Critique Not sure what I am doing wrong ?

Name
Steve France
Edit My Images
Yes
All of a sudden my photographs are looking out of focus ?
The top background is weird and the foreground seems to be in focus. Camera set to point focus and focus lock achieved on the eye ! (Checked in camera and on LR)
Is it possible my lens and or camera needs adjustments, I am very careful with my kit and it has not been knocked of jarred in any way.

Nikon D610 + Sigma 150-600C - sunny day (sun behind me) iso1250 f8 1/2000 @ 600mm point focus and centre weighted exposure, on a tripod with GimbalHeron coming into land.jpg

I use a Fuji, but if I use a tripod I always switch the stabiliser Off. Otherwise I can get blurred images.

it’s not atmospheric haze is it ? - do you get same effect say shooting at a house down a street ?

As above, heat haze, its been terrible last few days, even up here on the chilly pennines.
Try evening sun when its cooler on subjects that are close enough to fill the frame.

it’s not atmospheric haze is it ? - do you get same effect say shooting at a house down a street ?
Thankyou, I Never thought of Heat Haze ! Sounds very plausible given the water and mid-day sun.

As above, heat haze, its been terrible last few days, even up here on the chilly pennines.
Try evening sun when its cooler on subjects that are close enough to fill the frame.
Thankyou, I will try evening shoot later in the week. It is a Nature reserve so impossible to get any closer than the surrounding barbed-wire fence, However, I will try and be patient and hope the birds come a bit closer to me.

Thanks for helping me identify the cause, a quick google for a tutorial on PP in LR for heat haze and a new version, looks better to me - but I hope evening shots will be a better option...

Edited Heron Landing.jpg

Thankyou, I will try evening shoot later in the week. It is a Nature reserve so impossible to get any closer than the surrounding barbed-wire fence, However, I will try and be patient and hope the birds come a bit closer to me.

Sorry Steve, I should've been a bit clearer.

I meant any subject, even a fence post. If you do it when the heat haze isnt as bad it'll put your mind at ease thats its not the equipment

Back