Beginner Off Camera Flash - 2nd Attempt

Name
Sohail
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Folks,

My second attempt at OCF, as I have no processing skills/software, these again are SOOC.

I had trouble getting the lighting correct for the picture, any suggestions on what, and where the lighting should be would be of great help.

I eventually used a shoot through umbrella to the left of me, with a reflector at their feet. Using the large window for ambient light.

The second photo was using a reflector only

Once again critique, advise, comments all welcome.

SOL_5150 by saul, on Flickr

SOL_5177 by saul, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well Saul I think you have done pretty well with the lighting. The light is even and the shadows are not too deep. The second shot suffers from the overly bright sky which detracts from the shot a bit, but the face is very nicely lit.

For me the first shots main crit is the composition and the poses of the subjects. It is a bit like a police line up, no offence. :) Try to get the group on different levels and maybe leaning on each other arms around shoulders ect and more smiles and laughing ect. Also the clothing is a mismatch of patterns and colours which create a rather busy scene. Plain white or subtle coloured T-Shirts if possible.

I think you have made a great start here, and once you have processed them they should look very nice.

Many Thanks Steve,

This was a very rushed set up and shoot and as a newbie, and tbh I got frustrated very quickly.

All crit taken on board, will hopefully have another go at it this weekend with those points in mind. It's amazing what is missed by one and spotted by another.

As the saying goes "Everyday is a school day".

Back