Official Batteries or 3rd Party?

• Thread starter Deleted member 25799
  • Start date
so why don't the 3rd party manufacturers chip their batteries as well?

Have 2 originals and 3 3rd parties. All work just as they should do!

From what I have read Canon have copyrighted the algorithm that is used for the camera/battery communications.
Therefore while the 3rd parties might well crack the code I think that places like Amazon would not be prepared to sell them.

From what I have read Canon have copyrighted the algorithm that is used for the camera/battery communications.
Therefore while the 3rd parties might well crack the code I think that places like Amazon would not be prepared to sell them.

The same way Canon/Nikon etc have copyrighted the algorithms used for their AF systems, which means that Tamron/Sigma/Tokina etc have to reverse-engineer their lenses to work with those body manufacturers? Remember that 3rd-party lenses aren't actually recognised or supported by Canon/Nikon etc, but you can still buy them at OEM dealers and amazon (y)

I've been using third party batteries in both Nikon and Canon for years without issue - including the £7.99 fleabay one including home / car charger and delivery, thats in use on my 5D2.

Canon are notorious for not licensing, its the same with the batteries. I would have one for a backup as £60+ for another is quite a step, especially when £1200 has already been dropped for the camera!

I did not notice any difference between the genuine one and 3rd party batteries. But I always carry the genuine in case the 3rd party died.

I bought an Opteka grip for the 400D which came with 2 3rd party batteries and I've had no issues yet. They're both 1800mAh, whereas the Canon one which came with the camera is only about 700mAh!

I have been using the 7dayshop bats for over a year now in my 450D and they still hold good charge.

I think if you use a known branded name (perhaps Uniross or Duracell) then they're unlikely to be a load of rubbish. Do you really imagine Canon or Nikon actually make their own batteries?

I think most have come to realize that 3rd party batteries in your 40D's/50D's etc work almost better than the original, but there is still a bit uncertainty regarding the 7D/5DmkII's and 3rd party batteries, for the price of the camera then I understand those getting another original, but nearly £60 for one battery is shocking in my book, hence the wait to see if these 3rd party batteries are reliable even with the limitation

Original Nikon ones...probably baseless, but i just don't trust third-party...

Miss V
Looking through the comments i would buy the original canon battery, use Amazon. It may seem a little expensive now, but it will be much better than getting a cheap ebay one. The fact is it is chipped so stay with Canon. Even though i am Nikon the 5d2 is a fab camera, keep it that way.

Miss V
Looking through the comments i would buy the original canon battery, use Amazon. It may seem a little expensive now, but it will be much better than getting a cheap ebay one. The fact is it is chipped so stay with Canon. Even though i am Nikon the 5d2 is a fab camera, keep it that way.

S*d Amazon; if you're going to get a Canon original get it from Kerso (y)

rekindling an old thread. i have 3 spare 3rd party batteries from ebay. They cost £24 in total and came with 2 chargers between them. So far so good, and I now have 5 batteries between my two bodies and I very rarely need to go to the 3rd party ones as I start off with the originals when shooting a wedding. I think somethings can be economised on and others cannot, and I think batteries is one of them. Also, if you're using a grip, one OEM and a few 3rd party batteries will in theory act like all were OEM, as the batteries should run down together and the one OEM will talk to the camera to give you live battery usage.

I use Phottix non chipped ones in my 5d2 with no detrement. The only thing is the battery level meter doesn't work.

I can buy 4 batteries and 2 chargers for every 5d2 genuine battery, They are higher power and last as long as the origional.

used 3rd party BP511s from 7 day shop for my 30D/50D which were great

had to buy another official one for my 7D though, as mentioned - don't get battery stats etc

(gripped)

Already have; the latest firmware for Lumix cameras stops you from using 3rd party batteries, so you have to pay through the nose for the Panasonic ones; just to safeguard your camera against dodgy fakes, of course. Panasonic really do care (y)

You can get cheap 3rd party batteries that will work with the latest firmware.

Shortly after I bought my D70, I had an e-mail from Nikon, recalling the battery (EN-EL3). I had already bought a spare from 7dayshop (one of their own brand ones, not a genuine Nikon one) so I could carry on shooting. When the replacement arrived, it was the grey EN-EL3e one, so when I bought a D200, I had a spare! Someone I knew had also upgraded but had disposed of their D70. Being a kind gentleman, he sent me his (7dayshop) spare EN-EL3 batteries, giving me 2 spares for the D70. When I sold the D200, only one of the EN-EL3e batteries went with it, since the new camera was a D700 which uses the same battery.
I very rarely exhaust any of the batteries, so can't comment on the capacities of the 7dayshop batteries compared to the genuine ones - besides, I never used the first full charge of the genuine one before I sent it back! The pattern ones I have all charge perfectly well in the Nikon chargers and give me more than enough charge for a day's shooting (to be honest, I don't think I need to take a charger on holiday; there seems to be enough capacity in the two batteries to last the whole fortnight!), all for a fraction of the cost of a genuine Nikon one.

