Oil Seed Rape

Name
mark
Edit My Images
No
Yesterday on an intercity highway a field of golden canola caught my eye as it had done in the late afternoon of the previous day.
The lighting had transformed the rolling pasture into a scene of exquisite beauty but unfortunately I was unable to stop.

Canola1.jpg

I passed by the fields again on my return but the magic of the previous day had all but disappeared.​

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that is the carcass of a tree or some such... :shrug:

Great vista Mark... (y) ... although the distant hills are a bit hazy... I suppose that is the price you pay for all that heat you have to suffer... :naughty:

Is what you call Golden Canola the same as our Oilseed Rape... :thinking: ... we have fields and fields of that same yellow each Summer from the Oilseed crops... :D

EDIT... Just Bing'd it and I reckon it's the same stuff... :D

:p

Last edited:
Mark, whats that dark thing in the foreground...?
Toby my son, that is a genuine burnt out old gum tree stump,
they are a common sight in fields bordering the Midlands Highway.
But both you and Ven missed the Ravens that titled this thread! :D
I would say that is the carcass of a tree or some such... :shrug:
Great vista Mark... (y) ... although the distant hills are a bit hazy... I suppose that is the price you pay for all that heat you have to suffer... :naughty:
Is what you call Golden Canola the same as our Oilseed Rape... :thinking: ... we have fields and fields of that same yellow each Summer from the Oilseed crops... :D
EDIT... Just Bing'd it and I reckon it's the same stuff... :D :p
Yeppers, you got it Ven, and I've no idea as to why farmers don't just remove them
but this one serves as an essential element of the comp - no stump, no pic! :shrug:
And yes, Oilseed Rape, Canola, call it what you will - it's the stuff they make Canola Cooking Oil from that you buy at supermarkets. :D
Canola2.jpg

As for the misty hills, it's an easy fix but I left it as is to keep the near and far effect it gives.
And yeah, I'd say we are heading for a scorcher summer :cool: ... we'll be envying your winter!
Canola3.jpg

Spot the Ravens! :nuts:​

Last edited:
Canola2.jpg

... we'll be envying your winter!

:confused: ... you are totally right Mark... :eek: ... missed the Ravens completely they were so well camouflaged in silhouette with that tree stump... :shrug: ...I was looking too far into the distance for flying birds... :LOL:

And I would swap our Winter for the warm sunshine any day m8... :cautious: ... I am definitely NOT a cold weather individual... BRRrrrrrrrrrr ... :thumbsdown:

08.gif

Toby my son, that is a genuine burnt out old gum tree stump,
they are a common sight in fields bordering the Midlands Highway.

Yeppers, you got it Ven, and I've no idea as to why farmers don't just remove them
but this one serves as an essential element of the comp - no stump, no pic! :shrug:

Ah! My screen again I suspect. The stump looks seriously undefined from here, and I really couldn't see the ravens until you pointed them out. I would comment though that the stump slightly uncomfortably breaks the thirds rule - its fine horizontally, but too close to the lower border on the vertical. I wonder if a subtle change of vantage wouldn't have served the composition better.

A complete aside from any crit or comment on the picture, although it can be lovely to look at, I hate oilseed rape with a passion. Every year, a fortnight before it flowers, my throat starts to itch and my eyes stream. By the time it is in full bloom, my eyes itch so much I want to tear them out. Nothing else does this, foul stuff. Next year, for the first year in memory, I will have NO rape fields around my house..... and I have to move. :(

:confused: ... you are totally right Mark... :eek: ... missed the Ravens completely they were so well camouflaged in silhouette with that tree stump... :shrug: ...I was looking too far into the distance for flying birds... :LOL: And I would swap our Winter for the warm sunshine any day m8... :cautious: ... I am definitely NOT a cold weather individual... BRRrrrrrrrrrr ... :thumbsdown:
08.gif
Don't worry Ven, would you believe that when I took the picture I didn't see the birds at all as that stump was further away than it appears on screen.
It was only after I had ripped a few shots off that I saw the birds take flight, over and behind me, which is when I caught them on the wing. :tumbleweed: (I just knew I'd find a use for that emoticon one day! lol)

Ah! My screen again I suspect. The stump looks seriously undefined from here, and I really couldn't see the ravens until you pointed them out. I would comment though that the stump slightly uncomfortably breaks the thirds rule - its fine horizontally, but too close to the lower border on the vertical. I wonder if a subtle change of vantage wouldn't have served the composition better.

