Official Talk Leica thread

Hi, the sky over Andeer/CH ... (M9 - ZEISS Distagon 1,4/35 f 4) :

(This is the first picture of stars I took with my M9. - For proper astro-photography, you need converted high ISO cameras and tracking devices. My wife does this.)
that’s loads better than when I tried this with the m9!

Hi, I put the M9 on the railings of the balcony and used the self timer of the shutter.
L1019022.LR.jpg

I got this!! It's a 24 sec exposure.

Just to help visualise how bad this is, at the time you could see the milkyway with the naked eye there was no light pollution at all!!!

Hi, during the lunch break of the MAC 2022 event ... (M9 - LEITZ Summicron 2/35 v4, f 2,8 ; crop) :

L1009477_DxO-L35c-c.jpg

The thank-you I found in the mail when returning from Switzerland :

PA092706-tp.jpg

OT - I took pics of the cars on the road with my NIKON D850, which is more suitable for this than my M9 :

DSC_4652-d850cc.jpg

Hi, the view from Wergenstein/CH ... (M9 - VOIGTLÄNDER 5,6/12 Ultra Wide-Heliar M39 f 8):

L1029167_DxO-v12.jpg

(The 12mm has been discontinued by VOIGTLÄNDER. Next year, I shall take the 15mm, of which I have the latest version 3, to Switzerland to see if it flares less ... )

Last edited:
Hi, on the road in Switzerland ... (SONY NEX5N - LEITZ Summicron 2/35 v4 ; f 4):

DSC04556-nex5-L35c-4.jpg

My pocket combo :

tp-PA092707.jpg

(The IQ is not embarrassing, I think. And it is very "pocketable" ... )

Hi, ... (SONY NEX5N - ZEISS Biogon 4,5/21 f 4,5 ; crop) :

DSC04597-nex5-z35b-45-c.jpg

(On the M9, the Biogon shows colour-shift. On the APS-C NEX5N it works fine. ( I should try to find out how it performs on higher res cams in APS-C mode.)

It has a close focusing distance of 0,50m. With the VOIGTLÄNDER VM-E Close focus adapter this goes down even further. So, it is not an absurd combination ... )

Last edited:
Nothing to write home about - but first little walkabout with the Leica Q2 Monochrome around town tonight.
Didn't really mess about with any settings yet (and used Auto ISO) - but I did like how the camera worked.
Now just gotta get to grips with all the settings etc... an most images were with ISO 12500 (or more).
(bought it second hand - so have a two week period to use it and if anything pops up.. can still cancel the purchase.. so gonna shoot a lot ;-) )
Ekenas1.jpg

Hi, ... (SONY NEX5N - ZEISS Biogon 4,5/21 f 4,5 ; crop) :

View attachment 370449

(1) On the M9, the Biogon shows colour-shift. On the APS-C NEX5N it works fine. ( 2) I should try to find out how it performs on higher res cams in APS-C mode.)

It has a close focusing distance of 0,50m. With the VOIGTLÄNDER VM-E Close focus adapter this goes down even further. So, it is not an absurd combination ... )

Hi, ad 2): This is something for a rainy day. Using the Biogon on my SONY A7R2 is pointless. I have the excellent ZEISS Loxia 2,8/21.
But it may make a little more sense to find out how the Biogon works on the M11, which has res reduction and cropping ("digital zoom").

ad 1): On my M9 :

f 4,5 :

L1010146_DxO-z21b-45.jpg

f 5,6 :

L1010147_DxO-z21b-56.jpg

f 8 :

L1010148_DxO-z21b-8.jpg

A wall of my house. f 4,5 :

L1010155_DxO-z21b-4.jpg

f 5,6 :

L1010156_DxO-z21b-56.jpg

f 8 :

L1010157_DxO-z21b-8.jpg

The light on the wall was not uniform. So, I tilted the camera to get a better capture of the corners of the house opposite.

f 4,5 :

L1010158_DxO-z21b-45.jpg

f 5,6 :

L1010159_DxO-z21b-56.jpg

f 8 :

L1010160_DxO-z21b-8.jpg

I do not see massive colour shift. But a slight green and pink hue. The lower right corner is almost fine, the upper left shows some more vignetting than the right one.

A final rehabilitation of the 21mm Biogon requires more real life usage, I think ...

- P.S.: CAVEATS. The pics above were taken with :

- M9 with new sensor

- firmware 1.216

- manually in menu selected lens profile # 11134

With other parameters your colours may vary ... (;) )

Last edited:
Hi, Schwetzingen Classic Gala 2022 ... (M9 - Summarit 2,,5/50 f 2,8) :

L1009743_DxO-L50s-c.jpg

L1009739_DxO-L50s-c.jpg

L1009734_DxO-L50s-c.jpg

L1009735_DxO-L50s-c.jpg

The thank-you for my pics from the organizers ... :

DSC04593-nx5-c.jpg

(The organizers want to pay me. But then, I would have to declare the payment for income tax.

And doing all the calculations would take so much time that I would be working for minimum wage.

So, a thank-you is enough for me ... )

nice when they want to pay.. 1.)no cash in hand then huh? or 2.)liquid payment?

Leica M10 + 28mm voigtlander (probably)
Vienna, Schonbrunn Palace

Hi, ad 1): the organizers will declare cash payments as expenses in their books, with names of recipients. Which can be checked by tax authorities.

And then one might have new pen-pals ...

ad 2): Schwetzingen is 90km from my home. Accepting a substantial liquid payment at the press reception might damage the star on the hood on my way home ...

