OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Just when i thought i was out................they pull me back in!

13433347555_e13fb0a3bf_b.jpg

And on the F90 :)

13433344125_394811d68b_b.jpg
13433344125_394811d68b_b.jpg

What a little cracker this lens is, arrived today and i'm seriously impressed. Definitely undersold by Ffordes, they had it listed as Exc but i would love to see their idea of mint because it really is a beauty, a small mark on the front element but right on the edge and i can't see it having any effect. A nice and quirky little macro feature too :D

ive got that lens on my D800 and what a cracker it is too! Ive seen a cheap nikon in a charity shop on Saturday and was tempted to buy it just for that lens.

how cheap are we talking? Might be worth going back just for the lens if it's the right price :)

I think you've shown great restraint, i have very little when coming across camera gear in charity shops :LOL:

Quite a few of Nikon's 90s lenses looked exactly like that (only varying slightly in size and weight, but cosmetically and visually very similar), it's much more likely to be the 35-70mm f/3.3-4.5.

Yep, very true. This one is remarkably similar to my 70-210 in look and size if not a little smaller. That was a cracking lens too, only cost me something like £50 and provided me with some lovely shots, it's a shame that it's in that big camera shop in the sky now :(

Hmmm - shiny and sparkly - must get around to putting some of mine back into use :)

That's awesome, Scott. I love the blurb from Camerapedia too ... :D

A leaflet advertising the camera had factual information in Japanese only, and the following text in English only:

With the Fujipet Camera you can the pictures very easily just as you manipulate your knife and fork. So you are a good photographer from the instant when you have bought the Fujipet Camera. The Fujipet Camera enjoys great popularity among children, mothers and all the members of the family and affords happiness in all homes.

That Jupiter 9 is massive. Just out of interest, can you use one of those tape measures in the background to measure its diameter?

Steve.

If anybody has a Jupiter 9 LTM or sees one for sale at a reasonable price let me know. I'm not desperate so I'm not putting up a wanted thread it's that this thread has reawakened my interest.

That Jupiter 9 is massive. Just out of interest, can you use one of those tape measures in the background to measure its diameter?

Steve.

Diameter at the front is around 50mm. Here it is next to a Jupiter 11 (that annoyingly seems to have an M42 adaptor firmly stuck on) -
View attachment 9180

Very nice Charlotte. Both those lenses are very nice performers. I regret getting rid of my 135mm - I regularly find myself looking at them on ebay!

With thanks to the various people on threads answering questions about meters - £8.50 + pp from eBay. As the seller said, the case is tatty and the meter is immaculate. Took it out today with my YashicaMat, and it's a joy to use compared to metering with my dSLR, which is what I had to do before. We'll see how well it (and I) did when I get the film devved, but it does seem to match up with my D90 pretty well.

View attachment 9648

With thanks to the various people on threads answering questions about meters - £8.50 + pp from eBay. As the seller said, the case is tatty and the meter is immaculate. Took it out today with my YashicaMat, and it's a joy to use compared to metering with my dSLR, which is what I had to do before. We'll see how well it (and I) did when I get the film devved, but it does seem to match up with my D90 pretty well.

View attachment 9648

They are lovely pieces of Kit.

Mine reads about a full stop low.

I know this is from a while back but, that Rolleiflex is out of sight. I was thinking nice, as I looked through your acquisitions, then I saw the Rollei, WOW and WOW.

I will get it right sooner or later. Maybe.

I would delete this if I knew how.

Last edited:
Well after a dry period in terms of shooting because of work commitments I found my GAS really started to play up. Although when I reflected on this I did begin to feel that I did not have enough cameras or other kit! Well that is my excuse :D

So after a quick look around a local chain camera shop I found this in a £5.00 Bargain bin! I asked if it worked and none of the assistants knew! They said it has parts missing. I knew exactly which part was missing, the Sekonic High Slide. I took a punt and gave them £4.00. It works perfectly, is mint and I have a new High Slide ($12) en route. For an analogue meter it is remarkably good at the low light end. Very pleased with it and it is now replacing my Sekonic 308B
13007260713_f73516029f_z.jpg

Sadly (or happily!) my GAS remained unabated and I picked up this very nice Nikkormat FT2 in Charity Shop. It was in a very sorry cosmetic condition, indeed it was 'piggin' and it was hard to tell if it was black or chrome! Big thanks for the cleaning suggestions in another F&C thread. The Autosol did the trick although I need to clean some off the leather still. Stupidly I didn't take a before and after. Anyway it works perfectly, the seals are like new, the viewfinder is surprisingly bright for a mid 70's machine and the meter still works and is accurate. Also Nikon where visionary in that this camera used a single SR44 silver oxide battery and not the more ubiquitous at the time, but more problematic now, PX625. I am delighted with it and you can never have enough Nikons! It came with a nice 50mm f2 Nikkor with a ding in the filter thread, I will soon repair that when I have a little more time.

