OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Mmmmm TLR goodness :)

I'm not sure how this happened..

hmm, :rolleyes:

what is the camera equivalent of the tooth fairy, cos "I dunno" just ain't washing

we need some kind of random variable, clearly beyond our control to explain away this phenomenon....:D

Last edited:
WoW !! Looks in MINT condition and must be all of 53 years old !! Maybe owned by a ;Little Old Lady' who never drove it faster than 29.9 MPH ( Oh that is a Car Salesman talking -- )

hmm, :rolleyes:

what is the camera equivalent of the tooth fairy, cos "I dunno" just ain't washing

we need some kind of random variable, clearly beyond our control to explain away this phenomenon....:D

Aah, there is more in heaven and on earth than is in your philosophy Horatio.

WoW !! Looks in MINT condition and must be all of 53 years old !! Maybe owned by a ;Little Old Lady' who never drove it faster than 29.9 MPH ( Oh that is a Car Salesman talking -- )

There's a couple of little paint scratches here and there, but it is in excellent condition. Most importantly, the lenses are perfect.

The focus screen is a bit dull so I've ordered a new one from Rick Olsen.

@Andysnap How fiddly are those little spring clips Andy?

Of the two cameras I have changed screens on one spring broke in half. They appeared at the time to be impossible to find but with a bit of fiddling and superglue I was able to affect a repair and the screen stayed in place with no focus issues .Take your time and be careful !!!

C

@simon ess

I changed the screen in mine with no problems mate. Just be careful as they can ping off into space but they are fairly straightforward to remove and replace.

It's a contraction of "will he, nil he", ie "will he, won't he"...

Actually while the first part is right, I think I got the second it wrong; I think it means "whether he does or does not", or "whether he wants to or not".

Oops.
Just bought a 137MA.

Ah! The mighty Chinon!
They started making Yashicas after the FX D, at the end of the Yashica/Contax era.
That was when everything went plastic after the heavy days of the FR1

Most of the Contaxes and Yashicas have no coverings nowadays but they generally still work, which is just as well
as you have to have something to put a Zeiss lens on.

It would be nice to have an 85 f1.4 ...

Well I don't know much about Chinon and Dixons probably dragged the name down....all I wanted was a camera that took M42 lenses and can be set for semi auto or manual, and also had a metal shutter. Maybe other makes were available but this Chinon (CE) does what it says on the tin..so I'm happy..

You'll be posting test shots on the erm other site with your contax lenses on a digi ;)

Last edited:
I might do :)

I prefer to use them on the cameras they were designed for. There's something about a split image and microprism that appeals to me.

I was GIVEN a Chinon CG-5 and it gives very good results -- the lens is perfectly useable at full aperture and takes all my Pentax 'K' lenses ---
Chinon CG-5 2 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Reactions: Jao
I was GIVEN a Chinon CG-5 and it gives very good results -- the lens is perfectly useable at full aperture and takes all my Pentax 'K' lenses ---
Chinon CG-5 2 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Not something I looked at for my first camera. I just liked the FR1 as soon as I picked it up, it just felt 'right' to me.
My mate had a Canon AE 1 Program. It didn't feel right :)

To me the T70 feels right with no clutter in front like some cameras.. if they made the case on the right side a knobbly pattern it would be even better for grip.
canon_4.jpg

Went to a car boot this afternoon on the hunt for film cameras (and also "Disney clasic" dvd's that my girlfriend is trying to collect all 50 odd of). One of the cameras I picked up was an Olympus Mju Zoom for £2.50. Been thinking about getting an XA or XA2 for a bit so was glad to find something similar. Been looking around on ebay to see what they go for and there don't seem to be many Mju Zooms, just lots of Mju II's. Ahh well, I'm sure it was worth the money :D need to get a new battery for it before I can try it out but I'm looking forward to being able to take it out everywhere with me.

Condition is pretty minty too :)

20150920_152728.jpg

There are lots of mju zooms around, but they go for much less money than the non-zoom varieties. I guess the compromises packing a zoom into a "full frame" body that small don't equate with the very best optics!

I think I need to get one for my 'Flex, they are a big improvement.

I should be getting one of these in the next couple of days (Polaroid 355);

355.jpg

I'm not planning on doing anything more radical than a AAA battery conversion and a pack of FP100C but quite fancied having a play with it :0)
I'll be interested to see how you do the AAA battery conversion, my ham fisted attempts (this is not a Cameron inspired perversion) have been unsuccessful.

Looking around it seems to be relatively painless by just using a 3xAAA holder from a cheap torch and either soldering it permanently to the existing wires or fitting a standard PP3 connector and clipping the original connectors to it. As far as I can see, the original battery clip is held in with a single screw so once that's out of the way it might just need a little 'tickling' (technical term..) with a Dremel to make the new holder fit.

...or it could be a nightmare and I'll still be swearing in a weeks' time!

Last edited:
Now I just need a camera to test it on :0)

Before

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1443474477.685605.jpg

After

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1443474491.757175.jpg

I might need to shorten the wires once I know how much room there is but apart from that it's good to go.

Edit: I've just realised that I'll need to swap over the connection terminals so I can connect them direct to the original terminals. Solder job for tonight :0)

Last edited:
I needed an m42 body to try out the charity shop Helios I have. Popped into Cash Generators today, they had this immaculate Praktika MTL5 with a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 2.8 50mm for £20. Not a bargain as such, but a decent price I think, and they give a 6 month warranty.

praktika-1.jpg

Back