OK - so not techically a great photo...

Edit My Images
Yes
...but I wanted to share these!!

Taken at a range of about 30ft from my bedroom with my 70-200 F4 L and a 1.4x teleconverter :D

What I'd like to know if bar investing in a 500mm F2.8 - any way to get these better i.e. sharper? The conditions are challenging - they're taken in the evening, in partial shade with subjects that don't always stay still. I've shot them with a high ISO to try and capture/freeze movement.

Any suggestions welcome! :)

Cheers!!

Matt

what settings? ie shutterspeed/ISO? and what teleconverter? is it a canon one?

Lets be honest...........these are beautiful.....

The first one is great but the eyes are also absolutely extraordinary...

I do like your Foxcub photo, the second is what i call a record shot.

What a great sight to see from your bedroom window Matt. Love that first one of the cub. (y)

For your 'challenging' conditions, is there any way of setting up on a tripod? Or even a monopod, to help keep the camera steady? :shrug:

Nice shots

what settings? ie shutterspeed/ISO? and what teleconverter? is it a canon one?

With some of the shots when the cubs were moving between one point and another I'm embarassed to say I cheated and used sports mode on my 40D - so that would be AI servo, I seem to recall the ISO being around 800 and the hightest speed that could be shot at. Some of the others were taken in AV Mode, with aperture F4/F5.6, centre focus point only and AI servo with ISO around 3200.

No it's not a canon TC - it's a Kenko one - seems to work well with my 70-200 - no loss of AF or IS! :D

I do like your Foxcub photo, the second is what i call a record shot.

Thanks Cuddy -- stupid question, what do you mean by a "record shot"? :)

What a great sight to see from your bedroom window Matt. Love that first one of the cub. (y)

For your 'challenging' conditions, is there any way of setting up on a tripod? Or even a monopod, to help keep the camera steady? :shrug:

I think I could actually hairy - that's a great idea!!:D

Thanks everyone for the kind comments - I'm going to try and get closer to the area and prune some of the branches to get some clearer shots1! :naughty:

Cheers!!

Matt

Longer Lens would be ideal! Failing that up the iso a bit further the 40D should still produce good results and get a tripod/monopod to steady it all as much as possible. This could be a once in a lifetime oppertunity so keep trying as many settings as you can!

lifetime opportunity indeed . Is there a hire shop were you can get a longer lens from? It would be well worth it . Only other thing that might help, is to steady the camera on a couple of cushions on the window sill to support the lens & also shot in burst mode as one shot might be sharper than the rest, especially with moving subjects. Good luck, look forward to seeing your results.

You know - you've just made me think of something.....:thinking::thinking:

/matt trots off to for sale bit for lens for hire details!

Thank you! :D :clap:

Matt

i would love to see these from my bedroom window all i see is a secondary school keep trying for that perfect shot it will come

Back