Not Guilty

Indeed. Personally I like Gill Sans typeface, so should it be defaced wherever it appears?
I think it's all part of what seems to be called "cancel culture".

This appears to boil down to: "If I don't like something, I can destroy it". People who hold this view seem to think that it only applies to what they don't like.

Other people are not allowed to apply the same fascistic point of view to the "cancel culturalists". :thinking:

So basically you can disrupt or do criminal damage if you happen to have a belief in something.
That is something on which we can agree.

In that particular situation I take the view that the protestors should be forced to compensate every person they inconvenienced. On the decision itself, perhaps the time has come when a jury should be required to give a written explanation of how they reached their decision?

I think this is another clear example of a perverse verdict https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...er, 57, a fourth,to Durham crown court showed.

The farmer was charged with causing criminal damage and dangerous driving after he "moved" a parked car that was obstructing his track, something I've been tempted to do myself, because it's a real problem and the police don't help at all.

In this case, he seems to have gone well over the top. He may not have been able to get to the side of the car to lift it with his telehandler, but flipping it over and writing it off may have been unecessary.

But, after a 4-day trial, the jury acquitted him - maybe they were sending a message that the law on these things needs to be changed.

I think this is another clear example of a perverse verdict https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/feb/04/teesdale-farmer-cleared-by-jury-over-flipping-car-with-tractor#:~:text=Robert Hooper, 57, a fourth,to Durham crown court showed.

The farmer was charged with causing criminal damage and dangerous driving after he "moved" a parked car that was obstructing his track, something I've been tempted to do myself, because it's a real problem and the police don't help at all.

In this case, he seems to have gone well over the top. He may not have been able to get to the side of the car to lift it with his telehandler, but flipping it over and writing it off may have been unecessary.

But, after a 4-day trial, the jury acquitted him - maybe they were sending a message that the law on these things needs to be changed.
Without knowing the full details, I’m with the jury on that one.

I’ve actually been an interested party in a similar incident and once the farmer appeared with his tractor & forks the 30 or so (there were vans too) people agreed to move having previously refused ;).

The car was on private land, had two flat tyres because of the way it had been driven, the driver was drunk, refused to move the car, a passenger was rude and physically abusive to the farmer.

or something a bit like that.

The car was on private land, had two flat tyres because of the way it had been driven, the driver was drunk, refused to move the car, a passenger was rude and physically abusive to the farmer.

or something a bit like that.
Exactly, or approximately! I daresay the farmer would have towed the, to a better parking place if asked nicely.

People like that driver don't do 'nicely' :D
I know! I was at a country show in the Dales when a one of a group of young men nutted a friend of mine and broke his nose on the “who you looking at?” principle and walked off. Police were called and I and another were transported to where we had last seen them (we were on high ground). The offender was wearing a distinctive orange T-shirt and when we got near they disappeared along the reservoir bank. When they were rounded up they were all topless. I identified the miscreant and all hell broke loose. They attacked the police, helicopter and dogs arrived and eventually they were rounded up again after breaking bones of policemen.

Really the whole thing blew up from nothing, even less than that parked car incident, so I see why the farmer reasonably feared what might happen.

I used to have an issue with people parking in front of my garage which was on the end of a block. Came home one afternoon to find a Porsche 924 on my drive, so I parked behind it, stopping it from getting out. About an hour later a guy knocked on the door asking me to move my car, I politely refused and said I was busy and shut the door :ROFLMAO: Police turned up about an hour later and we had a good chat, for about 30 minutes, and they asked me to move it within the next hour. I think I left it until about 58 minutes before I moved my car......

The guy got really shirty, threatening to damage the car, "What do I care, it's a company car, damage it and it will stay where it is until it's recovered". :LOL:

The problems on farmland can be pretty bad, and I think that it may have become worse since "Right to Roam" came in, with people seeming to think that they can park on other people's land as well as walk over it, and often leaving gates open.

But it's not just townies, we have hunt followers in particular parking their Range Rovers in our field gateways, leaving them for hours and making it impossible for us to get in or out of our own fields. And the police do nothing at all, they always say that parking on private land is a civil matter and nothing to do with them, but they seem to forget that one of the most primary functions (and originally the only function) of policing is the prevention of crime, and it's when they won't help that situations escalate and can lead to violence, as with this case.

Returning to 4 flat tyres might make them think twice next time, or a RR covered in smelly slurry?
The upper-class yobs who (illegally) chase foxes around are extremely powerful, they are not people who we can afford to upset.

Getting back to the ‘statue wars’, I didn’t realise until yesterday there was a statue of Volodymyr the Great in Holland Park, revered by the Ukrainians as St Volodymir. However I see from Wiki that he had 600 concubines in his pagan days so was a bit of a lad like most Vikings so I fully expect bands of women organising his topping any time soon in protest at his degradation of women :LOL:

The upper-class yobs who (illegally) chase foxes around are extremely powerful, they are not people who we can afford to upset.
They might have titles and more money than the average Tom, Dick or Harold, but in the eyes of the law they're the same as everybody else even if they're upper class.

Only in theory.

The problems on farmland can be pretty bad, and I think that it may have become worse since "Right to Roam" came in, with people seeming to think that they can park on other people's land as well as walk over it, and often leaving gates open.

But it's not just townies, we have hunt followers in particular parking their Range Rovers in our field gateways, leaving them for hours and making it impossible for us to get in or out of our own fields. And the police do nothing at all, they always say that parking on private land is a civil matter and nothing to do with them, but they seem to forget that one of the most primary functions (and originally the only function) of policing is the prevention of crime, and it's when they won't help that situations escalate and can lead to violence, as with this case.

I've noticed around here that I sometimes see cars parked in field gateways. I sometimes do it myself BUT I never leave the car, as I generally do it on a hilltop and play amateur radio. I wouldn't dream of parking and walking away. I've also noticed that one of the usual locations for this now has lumps of concrete in front of the gate, stopping anyone parking there.

We also have a drovers track which is legal to drive along, but people tend to forget about farm traffic, and park in the most stupid of places along it.

The lumps of concrete may well be to deter bands of wandering travellers from setting up camp in the field behind the gate rather than casual parkers. If regular access is needed, shifting the lumps of concrete is a PITA.

The lumps of concrete may well be to deter bands of wandering travellers from setting up camp in the field behind the gate rather than casual parkers. If regular access is needed, shifting the lumps of concrete is a PITA.

I did wonder that, but we don't seem to have any issues with travellers locally, in fact, I don't think I've noticed any around here in the 2.5 years we've been down here.

Reactions: Nod
It can be stop the ‘poachers’ coursing because they often use vehicles in the fields :(.

Reactions: Nod
I did wonder that, but we don't seem to have any issues with travellers locally, in fact, I don't think I've noticed any around here in the 2.5 years we've been down here.
The blocks work then :D

Back