OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

I just took a closer look at the differences between the Vito II and IIa and I see that the IIa has a scale for EV as well as aperture and speed. Also better check the lens front diameter as I saw a 32mm push on lens hood for sale advertised as being for a Vito, though the model wasn't identified.

I bought some stereo plates. Almost hoped that they were Lumiere Autochromes, the advertising suggested so, not so, Never mind, an interesting box of plates.

I found this book, perhaps from the same time. It is a very comprehensive, for every type of emulsion there are formulae (speaking of which, shouldn't the web site refer to fora rather than forums?) . The stamp on the outside refers to the shop which sold this photographic font of all knowledge, in Grenoble. The book sold for 3F, not sure how that would equate to today's prices.

The book has a very detailed description of the Autochrome process and processing.

1683729549069.jpeg

There are a few pages devoted to estimating exposure times, like an Ilford exposure calculator but in the form of multiple tables.

All-in all, an indispensable guide to photography in the 1920's.

Arrived!!! the condition is unbelievable

sxzHG6e.jpg

p5hrn0j.jpg

IKVjqCZ.jpg

vJ5M0ew.jpg

mleZDox.jpg

0FbDG5S.jpg

FEuaPCP.jpg

UumRyZp.jpg

Courtesy of @Plankton (thanks George) via my wanted thread in the classifieds i am now the very happy owner of a 35mm f2 AIs that I’ve been after for a while and, as a bonus, a beautiful 24mm f2.8. Both in great condition and I’m looking forward to using them soon. IMG_1382.jpegIMG_1381.jpeg

My favourite lens on the Nikon system. Maybe not the most exciting or the fastest... but versatile and a very useful focal length.

An impulsive purchase…

Mamiya 6MF.

Got to say, great service by the team at West Yorkshire Cameras. I had been scouting eBay for a lens hood and to my surprise people are asking (and paying) £130!

When the camera arrived I was very happy to see one included that wasn’t in the photos as well as a Yorkshire gold teabag

Attachments

• IMG_4039.jpeg
    IMG_4039.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 18
An impulsive purchase…

Mamiya 6MF.

Got to say, great service by the team at West Yorkshire Cameras. I had been scouting eBay for a lens hood and to my surprise people are asking (and paying) £130!

When the camera arrived I was very happy to see one included that wasn’t in the photos as well as a Yorkshire gold teabag

An excellent purchase. I loved my M6, and do miss it...especially when I'm lugging my Pentax 67 around.

The 50mm is a great lens, and well worth picking up if you see one for a good price. It's a bit shorter than the 75mm, so it collapses very nicely into the body, making for an even better travel camera. I'm not sure I ever took mine off until the day it was sold.

The only thing I wasn't a fan of was the meter, which tended to under-expose a little. Angling it down 20 degrees seemed to help, but I found my hand-held meter a bit more consistent. I had the earlier 'non-MF' version, so maybe it was improved in your later version? I'd suggest burning through a test roll to check the meter in different lighting conditions before taking any important photos.

Enjoy! :)

An excellent purchase. I loved my M6, and do miss it...especially when I'm lugging my Pentax 67 around.

The 50mm is a great lens, and well worth picking up if you see one for a good price. It's a bit shorter than the 75mm, so it collapses very nicely into the body, making for an even better travel camera. I'm not sure I ever took mine off until the day it was sold.

The only thing I wasn't a fan of was the meter, which tended to under-expose a little. Angling it down 20 degrees seemed to help, but I found my hand-held meter a bit more consistent. I had the earlier 'non-MF' version, so maybe it was improved in your later version? I'd suggest burning through a test roll to check the meter in different lighting conditions before taking any important photos.

Enjoy! :)

D’ya know I looked at the 50mm but prices are around £600!

Plus the 75mm is actually shorter but length isn’t everything. 43mm vs 55mm.

Thanks for the tip, I had read good things about the meter but seems the AE Lock is a useful tool..

I have happy memories of reading the 1972 SLR Yearbook and trying to choose between the Nikkormat and the Spotmatic, neither of which I could afford. I ended up with the much more affordable Praktica Super TL, but went on to buy a secondhand Nikkormat FT3 some years later and stayed loyal to Nikon thereafter. My Nikkormat is now out of storage and in regular use (it was used for the picture below), but I’ve often wondered what I might have missed out on. I am about to find out.000005920001.jpeg

I have happy memories of reading the 1972 SLR Yearbook and trying to choose between the Nikkormat and the Spotmatic, neither of which I could afford. I ended up with the much more affordable Praktica Super TL, but went on to buy a secondhand Nikkormat FT3 some years later and stayed loyal to Nikon thereafter. My Nikkormat is now out of storage and in regular use (it was used for the picture below), but I’ve often wondered what I might have missed out on. I am about to find out.View attachment 391218

A life full of Pentax!

