not what I went out for

Name
Lawrence
Edit My Images
Yes
I remember when these were rare, now so common but they still thrill me everytime I see one. So today I was parked on a wide verge with tripod and 70-200 set up for an attempt at my "structures" shot and this little beauty started working the hedge alongside me.

IMG_2278.jpg

Not the best shot, its a 100% crop too, but the markings were beautiful.
When I left I drove past him again about 1/4 mile on, working his way down the hedge at the side of the road, but the hedge was lower than the road and I was looking down on him from about 20 foot away. Sadly a fast road and nowhere safe to park.

Forgive my ignorance Wookie, but what type of bird is that ? I only ask as I'm sure I photographed something similar hunting over the Roaches the other day ..........

Is it the same species ? (Picture above is clickable to larger version if necessary)

Thanks.

it's a kestrel or the old name is wind-hover. Beautiful bird and I'm glad there are more of them about. For once motorways have done wildlife some good - very long and thin wilderness areas perfect for kestrels.

Cheers Les, I am an ignorant so and so when it comes to wildlife ! :)

seen a few kestrels lately up these parts, never had my camera with me though :(

there's some waste ground near where I work, I was watching one hovering on the breeze when it folded it's wings in and dropped like a stone, next thing it's up and off with a mouse.

fantastic eyesight

No camera though

Back