I use both originals and 3rd party on my 20D, 40D AND 5DII.

The battery on the 5DII seems to last for some time. I can use the original until it runs out and switch to the 3rd party one if required. Given the 5D battery can last most of the day I don't see the 3rd party one getting that much use although I bought a grip so can use both in that together :)

Canon's pricing for a 7D/5DII battery in my opinion is shocking!

I use both originals and 3rd party on my 20D, 40D AND 5DII.

The battery on the 5DII seems to last for some time. I can use the original until it runs out and switch to the 3rd party one if required. Given the 5D battery can last most of the day I don't see the 3rd party one getting that much use although I bought a grip so can use both in that together :)

Canon's pricing for a 7D/5DII battery in my opinion is shocking!

i adopt the exact same approach and share the same view on the battery pricing.

Nothing like a Battery thread to bring out some paranoid and snobby opinions from some.

I bought My Lc1 in HK. In fact i know i was the first person to own one in the Uk. I bought 2 extra batteries from ebay for £18 TOTAL !! Yes TOTAL so that included the postage.

Now what was very very interesting ..... The "copy" batteries shared a Identical engineering mark of the "original" . I would say they came from the same factory and where sold off as "over run" with another sticker on them. They performed 100% as the "original"

People are fools to buy "genuine" batteries. 1/2 the so called Horror stories on the net are posted by the larger companies .

Companies like 7day etc test their batteries before they order 1000's etc, They would not sell junk.

Looking for a 3rd party battery as a spare, checked out 7dayshop and out of stock,tried picstop, same there. anyone suggest any other decent supplier.

I've been using third party batteries in both Nikon and Canon for years without issue - including the £7.99 fleabay one including home / car charger and delivery.

check out my other post HERE Two Genuine Nikon EN-EL3e Batteries left. £21.95

I've used third party batteries with all of my DSLRs at some point, but there are issues with my third party (Nikon) EN-EL3e copies :(. When inserted into the D700 grip, they screw up the reading on the battery meter on the top LCD display and if I put one my D90 grip (alongside a genuine Nikon one), the camera fails to function at all :( (although it works with just one third party battery and no grip).

Now I have to consider buying a couple of original Nikon ones, as mine are getting past their best.

Can anyone (Ali ;) ?) tell me the cheapest place to get EN-EL3es from, please :shrug:?

I've used third party batteries with all of my DSLRs at some point, but there are issues with my third party (Nikon) EN-EL3e copies :(. When inserted into the D700 grip, they screw up the reading on the battery meter on the top LCD display and if I put one my D90 grip (alongside a genuine Nikon one), the camera fails to function at all :( (although it works with just one third party battery and no grip).

Now I have to consider buying a couple of original Nikon ones, as mine are getting past their best.

Can anyone (Ali ;) ?) tell me the cheapest place to get EN-EL3es from, please :shrug:?

THAT'S EASY, Read my above message..............

Ive always used 3rd party as back up to makers own brand
Bob

THAT'S EASY, Read my above message..............

Thanks for the link Rocket, but they appear to have been sold now :|.

Besides, if they were anything like the only other Nikon battery on their website, they would have been used and the whole point of me getting new batteries is that mine are not holding their charge as well as they used to and I want more reliable back-ups.

Again, thanks for the thought :).

After a minor drama with a mate's camera many, many moons ago I would only ever use OEM batteries, never 3rd party...

No matter how good or how reliable (or cheap) there's eventually going to be one that goes pear-shaped and blows-up or leaks inside a camera. Fine if it's an OEM battery but if it's 3rd party, good luck getting the camera manufacturer to cover the repair bill...
Might be 1 in a Million, but if you happen to be the unlucky 1...

Thanks for the link Rocket, but they appear to have been sold now :|.

Besides, if they were anything like the only other Nikon battery on their website, they would have been used and the whole point of me getting new batteries is that mine are not holding their charge as well as they used to and I want more reliable back-ups.

Again, thanks for the thought :).

Yep looks like they have both gone, having said that you do get a warrenty with MPB,6mths ?. i think it goes for batteries...
Speck you are looking at £50-£65 pound for new...

i have 3 batterys for my D200. 1 original & 2 slightly higher capacity pattern ones.
i've used my camera with both types with no problems (so far) but whenever i use the grip i have both of the pattern batterys in there. never tried mixing & matching in the grip as i have 2 the same & it seems to work ok including the power guage & shot counting stuff.
so in my experience they seem ok so far :)

with modern battery technology (especially Lithium based cells) it seems that decent performance is a lot easier to attain & more readily available which should explain the cheap pricing (y)

I was out last week shooting at a nursery for a couple of days. 1500 shots each day and when I cheacked the batteries in the grip, the canon one still seemed to have 75% charge remaining!! Both were in the grip and I'd guess the cheap ebay battery I also have will be at a similar level - Need to check out how many shots I'd get from it. But I'm happy.

Back