NYC & Niagara Falls tips?

Edit My Images
Yes
Having a short holiday over in New York and may take in a trip to Niagara Falls, so wondering if anyone has any tips or general advice for some good photo opportunities.
Also, safety of carring a DSLR around NYC in general, and protecting your camera in the mist of the falls. Maybe best just take a P&S at the many/mostly tourist attractions that will be taken in?!

Oh and nobody bats an eyelid at you walking around with your camera, there's people evrywhere with them ........... lol.

hi
been to NYC twice now and felt safe carrying kit around and even got others to take shots of me & her indoors and never a problem, except blurry shots some times.
re opportunities try a quick search as this has come up a few times over the last 2 months but to help.
Go to top of the rock you can shoot lots including empire state, free ferry to staten island and walk outside the building to take some shots of NYC, look up at some of the buildings they are some classics if you are into architecture. Times sq just because its there.
Inside grand central station and the city library some great ceilings and rooms, finally central park on a weekend and Met museum.
enjoy we love it there

Cross the bridge at Niagara and go to the Canadian side to see the falls. The US side is a little boring.

Depending on the weather and the wind, there isn't actually that much spray that gets kicked up; you certainly don't get drenched walking around and by the falls.

A trip on the Maid of the Mist is a must, but you should deffo keep you camera in a waterproof bag.

Also, if you can, take a trip down towards Niagara on the Lake. The road follows the river to Lake Ontario and there are some nice views of the gorge and river further down. There's also a cable car ride across the river at one point too.

Last edited:
Have a look at Sheraton on the Falls hotel. The rooms on the 23rd floor have picture windows overlooking the falls and (we thought) well worth the money. You need to cross into Canada for the best views and tours. You can buy a day ticket that gets you behind the falls, the Maid of the Mist and other attractions and well worth doing and comes with a free bus. Take a waterproof bag for both your camera and kit.

A great couple of days and well worth the effort.

Have a look at Sheraton on the Falls hotel. The rooms on the 23rd floor have picture windows overlooking the falls and (we thought) well worth the money.

I stayed in one of these rooms. It was without a doubt the best hotel view I've ever had anywhere in the world.

Sadly I made a photobook and somehow deleted my photos from this trip. I have no idea how. The rooms are better than they appear on the hotel website.

I took a plastic camera protector with my DSLR at the time. If you behind the falls, and you should, imagine you are in a shower with a yellow plastic sheet.

Back