So, I leave it as it is. I enjoy the beautiful cars, the quiet time before the general public comes, and the VIP parking.

Hi, an M6 come-back :

A re-show of my dear M6 :

DSC09877-nex3-s28c.jpg

DSC09879-nex3-s28c.jpg

DSC09880-nex3-s28c.jpg

DSC09878-nex3-s28c.jpg

I bought it in 1988 with the Summicron and the Tele-Elmarit 2,8/90, and used it till 2003 when I went digital.

My M6 looks less worn after 13 years of usage than my M9 from 2010. But cameras were used less in the past than today.

On holiday, I needed one slide film/day and I was a "power user" then.

Of course I used other cameras then, too : Minolta XD7, ROLLEI GX 2.8, Fuji Gs645, ROLLEI 35s ...

But maybe, Leica quality was higher in the past.

The M6 seems to be still in demand judging from ebay deals. -

I put my M6 in my cupboard again, where it will be together with other unused toys from the past ... ---

Last edited:
Hi, an M6 come-back :

A re-show of my dear M6 :

View attachment 370957

View attachment 370959

View attachment 370960

View attachment 370958

I bought it in 1988 with the Summicron and the Tele-Elmarit 2,8/90, and used it till 2003 when I went digital.

My M6 looks less worn after 13 years of usage than my M9 from 2010. But cameras were used less in the past than today.

Of course I used other cameras then, too : Minolta XD7, ROLLEI GX 2.8, Fuji Gs645, ROLLEI 35s ...

I put my M6 in my cupboard again, where it will be together with other unused toys from the past ... ---
It's a shame to put it away, try a film through it you might get the bug again. (y)

Hi, an M6 come-back :

There's a song from LL Cool J, that (IIRC) starts with the lyric "don't call it a come back, I've been here for years" :-D

It's a shame to put it away, try a film through it you might get the bug again. (y)

Well, maybe I will. - But using film again, and scanning or having the film scanned is quite a lot of effort.

And my M9s feel very much like the M6, so I do not miss too much not using it.

I shall not sell it, because it always brings back happy memories ... ---

Well, maybe I will. - But using film again, and scanning or having the film scanned is quite a lot of effort.

And my M9s feel very much like the M6, so I do not miss too much not using it.

I shall not sell it, because it always brings back happy memories ... ---
I hear you Immo, TBH I have MP, M2 and M4-P but rarely put a film through them. I love the immediacy of digital since I can go out and just take 1/2 a dozen shots and have them straight away where with film I'd have to wait until I'd finished the roll (or waste it). These days most of my film shooting is on Medium Format (12 shots/roll) so I can easily use a roll on an outing without wasting shots or just using them to get the roll finished. I still keep my 35mm stuff though for times when I know I can use a whole roll on a shoot in the same day (or reasonable quickly) as I still like the process of shooting film and like the results. I treat my M9s like film cameras anyway, no chimping and 99% on base ISO rarely changing ISO during a shoot.

Last edited:
Hi, I see, using MF cameras with films makes more sense. I could use my ROLLEI 2,8 GX again (if I find it) or the Fuji GS645.

We shall see ...

Still not the lowest of ISO for this - but ISO2000 and definitely better than ISO12800 and over :) (funny that)
And also - not the most interesting subject to photograph - just took this on my way to work shooting a basketball game at this Arena.
(autumn is a gloomy and dark time here in Finland)

Shot - with Leica Q2 Monochrome ...
NotMostInt.jpg

I have been away from photography for a few years, having sold my Leica SL and glass, apart from a Sigma 45 f2.8 DG DN.

I have just purchased a Leica SL2-S, im looking to add 1 Leica SL lens to the camera and cant decide between the SL 50 1.4 or SL 35 2.0, I know the 50 is big and heavy but that doesnt really bother me, I love shooting wide open with my lenses. Also love how both lenses render the colour, and give a very smooth feel, with a superb sharpness. I know they are different in many ways but I just can choose between them, my plan is to just have the 1 lens (cant afford 2).
So my question if your in this situation which do you go for ?

thanks

Mark

Hi, above I said I wanted to look into the colour shift issues of (M9 - ZEISS Biogon 4,5/21). A few pics taken at Rüdesheim/D, all at f 8:

1)

L1010201_DxO-z21b-8.jpg

2)

L1010202_DxO-z21b-8.jpg

3)

L1010204_DxO-z21b-8.jpg

1) looks nice, 2 and 3 don't. - The problem here is - of course - that once one has seen a phenomenon, it is difficult to "unsee" it.

A casual viewer might not see the light pink hue. ---

So, is the colour shift of the 21mm Biogon a serious flaw, or a "can-happen-problem" like flaring, which can be avoided ?

Which brings us to the next series focusing on flaring tomorrow ...

I have been away from photography for a few years, having sold my Leica SL and glass, apart from a Sigma 45 f2.8 DG DN.

I have just purchased a Leica SL2-S, im looking to add 1 Leica SL lens to the camera and cant decide between the SL 50 1.4 or SL 35 2.0, I know the 50 is big and heavy but that doesnt really bother me, I love shooting wide open with my lenses. Also love how both lenses render the colour, and give a very smooth feel, with a superb sharpness. I know they are different in many ways but I just can choose between them, my plan is to just have the 1 lens (cant afford 2).
So my question if your in this situation which do you go for ?

thanks

Mark
If I could only have 1 lens between those 2 it would be the 35mm for flexibility, I find a 50 a bit too narrow for a lot of general photography.

Back