrow around 5am in the hope of getting some action shots now they are feeding all the time and the sun will be coming up so they will be better lit.

Superb Den, I assume your pre focusing on a set point then hitting the shutter.?
No Jason I don't , what I do is follow the bird in my viewfinder single point focus its always the way I have done it for birds in flight and the walking shots ,I just follow the bird and do my best to lock on....

Lovely shots Den as always, are yours out in the open ish? mine are under a well grown hedge of tall tree's so evening time the sun is behind which is lovely lighting but any action is just blurred as its quite dark, I'm planning an early start tomorrow around 5am in the hope of getting some action shots now they are feeding all the time and the sun will be coming up so they will be better lit.
Hi Heidi great to hear from you again, since we last spoke I have now got two more sites and one is proving good for some action shots ,its took me all year to set up ,no trophy hunting shots for me ,just set up and hope the bird comes in and yes at this site I have a good 360 degrees all day ,best time here at the moment is 6.30pm until 7.30pm omce I move his rock I will have a extra hour of sun

:clap:

Can't say much more than that. Some excellent shots there Dennis. My favourite has to be the marching shot in post #20, cracks me up when they walk like that!

They're all wonderful. But post #38 is stunning.

Back