13007111465_d2b6eb3099_z.jpg

And the transgressions continued! My Rollei affliction is well documented and I have always fancied a Rollei 35mm SLR. I put a silly bid on this one on a certain auction site and won! It is in superb condition, the meter works (with a PX625!!!) and the viewfinder is massive and lovely. The seals are good but I am going to replace the mirror damping foam which looks a little dry. I have no Rollei 35mm glass at present so will be testing it with my range of Tamrons and a recently acquired Rollei 35 mount. The only possible issue with this classic 70's SLR is the manual is pretty uncompromising that to achieve the best results with this camera you do need to be wearing platforms and flares!
13007270723_7f727ba71b_z.jpg

Oh and finally, after some short deliberation,

I

Just

had

to

buy

this,

my bad!

A mint 1957 Rolleiflex 3.5E with a Planar, working meter and original ERC

13007525264_a98beb1dac_z.jpg

Well I have a fridge full of 120 film!

I know this is from a while back but, that Rolleiflex is out of sight. I was thinking nice, as I looked through your acquisitions, then I saw the Rollei, WOW and WOW.

Cheers Ron, it is a corker. The only downside to shooting with it is that it is almost impossible to use it without being noticed! On its three outings so far I have attracted lots of attention form young and old. So its become a sort ot talking point street discussion magnet rather than the 'stealth street shooter' I had intended! That said I have met some lovely people and enjoyed some very nice impromptu conversations.

Cheers Ron, it is a corker. The only downside to shooting with it is that it is almost impossible to use it without being noticed! On its three outings so far I have attracted lots of attention form young and old. So its become a sort ot talking point street discussion magnet rather than the 'stealth street shooter' I had intended! That said I have met some lovely people and enjoyed some very nice impromptu conversations.
As I posted a couple of weeks ago, I've had the exact same experience with my Yashica-Mat. I had another conversation yesterday that started with "sorry for bothering you, but is that a Brownie?" I think I've had at least 10 people talk to me about it now.

Reactions: Jao
Cracking piece of advice in the Weston manual, too. Something like "for colour film, seek out even lighting and use colour as your source of contrast", something I hadn't really fully considered before. Obviously one of those ubiquitous rules to be broken sometimes, but I think it'll help me look for shots.

As I posted a couple of weeks ago, I've had the exact same experience with my Yashica-Mat. I had another conversation yesterday that started with "sorry for bothering you, but is that a Brownie?" I think I've had at least 10 people talk to me about it now.

Shooting with my 3.5E a couple of weeks ago, I too was asked whether it was a 4x4 Brownie!

A nice chap at work brought me in a Kodak Retinette 1B today which was nice of him. All the shutter speeds seem accurate if only I could figure out how to change the aperture I would be a happy man!

I still have my father's 1b on which he took hundreds of excellent Kodachrome photographs. The aperture is changed by moving the black tab. The f numbers and index mark are on the side of the lens barrel. I doubt that the selenium meter will still work, but if it does, you centre the needle in the viewfinder by moving that tab.

I was messing with that tab I didn't know that changed the aperture! I think the meter is still good because as I was moving the tab back and forth the needle was doing its thing. I should be able to stick a roll through it this weekend hopefully. Looking forward to it.

OK here's a collection of film-related stuff I've acquired recently. First, a Tamron Adaptall-2 f/2.5 135mm close focus lens. It's a nice lens and a stop faster than my Pentax-M lens, but it's actually quite front-heavy. Sitting on @stevelmx5 's K mount!

Second, on recommendations from the "daft idea" thread, a Pentax right-angled viewer. I was surprised to find when I used it yesterday that it inverts the image (left to right); I thought I had read somewhere that this was one that didn't! Anyway, not expensive and useful in the right circumstances. I had been planning to take it to Suffolk, and searched everywhere for it, only to discover it on the car seat when I got home.

Finally, my son lent me his unused Olympus XA, which appears in farirly good nick:

However, I've put new batteries in, they work with the battery test, but the shutter speed needle in the viewfinder doesn't budge. Are there any common failings there that are easily fixed? If not, it will turn out he has lent it to me (rather than given it!)...

Last edited:
Finally, my son lent me his unused Olympus XA, which appears in farirly good nick:

However, I've put new batteries in, they work with the battery test, but the shutter speed needle in the viewfinder doesn't budge. Are there any common failings there that are easily fixed? If not, it will turn out he has lent it to me (rather than given it!)...

That's a coincidence; I tried to load one of my two XAs this morning, prior to putting it in the back pocket of my cycling jersey for a run up the coast. There was no power and the shutter wouldn't fire, so I took the film out and loaded the other one. On my return, I found the batteries had the slightest bit of corrosion which had found its way up the negative wire and eaten it away from the connector. I took the bottom, top and front cover off, I still couldn't get to the wire to strip its end. Even if I had, I wouldn't have been able to get a soldering iron in on the tab.

