No
Hey Guys! get up here!
You will not believe this!

IMG_5542a
by Chris-the-falconer, on Flickr

Oh Blurgggg

IMG_5538a

That is just so............. Words fail me in all honesty!

IMG_5531

What's that damned Lynx bitching about now?

IMG_5502

Did you not see?
I'll Whisper it to you.

IMG_5500

There are some things one so young should just not see!

IMG_5505

Thanks for saving me Mum <Baby gob shot alert :D>

IMG_5515

I'll just stand here and look cute after THAT!

IMG_5522

Love the first elephant one, top class!

Great set as ever Chris :)
The new elephant is just adorable.

Sorry Guys I can't multi quote at the moment seems to be some kind of "issue"
Thanks everyone for your kind words, they are appreciated (y)
@Mikesphotaes
@viv1969
@Raptor Mike

@simonblue so good you said it thrice Eh? :D
(I'll tidy it once I get my "mod tools" back ;) )

@holty
Thanks its appreciated :)
They were taken at whipsnade zoo, in Bedfordshire

Last edited:
Great set as usual (y)
Not easy getting decent exposure for that angle by the elephant pool and no fence in view either :D

Great set as usual (y)
Not easy getting decent exposure for that angle by the elephant pool and no fence in view either :D
The camera never lies Neil, you should know that :D
Actually the light was pretty good all round on that on that day :)

Thanks for dropping by and commenting (y)

As always a lovely set Cobra/Hissy. I am thinking of nipping in there for the day on the 24th (on my way home from Corfu :D),luckily its the last day opening til 5-30.
Any tips on which animals to head to at specific times,sun direction and feeding times etc.:)

As always a lovely set Cobra/Hissy. I am thinking of nipping in there for the day on the 24th (on my way home from Corfu :D),luckily its the last day opening til 5-30.
Any tips on which animals to head to at specific times,sun direction and feeding times etc.:)

Cheers Robin its appreciated :)

This time of the year the sun won't be an issue as such.
Although you will start losing the light over the lynx by around 3:30pm
and that's really the best time to catch them, IF they are being fed its usually about that time,
they may not be, but they are out waiting just in case.

Wolves, tend to be fed before opening times, and may well be hiding at the
back of the paddock. But you may catch the Alpha male doing his thing and standing on the mound.

The Bears and chimps get fed about 11am,
you stand little chance of getting the chimps unless you are there for feeding time.
Go to the far end of their island and get a spot against the fence.

The red panda's are usually active ( or asleep) up in the tree, around 2:30 - 3.00
is probably the best chance for those.

Try and get to the elephants for the talk, if there is one tends to be around 2pm.
They take them for a walk around the park, after that, then they tend to go to bed after.
Or at least into the steel and concrete pens, not photogenic in the slightest.

The lions, will just normally be sleeping all day, either right by the glass, or on the mound.

Tigers, they tend to just laze about all day, not always the easiest to capture.

Cheetahs, tend to be lazy and hiding in the long grass quite difficult to get,
unless its raining, then they'll be in their cave, right by the glass.

There are loads of deer, rhinos, and other assorted herbivorous
pretty much on view all day.

When you get in there, they'll give you a map and a "programme of events" (free)
For the seal display and bird display, and other feeding times.
Try and get there as early as possible (it opens at 10) its a full day.
Oh and something like a 70-200 / 100-400 type lens is best.

Cheers for that information, its always good to hear advise from a regular attendee from a venue. I hope I gave some good advise to a chap from here recently about Y.W.P.
Can you get decent shots of the elephants on parade or are they usually surrounded by keepers and public.o_O
I have a 70-250, and a Sigma 150-500 so shouldn't have any trouble reaching everything but the furthest hoofstock I hope. Typical that the auto-focus has just died on my 70-250 just a week before my holiday.:( Maybe didn't help that I dropped it a few weeks back :arghh:

Cheers for that information, its always good to hear advise from a regular attendee from a venue. I hope I gave some good advise to a chap from here recently about Y.W.P.
(y)
its good when people exchange info and don't get "precious" about tips and tricks :)

That's a bugger about the 70-250 :(
The siggy will be plenty of reach, but baring in mind the light will start to go from not much after 3pm,
and you may have a bit of trouble with shutter speeds certainly at the long end.

The Cheetah enclosure is probably the best of the light for later in the afternoon,
and 150 maybe too close for the lions, if they are right near the glass viewing area (its a suntrap)
The Elephants usually are surrounded by keepers, but not to bad so that you can't get a shot or two,
they make the public stand well back as they are coming though,
best bet with that reach is to get well in front of them and shoot slightly head / side on.

It's great to know information about your local zoos, just in case a visit planned, when the animals get fed, are most active, plus help with the photography (which lenses and light conditions), just makes things easier for the visit. Cracker series of images Cobra, you've capture each and everyone's animal characteristics.

It's great to know information about your local zoos, just in case a visit planned, when the animals get fed, are most active, plus help with the photography (which lenses and light conditions), just makes things easier for the visit. Cracker series of images Cobra, you've capture each and everyone's animal characteristics.
Thanks Pete and no problem, I'm always happy to share (y)
After a similar question a while back,
I wrote a tutorial, mostly aimed at Whipsnade,
but it also holds true for other zoo's too.
Its a basic, get you started guide.
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/re...-guide-to-shooting-through-mesh-and-glass.13/

And thanks for the kind words about the images :)

Lovely set of photos, there, Cobra. Especially the elephants.