A complete aside from any crit or comment on the picture, although it can be lovely to look at, I hate oilseed rape with a passion. Every year, a fortnight before it flowers, my throat starts to itch and my eyes stream. By the time it is in full bloom, my eyes itch so much I want to tear them out. Nothing else does this, foul stuff. Next year, for the first year in memory, I will have NO rape fields around my house..... and I have to move. :(
Hi there Toby, in reality that stump is a 'black hole' silhouette and I didn't notice the birds at all until they suddenly took flight. Only after I had downloaded and started editing did I notice the Ravens on the log.

The so called thirds rule doesn't require that any particular element of composition should or must be placed on intersecting thirds lines - indeed the "thirds rule" is widely accepted as discretionary and should be disregarded when it doesn't suit the picture.
And tough that you are allergic to oilseed rape :crying: I also have an allergic reaction to something each October and haven't a clue as to its cause. Some years are worse than others - this year has not been too bad at all. ;)

Last edited:
The so called thirds rule doesn't require that any particular element of composition should or must be placed on intersecting thirds lines - indeed the "thirds rule" is widely accepted as discretionary and should be disregarded when it doesn't suit the picture.
And tough that you are allergic to oilseed rape :crying: I also have an allergic reaction to something each October and haven't a clue as to its cause. Some years are worse than others - this year has not been too bad at all. ;)

Mark, I agree with those sentiments wholeheartedly.

I would lay money on it that you have got problems with oilseed rape too. It really is horrid stuff, and the intolerance is progressive. I used to be absolutely fine, but the last 3 or 4 years have been worse and worse.

I'm thinking you must be right because thinking back to when I shot these pics I had a choking cough and was itching pretty much all over - I never even thought that it might have something to do with the rape field. I have to say though I still have the symptoms, albeit mildly.

OK, this thread has been given a serious clean up.

Now can we keep it on topic please.

Hi nice photo BUT can I put you right on what is in the fields it is:-
Rapeseed (Brassica napus) a bright yellow flowering member of the family Brassicaceae (mustard or cabbage family)

You're absolutely spot on there Chaz... (y) ...but they call it Canola in Aus apparently... :D

Fantastic Capture Really Sharp and Bright Very well done

Kirk

Somehow or other the "dark blob" in the foreground
looked like two black and white cows "at it"
was it just me :shrug: :D

Mark ,I never really though of your part of the world being that "green"
or hilly great looking scenery (y)

Oh BTW and its oil seed rape down this end of the UK as well

Hi nice photo BUT can I put you right on what is in the fields it is:- Rapeseed (Brassica napus) a bright yellow flowering member of the family Brassicaceae (mustard or cabbage family)
There is a genetically modified difference between Rapeseed and Canola - nevertheless, to some folk like myself Canola by any other name is still an allergen.
The crop above is CANOLA. Thanks Chaz.
Canola: http://images.google.com.au/images?...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CCQQsAQwAw
Fantastic Capture Really Sharp and Bright Very well done - Kirk
Thanks for a welcome and refreshing comment Kirk. :)
Somehow or other the "dark blob" in the foreground looked like two black and white cows "at it" was it just me :shrug: :D *** Mark ,I never really though of your part of the world being that "green" or hilly great looking scenery (y)
Oh BTW and its oil seed rape down this end of the UK as well
Hmm, the "dark blob" you refer to is actually part of The Rorschach inkblot test - your response reveals that you are highly artistic, ruminative and imaginative!(y)
Unlike most of mainland Australia, Tasmania is mountainous and hilly - it has been variously compared to Scotland, Wales and your Lakes Country.
We have just had the wettest winter on record that has transformed the island into resplendent shade of green. :D
Thanks M8! :nuts:

There is a genetically modified difference between Rapeseed and Canola - nevertheless, to some folk like myself Canola by any other name is still an allergen.
The crop above is CANOLA. Thanks Chaz.
Ah! it GM so it has been raped by the Lab Ahhhh!!!!!!!!!!:puke:

The crop above is CANOLA.