In short, the thing's a miracle of miniaturisation and completely impossible to dismantle completely. I think the only easy fix would be to resolder to the positive terminal. Regrading the non functioning meter needle, well I've heard that it's a separate metering cell from the one that does the actual control, so it might well expose OK. Just think of your camera as an XA2 with a rangefinder and aperture control.

OK here's a collection of film-related stuff I've acquired recently. First, a Tamron Adaptall-2 f/2.5 135mm close focus lens. It's a nice lens and a stop faster than my Pentax-M lens, but it's actually quite front-heavy. Sitting on @stevelmx5 's K mount!

Second, on recommendations from the "daft idea" thread, a Pentax right-angled viewer. I was surprised to find when I used it yesterday that it inverts the image (left to right); I thought I had read somewhere that this was one that didn't! Anyway, not expensive and useful in the right circumstances. I had been planning to take it to Suffolk, and searched everywhere for it, only to discover it on the car seat when I got home.

Can't help with the XA, but I do like the Tamron 135, I have area soft spot for Tamron lenses, I have a few and they allow for trying different bodies. Optically I also think many of them are really good performers.

Thanks guys. I guess I should put a roll of Poundland's finest through the XA before declaring it a total wipeout! I may put the Tamron up in the classifieds... without the mount, I think!

Thanks guys. I guess I should put a roll of Poundland's finest through the XA before declaring it a total wipeout! I may put the Tamron up in the classifieds... without the mount, I think!

Well I don't have an XA but in case you have forgotten about the money saving tip of:- just take a few test shots and rewind the film, take the film out and put it in another camera to use that's OK.

View attachment 10027

eBay. Arrived in the post today. I've dry-fired it a few times, admired the view through the WLF, and panicked because the shutter speed didn't seem to work. To be fair, it only took me maybe 4 minutes to check the battery compartment . . .

Gotta wait until my batteries are delivered by Amazon before I take it out. Not going to waste a roll on a sequence of 1/500th shots :D Very happy with it so far, though. Apart from some rubbing on the winding handle and on the mirror-lockup lever, it's pretty minty.

One question - is it right that the mirror is locked up until I cock the shutter, or is that part of the lock-up functionality that I don't understand yet?

Edit: oh, and will any 67mm pinch lens cap work, or do I have to get a proper push-on one?

Last edited:
That's how it works on a 500C/M, for what that's worth. I'd double check in the manual because it will definitely say!

That's how it works on a 500C/M, for what that's worth. I'd double check in the manual because it will definitely say!
Cheers! I've had a couple of reads through the manual, but can't find anything that specifically says it, but if Hasseblad do it, it's gotta be right, eh? :D

View attachment 10027

eBay. Arrived in the post today. I've dry-fired it a few times, admired the view through the WLF, and panicked because the shutter speed didn't seem to work. To be fair, it only took me maybe 4 minutes to check the battery compartment . . .

Nice looking camera you have there. :)

View attachment 10027
One question - is it right that the mirror is locked up until I cock the shutter, or is that part of the lock-up functionality that I don't understand yet?

After each shot, you'll need to wind the crank to both drop the mirror and cock the shutter, yes.

View attachment 10027
Edit: oh, and will any 67mm pinch lens cap work, or do I have to get a proper push-on one?

Any 67mm lens cap should work. The very old-school Bronica SQ lens caps were push-on, but most SQ caps are pinch caps, as far as I'm aware.

Nice looking camera you have there. :)

After each shot, you'll need to wind the crank to both drop the mirror and cock the shutter, yes.

Any 67mm lens cap should work. The very old-school Bronica SQ lens caps were push-on, but most SQ caps are pinch caps, as far as I'm aware.

All the best people own an SQ-A, so I've heard ;-)

Thanks for the replies, glad it's working as it's supposed to.

Two very closely related toys from me. I got a Brownie Reflex primarily for my 3 year to play with, he likes playing with my cameras but looking through the vf is a slightly ethereal concept at the moment. He, like most, does like the RB67 vf but he can't really carry it with my helicoptering over him so I though a little toy would be just the thing. It is he loves it.

I thought I'd have a play too but the source side is too small for a 35mm cartridge so I just had to get another 127 camera as a source of anther spool so I could rewind with some fresh film. I got a brownie 127 for a pound, upon receiving it I opened it to check for a spool with out first checking it wasn't loaded, I ruined a couple of frames of a very old Boots 127 mono film but after developing I got a couple of images, two 127 spools and a backing paper. Jackpot!

Rolled some DIY 127 film and ran it through the Reflex. It did work but there might be some tension issues...

Brownie Reflex012 by steveo_mcg, on Flickr

Back