Critique Ok here goes...

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there,

I'm new to the board, and also to photography. I bought my first dSLR, a Nikon D7000 less than two years ago, and since then have been trying to get to grips with it. Its fair to say it has been a bit of an uphill struggle but this year have tried to get out a bit, mainly around Leeds where I am from. Anyway after numerous trips and some dodgy results I have got the first couple of results I am reasonably happy with. Would be really interested in some feedback...

Parkinson Building, University of Leeds at dusk by David Gooch, on Flickr

Parkinson Building, University of Leeds at dusk
by David Gooch, on Flickr

Bridgewater Place, Leeds at night
by David Gooch, on Flickr

Thanks in advance for any comments...

nice and sharp and have a nice deep feel to them, no3 is the most interesting IMO

Very nice! like the contrast in the first one very much.
To me I'd say the 2nd is a bit over exposed but I am certainly no expert.
Great reflection and colours in the third one, the moving sky looks very nice too.

Great job :)

Thanks for the feedback guys... i have really (and I mean really!) struggled to get sharp photos. I have been using the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 lens I bought at the same time I bought the D7000 body s/h. Finally did some focus testing with some batteries lined up in a diagonal line and realised it was back focussing so dialled in some AF fine tune.

With No.3 I was experimenting with bulb. The water was actually moving quite a bit and would probably look better if it was still but hey ho. Also kept hanging on to try a get a break in the clouds as it was a full moon

If you're strugglilng with understanding the controls on yoiur camera and when to use them and what for you could get something like a David Busch book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/David-Buschs-Nikon-Digital-Photography/dp/1435459423

I recently got the equivalent for the Canon 550D and am finding it very good - well written, informative and goes way beyond the technical hand book that came with the camera.

Thanks will look into that. I have read and learnt how and when to use some things but there is still loads I don't know.

#1 and #3 are really good shots, as has been said, #2 looks slightly over-exposed at the base of the tower, still overall a good set of shots.

Thanks - it was a great night to be out as everywhere was quiet

David welcome to TP a great place to hang out :welcome:

I like the set but number one for me (y)

We'll I think you've got to grips with your camera now! 1 and 3 are stunning, pin sharp and well composed. I think the clouds add to the image in 3 rather than waiting for a break. Good job. (y)

We'll I think you've got to grips with your camera now! 1 and 3 are stunning, pin sharp and well composed. I think the clouds add to the image in 3 rather than waiting for a break. Good job. (y)
Thanks very much!!! Hadn't thought about #3 being better with the moon hidden by the clouds, interesting point

I really like #3, the colours make it really stand out, nice one :)

There's no way your're new to photography! Stunning photos, great job!

Thanks Pinpho

There's no way your're new to photography! Stunning photos, great job!

Thanks - started the journey about 18 months ago with a secondhand D7000 body and a new Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 and pretty quickly bought a decent quality tripod and a remote release. Read a few books too and constantly looking at different people's flickr for inspiration

It's the depth on the first which is amazing. My first thought was the sky was added as the outline of the building is so sharp, but then so is the rest of the image. #2 is over exposed but you may be able to pull that back in post.

A great opening - welsome to TP.

With No.3 I was experimenting with bulb. The water was actually moving quite a bit and would probably look better if it was still ...
I actually like the contrast between the tower and the slightly wiggly reflection, it is my favourite of the three by far.

It's the depth on the first which is amazing. My first thought was the sky was added as the outline of the building is so sharp, but then so is the rest of the image. #2 is over exposed but you may be able to pull that back in post.

A great opening - welsome to TP.

Thanks - I can honestly confirm the sky has not been replaced!

Hi, you had me at Leeds (y)

Not keen on #2, I see where you were going with the lead in lines.

#1 works well with the nice low POV.

#3 is one I've done before. Nice colours and reflection

That said, I converted #1 to B&W and preferred it. I'm not keen on the orange and blue sky. You might want to watch your WB.

Good show and I'm glad you're getting to grips with your camera.

Cheers.

Back