Hah... :cautious: ...that is not the answer you gave me... :shrug:

:D

Hmm, the "dark blob" you refer to is actually part of The Rorschach inkblot test - your response reveals that you are highly artistic, ruminative and imaginative!:

I reckon you could probably place Un- in front of those three in this case Mark... :naughty:

OJ Chris... :shrug: ...honest... :thinking:

We have just had the wettest winter on record that has transformed the island into resplendent shade of green.

I could well live with wet and Green as long as it is warm too... :D ... so why are you showing us all that nasty yellow stuff... :cautious:

And anyway what are you doing still up m8... :shrug:

08.gif

Hah... :cautious: ...that is not the answer you gave me... :shrug: :D

Technology is fast moving ... today's truth - tomorrow's folly, my son! :D
I reckon you could probably place Un- in front of those three in this case Mark... :naughty: OJ Chris... :shrug: ...honest... :thinking:
Hasn't this thread been contentious enough! :D
I could well live with wet and Green as long as it is warm too... ... so why are you showing us all that nasty yellow stuff... :cautious:
Thought I'd brighten the place up a tad, and besides, Green and Gold are winning colors! ... :LOL:
And anyway what are you doing still up m8... :shrug:
08.gif
... Hey, don't send me off to bed just yet, it's only 2015hrs - Eastern Oz is only 10 hours ahead of you, but at least a century in innovation, right? ... Ah what was that I was bleeting about being 'contentious' ... LOL :D

... Hey, don't send me off to bed just yet, it's only 2015hrs - Eastern Oz is only 10 hours ahead of you, but at least a century in innovation, right? ... Ah what was that I was bleeting about being 'contentious' ... LOL :D

Ah... my bad... :D ...went the wrong way round in my head I reckon... :wacky:

That's my excuse anyhow... :cautious:

Hmm, the "dark blob" you refer to is actually part of The Rorschach inkblot test - your response reveals that you are highly artistic, ruminative and imaginative!(y)
Its nice to have these things confirmed (y) :D

Unlike most of mainland Australia, Tasmania is mountainous and hilly - it has been variously compared to Scotland, Wales and your Lakes Country.
We have just had the wettest winter on record that has transformed the island into resplendent shade of green. :D
I have never been but I have always understood it to be quite lovely
Looks as though I was correct (y)

I reckon you could probably place Un- in front of those three in this case Mark... :naughty:

OJ Chris... :shrug: ...honest... :thinking:

Hasn't this thread been contentious enough!

Not yet Mark, the Green thing is only just warming up .............trust me on this :D

Not yet Mark, the Green thing is only just warming up .............trust me on this :D

:nono: ... Get it right Chris... :eek: ... or was that because you were rushing to get out to the pub your Funny Handshake Falconry Club meet... :cautious:

08.gif

Ah... my bad... ...went the wrong way round in my head I reckon... That's my excuse anyhow... :cautious: :p
So just imagine how confused early English navigators got when after circumnavigating Earth they got home only to find that somewhere in the antipodeas they had lost a whole damn day! ... :thinking: :shrug:

Its nice to have these things confirmed (y) :D I have never been but I have always understood it to be quite lovely - Looks as though I was correct (y)
*** Not yet Mark, the Green thing is only just warming up .............trust me on this :D[/COLOR]
Thanks Chris :) - last Saturday we went to the Rodeo at Melton Mowbray (Tasmania), you and Ven might like to see how we spend our weekends! :D
Ride 'em Cowboy!
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=178332
Green thing is a tonic! :puke:

Back