Thanks Pete and no problem, I'm always happy to share (y)
After a similar question a while back,
I wrote a tutorial, mostly aimed at Whipsnade,
but it also holds true for other zoo's too.
Its a basic, get you started guide.
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/re...-guide-to-shooting-through-mesh-and-glass.13/

And thanks for the kind words about the images :)

The guide is very useful, not only for photographying animals in the zoo, the same can be applied for any event where safety fences are protecting you from the subject (motorsport for example). Having the advantage of focusing range limiter switch on some of my lenses which limits the focusing range of the lens in the autofocus mode, I tend to use that when fences are involved, especially when you can't get up close and personal with the mesh :mad: because of extra barriers, but you are relying that the animal is some distance from the fence.

Last edited:
The guide is very useful, not only for photographying animals in the zoo, the same can be applied for any even where safety fences are protecting you from the subject (motorsport for example). Having the advantage of focusing range limiter switch on some of my lenses which limits the focusing range of the lens in the autofocus mode, I tend to use that when fences are involved, especially when you can't get up close and personal with the mesh :mad: because of extra barriers, but you are relying that the animal is some distance from the fence.

Good point, TBH I'd not even given a thought to motor sport when I wrote that,
as I've never "shot it" but of course you're right, regarding the subject / fence distance.
Sometimes you can move around to get a better angle, but if "something" is laying right up or close to the fence,
it screws the back ground too.

Nice as always, its what we've come to expect. In particular I like 4 & 6. I'm yet to spot the Pandas, as whenever I'm there they seem to be hiding :( I love the expressions on the Lions in 6 too..

Nice as always, its what we've come to expect. In particular I like 4 & 6. I'm yet to spot the Pandas, as whenever I'm there they seem to be hiding :( I love the expressions on the Lions in 6 too..
Thanks Chris :)

Panda's as above, about 3pm give or take half hour, you need to be patient :)
they spend 90% of their time high in the tree, but do go for a wander from time to time.
Now the leaves are dropping you may catch them. :)

Excellent...I must get up there some time
Cheers Rob :)
If you've never been you won't be disappointed .

But like most places it's not, cheap especially if you have a family and take them as well.
(Check the ZSL website for details)

Thanks Chris :)

Panda's as above, about 3pm give or take half hour, you need to be patient :)
they spend 90% of their time high in the tree, but do go for a wander from time to time.
Now the leaves are dropping you may catch them. :)

Woah there took me about a million posts to get that sort of information you just gave, are you having a senior moment Chris?

@ChrisHeathcote don't worry if you're not there when I am you will be guaranteed to see them. :)

Last edited:
Woah there took me about a million posts to get that sort of information you just gave, are you having a senior moment Chris?
PMSL Bryn. You obviously didn't ask the right questions :p

@ChrisHeathcote don't worry if your not there when I am you will be guaranteed to see them. :)
Ain't that the truth? :D
Although they did "slip up" when we bumped into each other last time :D

Very nice set of photos. I am new and this is my first 'critique' although it's not really a critique as these are fantastic! I was at Whipsnade a few weeks ago and really struggled with the red pandas - they were fairly obliging as models but there was not much light and under their tree the shade amplified the problem. You have done excellently with that little guy.

I think my favourite of the shots is the lynx, mainly because of the eyes. When I was there I noticed that one lynx had a tendency to run and jump over the big rock at the top from the back towards the front of the enclosure. I ran out of time (and don't have the chops) to get the shot, and I don't know how often you go, but with your skills I think you might get an excellent photo there.

By the way let me know if I'm posting with bad etiquette - as I say, I'm new!

Agree with Mike the first baby elephant is excellent like the way you've framed him with the legs of the adults
they are all great though and the captions too

Very nice set of photos. I am new and this is my first 'critique' although it's not really a critique as these are fantastic! I was at Whipsnade a few weeks ago and really struggled with the red pandas - they were fairly obliging as models but there was not much light and under their tree the shade amplified the problem. You have done excellently with that little guy.

I think my favourite of the shots is the lynx, mainly because of the eyes. When I was there I noticed that one lynx had a tendency to run and jump over the big rock at the top from the back towards the front of the enclosure. I ran out of time (and don't have the chops) to get the shot, and I don't know how often you go, but with your skills I think you might get an excellent photo there.
By the way let me know if I'm posting with bad etiquette - as I say, I'm new!
Hi Jon, I appreciate you dropping by and commenting :)
I spend / waste far too much time up there, TBH ;)
The lynx are pretty obliging, ( assuming you hit it right time wise,)
Although they aren't quite as active as they used to be when they Kitts.
But they still climb trees on occasions as you can see :)

The Red Panda's can be a nightmare, not least because of the light and the heavy cover.
But again, its all about timing as per my post above to Rob.

As for for critique there is no right or wrong way, just say what you mean and mean what you say :)

Agree with Mike the first baby elephant is excellent like the way you've framed him with the legs of the adults
they are all great though and the captions too
Cheers Pete (y)

Last edited:
Ooops in amongst all that was going on I forgot to come back to this, must be my age (before you say it :p)

Trust you to get the 1st baby ele gobshot, he is very cute :love:

Another good set, but my fav has to be the 2 lions (y)

Back