now i am confused!!!

Name
michelle
Edit My Images
Yes
i am now confused i have bought myself a canon 450D with a ef-s 18-55mm is lens and i am looking to buy a new lens to go with it so i have looked on ebay this is one of them i was looking at (Canon EF 75-300mm F/4-5.6 II Digital SLR Lens) so i contacted the seller to ask if this lens was an IS or USM this is what the replied (Your camera will accept all
Canon Lenses which have the 'EF' or EF-S' designation. This lens
is not for a USM one but I do have another in my other auctions
which is a 75-300mm USM model) can anyone make any sense of this as i am now totally confused what lenses do i look for i am looking at purchasing a 55-250 so can anyone tell me which one it is
please:bang:

Thats a really old Canon 75-300, I'd reccommend you avoid it to be honest. It will be cheap but it will be nasty.

The Canon 55-250 is a pretty new design, its cheap but it will kick the 75-300 into the trashcan of history just because its 20 years newer!

USM - Ultra sonic motor in the lens for focusing

IS - Image stablisation

EF-S - Lens For APS-C size sensors only

EF - lens for FF & APS sensor.

Avoid the cheap lens and go for the 55-250

I owned it and found that it was fantastic. A remarkable lens considering the small price tag. I highly recommend it.

Canon 55-250mm IS will do you proud.
It's a cracking lens for the price.
Otherwise you are looking at the Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM and that is double the price of the 55-25mm IS.

Hi your camera will accept both ef and ef-s lens ,thats the fitment..
USM (ultra sonic motor) and
IS ( image stabilisation) are both to do with the way the lens works..

ooops that was a lot of quick replies
shows how slow i am at typing

It doesn't matter whether a lens is IS or USM as these are the lens specs, the EF and EFS is the mount and is the important bit.

As far as I recall - please others correct me, but EF lenses will work on full frame cameras as well as crop sensors.

It appears that the seller is offering a 75-300 non IS lens for Canon EF mount.
He is saying that it does not have an Ultrasonic AF motor (non USM.)
It appears to be an EF lens, which means it will cover full frame.
EF-S lenses are designed specifically for crop sensor bodies (like your 450D.)
However, you can use either (EF or EF-S) on your body, whereas someone with
a full frame body like a 5D could only use EF lenses.
The lack of a USM motor would mean the AF might be marginally noisier than a
lens WITH one.
IS = Image Stabiliser, if it's not specified, assume it isn't IS.
Without a link to the Fleabay auction, I wouldn't be any more specific.

so will a USM and IS fir the camera i have bought or does it have to be an EF-S? thankyou for your advice(y)

Both EF & EF-S lens will work on your body, if the lens has IS the lens will have image stabilization built into the lens which will help get a sharper image when hand holding and if its got USM the focus motor is built into the lens also which (usually) gives quicker & quieter focusing.

Must type faster.......as above post !

If you are on a tight budget look at Canon 100-300mm f5.6 USM it was never made with i.s but the optics are still better than 75-300mm i.s lens these can be picked up for about £80-£90 secondhand on ebay. Im still selling a lot of photos i took with this lens and about 9 months ago there was a article comparing about six lenses in the 75-300mm catagory and guess what this lens came out on top in image quality wide open at 5.6 my daughter now owns mine and it still turns out nice images even now after about ten years use.
Regards
Lost

Of the 2 lenses you mentioned, I'd go for the 55-250 IS lens over the older 75-300. I don't think you'd be disappointed with it (y)

And has been mentioned above, the EF / EF-S is the lens fitment and your camera body will take either fitment.

If the budget is tight than there are a lot of excellent (older) Canon lenses to be had. I would recommend the Canon EF 100-300 f5.6 (L) if you can find one but the standard one also gives excellent results. I picked up an EF 50-200 f3.5 of ebay for £80 and it gives super sharp pictures on my 1D and 1Ds...(y)

I use the 55-250mm IS on my 400d, and have to say that it is fantastic value for money...

2466626015_4eef3502a9.jpg

I've posted this shot before, but it shows what can be achieved with this lens. This is at 250mm with f5.6 and 1/200 with only minor processing through DPP.

Fitment codes:
EF and EF-S
EF-S can be fitted to all xxxD, xxxxD and most xxD cameras
EF can be fitted to all EOS cameras

Lens feature codes
USM stands for ultra-sonic motor and refers to an upgraded type of focus motor
IS refers to image stabilistation.

Back