Off camera flash- absolute beginner

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Canon 7D and I'm planning to upgrade to a mk2 in the new year. I shoot mostly mountain biking and motorsports so it's the right tool for the job. However, I've been doing a lot of car shoots. So far I've got away with natural light and a reflector if necessary. I'd like to keep shooting through the winter and I'm long over due when it comes to learning how to use strobes.

My problem is, any discussion about lights and hardware quickly goes over my head. People speak in jargon and serial numbers and it's like a foreign language. I'm not sure what people are taking about when it's all masters and slaves and triggers and ETTL's. Most people already know what they're talking about to some extent and their threads are confusing!

My question, simply put, is what hardware do I need to use my 7D with a couple of off-camera speedlights?

I think I'm settled on Yongnuo's because of price and reputation but what kit will work with my camera? I'm not sure if I need a trigger or not. The Yongnuo website is not helpful at all.

I have a 430ex flash from years ago. Would that fit into my set-up anywhere or is it an antique?

Sorry to bring it right back to basics but I'm looking to get kitted up this month and when I look at all the gear available I have no idea where to start!

Thanks in advance.

The simple answer is that you've got all you need (*below).

The more complicated answer is that it gets complicated...

Buy the Speedlighters Handbook by Syl Arena. It's easy to read, explains everything you need to know.

*I'll try
Your 7d's pop up flash can be used to control your 430ex. The Manual explains it far better than I could (first the camera manual, then the flash manual).

If you want to go further, a new Yongnuo flashgun could also be used in the same way (actually - you could buy 1000 and use them all).

If you want easier and more reliable control from your camera (and you will), then you should get some wireless triggers too. I'd recommend a YN622C-TX and a pair of YN622C's. If you want to be able to control the flash output from the camera or trigger, you'll need an ETTLII capable flash, I'd go with a YN 568 (though there's plenty of choice)

It all sounds much more complicated than it is. Charge some batteries, and have a play.

Right that all sounds simple enough so far, thanks.

I have tried firing the 430 with my pop up flash but then of course you're limited to line of sight, you're also stuck with the effect of the pop up flash making everything look flat. It also didn't work in daylight from anything over a metre away. To be honest I stopped experimenting at that point! Proper triggers are the way to go I think.

Could I fire with 430 with the flash from a Yongnuo? Then I could still use the 430 as a fill occasionally.

Thanks for the book recommendation. It's about time I got some quality literature on the subject so welcome suggestions.

Just for illustration purposes what I want is this right?

61XcakNdihL._SL1200_.jpg

As advertised here- http://www.amazon.co.uk/YONGNUO-YN-622C-TX-EACHSHOT®-Microfiber-Cleaning/dp/B00LCWQDPG

Yes and the flashgun.
And then some stands
Some hotshoe adaptors
Some brollies or softboxes

There are some cheap alternatives, some decent gear and some awesome modifiers you can get too.

I just had to Google 'hotshoe adapter'. That's the level we're at!

Where does that fit into the kit?

I just had to Google 'hotshoe adapter'. That's the level we're at!

Where does that fit into the kit?

When you want your lights on stands, you'll find that the stands are designed for studio heads, there's 2 downsides:
The flashguns or triggers have a hotshoe, studio heads have a clamp that fits the spigot at the top of the stand.
Studio heads have a pivot on the attachment that fits on the stand.

You can buy an adaptor (if you're buying brollies)
Or you can get a bracket and softbox together or this

Remember the cheaper option of manual flash - YN560 flash with RF603 triggers could save. And with the TX transmitter you can adjust flash power remotely

By that do you mean if I have the TX trigger on camera with it's bells and whistles, does it make a difference to the type of flash I need?

To be honest I'm not trying to cut corners on the price. The YN stuff is pretty damn cheap. What's currently the best flash they do for a Canon camera?

I'm not scared of manual but doesn't it just take much longer to set up? I like to move around pretty quickly especially if I'm shooting a race situation in the woods or something. I can't hold a light metre against a moving bike rider.

what you have in the photo is dead right but you dont need the 622tx three of the 622 C work fine and allow you to put a flash on top of the camera ( which the TX does not)

best flash is a YN565 EX 11 beware the Yn560 as its manual only no ittl unless its what you want.

Last edited:
How many situations are there when you find yourself shooting both on and off camera flash? I assumed that shooting on camera was second best and having off camera make it pointless. I am prepared to be shot down on this.

Go with the tx and 2 622's as Phil says.
As for the flashes the Yongnuo's are very good value. If you want HSS then get the 568ex or 568ex 2. Otherwise you can save some pennies and get the 565.

How many situations are there when you find yourself shooting both on and off camera flash? I assumed that shooting on camera was second best and having off camera make it pointless. I am prepared to be shot down on this.

On-camera direct flash is sometimes needed, even desirable occasionally, but just because the gun is on-camera doesn't mean the light is coming from the same place, eg when bouncing. For your particular application it's hard to say exactly which features you'll need or find most useful, but if budget is not too much of an issue, I'd get the highest spec guns to leave all options open - good power, plus High Speed Sync and second-curtain sync.

Speedliters Handbook is excellent (y)

what you have in the photo is dead right but you dont need the 622tx three of the 622 C work fine and allow you to put a flash on top of the camera ( which the TX does not)

best flash is a YN565 EX 11 beware the Yn560 as its manual only no ittl unless its what you want.
This is fine, except the Canon menu on the 7d is appalling, using the TX is about 20 times quicker.

By that do you mean if I have the TX trigger on camera with it's bells and whistles, does it make a difference to the type of flash I need?

To be honest I'm not trying to cut corners on the price. The YN stuff is pretty damn cheap. What's currently the best flash they do for a Canon camera?

I'm not scared of manual but doesn't it just take much longer to set up? I like to move around pretty quickly especially if I'm shooting a race situation in the woods or something. I can't hold a light metre against a moving bike rider.
Newbies are scared of Manual flash, but there's no need to be.

Once you've had a play you'll realise how 'static' your moving situation is.

If your flash is 2m from the line the bikes taking at the top of a hill, it's the same setting required as 2m from it in the forest in a dip, or over a jump.

ETTL might be tricked by dark vs light clothing on your riders, manual flash will just nail it.

However, if you want HSS, then ETTL is the better bet. And if you want HSS then the YN568 is the only Yongnuo choice.

I have the 622c units and now the TX.
triggering using the 622c is great, and yes, the hotshoe can do pass through ETTL, but I'd only use that for evenly lit group shots.
If you want ease of control I would suggest the TX, as it's pretty useful and easily read, adjusted etc.

my only bugbear with the 622c units is that the power switch flips on too easily in your bag. the power switch on the 622cTX is much better and less prone to accidental use.

Thanks the the help everyone, talking about it like this in baby language is really filling in some holes in my knowledge.

I want to get some 568's and that trigger bundle ordered asap. Although I still have one eye stuck on the Lencarta Safari :whistle:

Thanks the the help everyone, talking about it like this in baby language is really filling in some holes in my knowledge.

I want to get some 568's and that trigger bundle ordered asap. Although I still have one eye stuck on the Lencarta Safari :whistle:
If you're going to find yourself fighting full sun, then a Safari is what you'll need.

I don't know how often I'd need the outright power of the Safari, I just like the idea of having everything I need in one box. I also like to buy once/keep forever when it comes to big purchases but it would mean a bit of debt this time.

Back