Official Talk Leica thread

Hi folks.

Anyone have any thoughts on what's the best bang for the buck with a digital M mount rangefinder? I was saving for an M10, but lost my job so that's out unless I sell my Ikon or MP and I don't really want to do that unless I have to. If it's really the best choice though, I'll go away and do the maths.

- Needs to be interchangeable lens. I've toyed with the idea of an X100/Q, but I swap between 28 & 35 quite regularly.
- Mostly to be used for street & travel. Won't be printing big (megapickles not a concern) but would be nice to have good ISO performance up to 3200
- Almost certainly will be converting everything to B&W so colour performance not an issue.
- Sharpness isn't critical to me, as I don't like the ultra-sharp look of modern digital anyway, but having something good would be useful.
- Don't want to buy anything that has unreliability issues.
I was in the leica store early march and suggested a look at the bigger SL2 (they had an offer on but it was for new only and around 6-8k (you got a leica lens half price with the body).
I also asked about the q2 as some of the pictures posted make it look good. But it is a fixed 28mm lens (I believe).

I had an M240 before the M10. It was a good camera, but I missed the ISO on it, and this is where the m10 steps in. So if you can, try to look for one of these (they might have a version P out for a quieter shutter).

The Monochrome may suit, I am unsure of its ISO (but that can be found online) and whether there is a good deal atm.
I find that the staff in the stores are knowledgeable and usually very friendly, so easiest would be to pop in a local store (assuming there is one localish to you) and spend a bit of time with them. If they have the cameras you want in stock/store they might be able to show you side by side and tell you the better points... Then at least you will know which you want to get and have a target.. plus you can ask them to contact you should one appear in their secondhand list.

Leica Amsterdam (local to me) has:
- an m10 for 4.4k euro
- an m240 for 3k-4k
No monochromes atm

Hi folks.

Anyone have any thoughts on what's the best bang for the buck with a digital M mount rangefinder? I was saving for an M10, but lost my job so that's out unless I sell my Ikon or MP and I don't really want to do that unless I have to. If it's really the best choice though, I'll go away and do the maths.

- Needs to be interchangeable lens. I've toyed with the idea of an X100/Q, but I swap between 28 & 35 quite regularly.
- Mostly to be used for street & travel. Won't be printing big (megapickles not a concern) but would be nice to have good ISO performance up to 3200
- Almost certainly will be converting everything to B&W so colour performance not an issue.
- Sharpness isn't critical to me, as I don't like the ultra-sharp look of modern digital anyway, but having something good would be useful.
- Don't want to buy anything that has unreliability issues.
Depends what the budget is.

M240 is still going to run you close to £3k. M10’s can be found as low as £3.4 if you look around.

Other potential option if cash is tight and you want the real rangefinder experience would be an M8 which can be had for possibly cheaper than a used X100v. There seems to be a lot love out there currently for M8’s.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think sleeping on it has had sense win out. I really don't need a digital M - the film cameras I have are good enough. The prices are just too rich for my blood.

Nice shots! how are you finding it compared to your SL?
I love it .... The SL files are superb but the kit was a little too big for what I wanted from a system. I want to have a camera with me to use more often - if that makes sense.

Watched many videos and after watching a Thorsten Overgaard one on the many different bodies with the pros / cons I settled on an M240 as a way into the M system at a reasonable cost .... picked one up for a good price from Leica Mayfair with the Visoflex thrown in.

The rangefinder focusing seems accurate and I'm sure there will be a learning curve - it must be 35 years since I've used manual focus and a rather basic metering system !! On the latter though it is surprising how quickly you start to intuitively know what sort of exposure comp is required based on the subject .... one of those skills probably learnt over many years without registering.

Overall it is a keeper

Simon

I love it .... The SL files are superb but the kit was a little too big for what I wanted from a system. I want to have a camera with me to use more often - if that makes sense.

Watched many videos and after watching a Thorsten Overgaard one on the many different bodies with the pros / cons I settled on an M240 as a way into the M system at a reasonable cost .... picked one up for a good price from Leica Mayfair with the Visoflex thrown in.

The rangefinder focusing seems accurate and I'm sure there will be a learning curve - it must be 35 years since I've used manual focus and a rather basic metering system !! On the latter though it is surprising how quickly you start to intuitively know what sort of exposure comp is required based on the subject .... one of those skills probably learnt over many years without registering.

Overall it is a keeper

Simon
Definitely makes sense. i tend to take my M every where and look forward to using It each time. The size and weight makes it very viable for EDC.

Hi, a PANTHER in Boppard/D ... (M9 - ZEISS Distagon 1,4/35 f 2,8 ; crops) :

L1028548_DxO-z35d-28-c.jpg

L1028549_DxO-z35d-28-c.jpg

(The full version of pic #1 shows that I show a 100% crop. Not bad for a low-res cam, I think ... --- )

Attachments

• L1028548_DxO-z35d-28.jpg
    L1028548_DxO-z35d-28.jpg
    477.6 KB · Views: 1
So .... first attempt at focus stacking manually using the DOF scale on the lens ......

Very windy today which induced some movement and the picture is incredibly busy but PS did a good job

Stack of 4 images and it pretty much is sharp front to back

Leica M240
Elmarit-M 1:2.8/90
ƒ/9.5 90.0 mm 1/750 ISO 800

M2400181 by Simon Revill, on Flickr

Compared to this single image - focused where the path disappears ... foreground OOF

Leica M240
Elmarit-M 1:2.8/90
ƒ/9.5 90.0 mm 1/500 ISO 800

M2400173 by Simon Revill, on Flickr

So I was in Kyoto, Japan, walking along the Philopher's Path when some guy in his's 60's came up to me having spotted my Olympus OM2 hanging off my wrist and said. "A lot of people are shooting film cameras". We had a quick chat about cameras and one of the cameras he had with him was a Leica Q2.

One thing he talked about was the Q2's unique characteristic shooting in cloudy day and the way it captures clouds and sky was something very special...I had some skepticism but he showed me a few images he took on his phone and I must admit it made me look twice and even went online to check out how much a Q2 cost lol

So, is this "characteristic" he talked about shared amongst owners?

(He also had a Sony A74 with him, and we spoke about all kinds of cameras, i wouldn't be surprised if he was a member here lol)

Back