Oh no, ive only gone and done it!!

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
I figured that although the 50D was nice and new, great technology, although ISO performance was not all that great.
The 5D was another option, with its full frame goodness and better ISO performance it was the option to go for. But at the same time there was a feeling inside me thinking that the camera would be old, maybe looked after poorly and would not last as long as a new camera.

If only there was an option where there was the improved technology of the 50D with the good old performance of the 5D, also with extra hidden bonuses.

So, I just bought a Canon 5Dmk2 with a Canon 24-70 2.8 lens.
I wonder if it will be much of an improvment over my Canon 400D with sigma 17-70mm lens....

Now I have to count the hours, no, seconds until it arrives in my hands, oh the torture!!!

nice one, new toys are always good :)

"I wonder if it will be much of an improvment over my Canon 400D with sigma 17-70mm lens...."

If it is anything like the stelar leap in performance going from a D70 with kit lens to the D700 with 24-70mm Nikkor, then prepare to be BLOWN away :)

Enjoy.

hehe, im quivering with excitement lol, how wrong is that!!

Im wondering if its possible to shoot a wedding dvd with the camera. I doubt it but it would mean I could sell my Canon XL1 and by a 70-200 2.8IS

Matt I replied to your PM, sorry I missed the question on here

Oh Joy, you sure made the right decision!

Now, just lower your expectations a little as it's just a tool and you may not get the best results from it at first. I took a little while to warm to full frame and get used to it. My wife was and is still complaining that they didn't look any different to my old crop camera (but what does she know!).

Look forward to seeing the first musings when it arrives.

Graham

I find the only problem with the 5D Mk 2 is that I have too many pictures now - I don't dump anywhere near as many as I used to and am having to become a lot more picky :D

The offer to meet up at Merriments Garden still stands (and for anyone else who fancies a visit there)

Yeah im up for that, you can give me some pointers on using it.

I got it from Kerso, really great guy to deal with and it was all in stock. He said I was lucky as he is getting rid of the 5D's as fast as they are coming in.

Although I kinda wish I hadnt rented the 17-55 f2.8 lens from lensesforhire now, but nevermind, its too late now i guess.

Im wondering if its possible to shoot a wedding dvd with the camera. I doubt it but it would mean I could sell my Canon XL1 and by a 70-200 2.8IS

The longest video you can film is apparently 29 minutes 59 seconds I believe, something to do with tax avoidance or file format limits...so you would have a small blip missing somewhere during ceremonies and speeches!

I have just bought the same camera and lens package from Kerso a month or so ago - and believe me it is excellent. Going from a 400D and non L glass to this combination should really blow you away - Just prepare never to use your other lenses again!!!!! (y)

I have just bought the same camera and lens package from Kerso a month or so ago - and believe me it is excellent. Going from a 400D and non L glass to this combination should really blow you away - Just prepare never to use your other lenses again!!!!! (y)

haha, great, Well I dont think I can use my old sigma 17-70 although I will use my 70-300 IS lens until I can upgrade it.

The real question is, should I get a UV protector for the new lens?

It is a stunning bit of kit - as some above said - you do land up taking more images. Make sure you have some good sized cards - cos you can fill them pretty quickly. The difference from a crop sensor with any longer lens can be a bit disconcerting - suddenly thelens are ALOT shorter (ie back to normal really). Have fun with it!!!
Rog

haha, great, Well I dont think I can use my old sigma 17-70 although I will use my 70-300 IS lens until I can upgrade it.

The real question is, should I get a UV protector for the new lens?

Yes, I have them on all my lenses!!! and as said above, you may need more card space. I bought a Kingston 133x 16GB Elite Pro which I have found works for pictures and the video with no problems and they are very reasonably prices. I get over 500 images at full RAW quality!

I'm jealous. I've been thinking about a 5DII for a few weeks now. I'll be interested to hear your opinions on it, especially with regards to using it as a video camera. I'd sell the XL1, if you want to do video work use the 5DII and a XHA1. HD is the way forward.

looks like there is a 24min limit on each video which isnt all that great.
To be honest ive been doing wedding videos for a while now and HD really isnt very important, I havnt had a sinlge person want it. Thankfully as its just such a massive use of hard disk space just for one hour of footage.

Actually, you will hit the ceiling at 4G, which is around 12 mins of HD video. And believe me, if you take a look at any video, from Hollywood movies to TV shows, there are lots and lots of edits. So that 12 minutes ceiling is plenty.

I AM JEALOUS!! - lol

You have bought the MUTS NUTS.

Congrats!

The 400D is like a toy compared to the 5D...

I went from a 400D to a 50D and I will never look back.

Back