...and quite appropriately after that: in my continuing renewed devotion to all things Pentax, I have just acquired a nice little Pentax Auto 110 outfit (body, 3 lenses, motor drive, flash, all with pouches and in a presentation box) for a knock down price, including some expired film still in sealed wrappers. I'm beginning to pursue the brand in digital now, but this adds to my S1a, SV, SP, SP F, Spotmatic, SP500, SP1000, KX, MX, LX, MZ5 all of which work ok, and all of which have been exercised at least once in the last couple of years (I think...).

The 110 will be tried out over coming weeks. I will probably send the film off to Analogue Wonderland who offer a 110 service, but may knock up a b&w dev/scan solution after that.

I can't resist Tamron lenses. They came with Olympus mounts, so I'm testing on my OM-2SP, but I will be used on some incoming Contax cameras
View attachment 391480

View attachment 391485

Me neither. ;)

I have never found anything to beat an AD2 lens for price and performance. Some of mine, who have turned to the dark side! :naughty:

View attachment 391489

Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses were the best of the Indy manufacturers in the early to mid 1980's (y)

I can't resist Tamron lenses. They came with Olympus mounts, so I'm testing on my OM-2SP, but I will be used on some incoming Contax cameras
View attachment 391480

View attachment 391485
I have two, a 500mm mirror lens and a 90mm macro with 1:1 adapter. Talking about the dark side, I've used the 500 on my EOS 6D (manual focus) successfully to take some shots at a cricket match. I've hardly used the macro lens as I have a Sigma 1:1 autofocus lens. I'm sorry for the digital references but these Tamron lenses are excellent, very well made, as are the Vivitar Series 1 lenses.

Another Tamron SP fan here. Other non-oem manufacturers that got good writeups in the photo press were Tokina and Kiron.

Well I have quite a few Tamron lenses and agree Tamron SP are very good and like some non SP, also like some Kiron. When lenses (and cameras) were being dumped (years ago) had a hobby of picking up all the hidden gems that were mentioned on forums and have so many lenses (last count was about 60) I'll never get around to using them all :(

Recently picked up this 1959 Yashica 35, only needed to clean the split prism, looking forward to using it.View attachment 391491
Lovely, is it a rangefinder?
How big is that camera, I’d love to hear your impressions after using it, samples etc

D’ya know I looked at the 50mm but prices are around £600!

Plus the 75mm is actually shorter but length isn’t everything. 43mm vs 55mm.

Thanks for the tip, I had read good things about the meter but seems the AE Lock is a useful tool..
The 75 is the one anyway, the 50 has too much distortion for my taste, I don't even like it much for scape, in fact I could probably dump the 50 and 150 because I never use either of them.
But then again, its a set, why bust it up..:cautious:

Anyway, the 75 is shorter than the 50 but in actual real world use there isn't much in it.
The 150 however, is a whopper.
Mounted but collapsed -

50mm.jpg

75mm.jpg

150mm.jpg

harbat Gula was one of the students in an informal school at the Nasir Bagh refugee camp in 1984. Her photograph was taken by National Geographic Society photographer Steve McCurry, on Kodachrome 64 color slide film, with a Nikon FM2 camera and Nikkor 105mm Ai-S F2.5 lens.[7] The pre-print retouching of the photograph was done by Graphic Art Service, based in Marietta, Georgia. McCurry did not record the name of the person he had photographed.
Recent pictures of her seems to show she had a hard life getting older. :(

Photo Cinema July 1935
Published by camera shop Photo-Plait (owner Henri Plait), 35, Rue Lafayette, Paris-Opera (special offers for 14th July, naturally). 400 pages. Incredibly comprehensive, I wonder if pre-war French photographers with GAS would read it from cover to cover? Well, that's the sort of thing I like to do.

IMG_1926.jpg

Own brand 9x12 plate camera. Clam a free leather case worth 22 francs (following payment in full).

IMG_1935.jpg

Sample pages of paper backdrops, small samples pasted into the catalogue. Not the Lumiere bookmark.

IMG_1928.jpg

I'm going to need help from my Oxford-Hachette dictionary I think.

I am made up with actually finding and buying a 5 pack of Velvia 50 brand new,
I'll get that straight in the freezer and save it for special occasions.
View attachment 395294

Are you planning to do what I do - wait so long for the special occasion that it's expired by the time you shoot it? :LOL:

Back