Critique Nuthatch

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
So much like my Blue Tit from the other day this was captured somewhat unexpectedly in so much as I never set out to photograph anything let alone small birds and most certainly something I can honestly say I can not remember the last time I saw one. A bit of a result then!

So this one was an absolute fluke really. I was focused both attention and camera else were in the wood when something caught the corner of my eye. That something being this lovely Nuthatch. No sooner had I got the camera on it and it was gone again.

So, I am happy with what I have ultimately managed to come away with for a single shot but the placement in frame and composition were to be honest rubbish before the crop, and possibly still so in others opinions!
I am happy with how the crop has ended up though based on what I had t play with so in that respect I am not against critique regarding the crop there is ultimately little I can do in that regard. The action so to speak was all in the top right so everything that has gone was just 'noise' and definitely does distract from the Nuthatch.

I would appreciate and happily take any critique and feedback regarding the processing though as I can use that should I chance upon another sometime down the line and with more time to frame better and indeed just in general.

Settings, again probably far from optimal but working with what I had and with no time to pause and consider before the Nuthatch was gone again.

f5.6
ISO800
1/320th
200mm (300mm efective APSc)

Nuthatch (Sikka).jpg by Lost_Manc, on Flickr

As always, thanks in advance for anything you want to offer.

A nice typical nuthatch pose, Processing is pretty good, short of cloning errant branches out of the background there isn't much to change.

Plenty of negative space for the bird to look into, no concerns from me for the crop.

Background is a little messy - some will see this as natural and others will prefer something more plain. Your call depending on taste.

Without knowing the overall setup its impossible to say if another shooting angle would allow for a smoother background

Mike

Last edited:
A nice typical nuthatch pose, Processing is pretty good, short of cloning errant branches out of the background there isn't much to change.

Plenty of negative space for the bird to look into, no concerns from me for the crop.

Background is a little messy - some will see tis is natural and others will prefer something more plain. Your call depending on taste.

Without knowing the overall setup its impossible to say if another shooting angle would allow for a smoother background

Mike
Thank you.

Cloning the branches out as much as I’d like too is beyond my current skill level.

As for positioning and background.

Position wise I was sat on a treehouse balcony so I had limited space to move and I am fairly certain from memory that even if the Nuthatch had decided to hold the pose for me I wouldn’t have been able to frame much more of a clean background anyway. So whilst I personally would have preferred a cleaner background this was a one shot chance on the day unfortunately as I didn’t get another opportunity before our weekend away was over.

I was happy to have pulled even this off though!

Last edited:
Thank you.

Cloning the branches out as much as I’d like too is beyond my current skill level.

As for positioning and background.

Position wise I was sat on a treehouse balcony so I had limited space to move and I am fairly certain from memory that even if the Nuthatch had decided to hold the pose for me I wouldn’t have been able to frame much more of a clean background anyway. So whilst I personally would have preferred a cleaner background this was a one shot chance on the day unfortunately as I didn’t get another opportunity before our weekend away was over.

I was happy to have pulled even this off though!

I can all but guarantee the nutty wouldn't hold a pose whilst you moved!

The issue with getting a clean background - and again its all personal choice - is getting set up prior to the shot and hoping the bird perches on your chosen perch. Its far easier said than done. The only real way of doing it is by setting up your own perch near to a food source.

Keep them up pal

Mike

Nice capture Rob, good detail and colour.

The background is what it is and I'm glad you took the picture :D
Cheers Alan.

Indeed. It definitely is what it is and I am happy with it. I too am glad I took it and even more glad it was actually in focus :ROFLMAO:

I like it, nice pose (y) As Mike said really, but it is still a nice capture :)
Thank you Gavin.

I can all but guarantee the nutty wouldn't hold a pose whilst you moved!

The issue with getting a clean background - and again its all personal choice - is getting set up prior to the shot and hoping the bird perches on your chosen perch. Its far easier said than done. The only real way of doing it is by setting up your own perch near to a food source.

Keep them up pal

Mike
Cheers Mike.

Yeah. No chance it was hanging around. Only glimpsed ’it’ briefly twice more that weekend.

Certainly intend to keep focusing on wildlife as time and current equipment allows.

Tbh. This and the couple of other shots I’m happy with we’re just a bonus to a nice weekend away. I would have happily just sat there and watched them dart about.

Considering it was a reactionary shot and not what you were preparing for, I think it's just a pat on the back and a "well done sir" for getting anything at all.

Very nice wildlife style capture Rob, well composed & nicely presented.

Considering it was a reactionary shot and not what you were preparing for, I think it's just a pat on the back and a "well done sir" for getting anything at all.
Thank you Keith.

Yes. Considering the facts I am happy I came away with anything tbh!

Very nice wildlife style capture Rob, well composed & nicely presented.
Thank you George.

I am pretty happy with this one all things considered.

Back