Okay my first impressions of the "Q" as a everyday camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately that's what happens when I post pictures on this or any forum. The file size I post is 1400 x whatever that equates to. I do have bigger files on my website neilsphotography.co.uk but I didn't put those Q pictures on my website as they are crap
You might have better results posting from Flickr if you use that, they come through on here nice and sharp without any noticeable loss at all.

Your mind can not comprehend how much I do not want one.. LOL

It wasn't that long ago David, that you posted a thread about selling all your Nikons and going Leica.

It wasn't that long ago David, that you posted a thread about selling all your Nikons and going Leica.

Don't recall that. Got a link?

I can only imagine it was when I was considering dumping all small format stuff for a while and considering a Leica S, yes (which I did.. very seriously for some time), but decided the format wasn't really large enough to warrant the price when measured against other systems with larger sensors. I then realised it was actually a colossal waste of money when A) I have access to a Phase One system if needed, and B) what I should be doing, is actually what I did - just re-invest in the medium format film gear I'd either got rid of, or had stolen (can't remember if my RB had actually been nicked then or not), because ultimately, the quality is better any way.

I certainly wouldn't be going to any great lengths to suffix my thread titles with "Taken with a Leica S" though. If I had have bought it, I'd be in no great rush to admit it in case anyone thought I was a bit of a t***.

Last edited:
Don't recall that. Got a link?

I can only imagine it was when I was considering dumping all small format stuff for a while and considering a Leica S, yes (which I did.. very seriously for some time), but decided the format wasn't really large enough to warrant the price when measured against other systems with larger sensors. I then realised it was actually a colossal waste of money when A) I have access to a Phase One system if needed, and B) what I should be doing, is actually what I did - just re-invest in the medium format film gear I'd either got rid of, or had stolen (can't remember if my RB had actually been nicked then or not), because ultimately, the quality is better any way.

I certainly wouldn't be going to any great lengths to suffix my thread titles with "Taken with a Leica S" though. If I had have bought it, I'd be in no great rush to admit it in case anyone thought I was a bit of a t***.

So you don't recall considering swapping to Leica? Apart from the time when you were considering swapping to Leica?!

I don't remember the details, it was perhaps a couple of years ago now, but your affection for Leica M-series is also pretty well documented.

So you don't recall considering swapping to Leica? Apart from the time when you were considering swapping to Leica?!

I don't remember the details, it was perhaps a couple of years ago now, but your affection for Leica M-series is also pretty well documented.

Do you just read the first line of people's posts only Richard? :)

No.. I said I did.. read my post again. I mean I don't recall the conversation on here. I said above I was considering the S for quite some time. Your point? I like the M series yes. I think I considered that for while when I was after a rangefinder type camera. I don't DISLIKE the Q for that matter (as in I think it's crap) - at least from what I can tell as I've never used one. However... factor in the price, and it just makes no sense and becomes crap. I just think £3000 for a compact camera is stupid. It's not worth it as a tool. Paying 3 times more for no photographic advantage I can see makes it crap.. even if it's good.. if you know what I mean.

I've yet to see any image taken with it (or the M, or S) that actually demonstrates anything that makes it worth the money. Which is why I ended up with none of them.

It's not about money... it's about what I'd gain from owning it. I've decided the answer is... nothing.

Last edited:
Wow, I just checked the price. £3,0000??? For a fixed lens compact?
This is a genuine question: why would I choose one over a Sony A7II which has similar features, is a similar size and has slightly better performance - but which is a much more versatile tool?

I confess I've never understood the fascination with Leica - I just about get it for the rangefinders for street work, but otherwise? It's a tool. It does a job.

The other Q camera makes a lot more sense to me - at least they've tried to evolve a phone camera into something unique.

With all due respect, why have you decided to derail the thread and question why should you choose one over the Sony A7II? All you have done is encourage what has followed, Leica bashing. The images were posted in the General Photo Feedback section, not Equipment.

You won't be disappointed. There is nothing else out there that can touch this camera for image quality and user satisfaction

Onto the pics, they're ok, but unsure why you think nothing can touch the Leica, IQ wise? Of course they can! What makes you think otherwse? Sure, they are really well built pieces of a equipment, but IQ wise my Sony RX100 compact produces nicer cleaner images at that ISO in reference to no.3 - perhaps you've gone to town on the shadows hence the very high level of noise?

With all due respect, why have you decided to derail the thread and question why should you choose one over the Sony A7II?

With all due respect, the thread is titled "
Okay my first impressions of the "Q" as a everyday camera"

Clearly it's as much about the camera as it is the images.

anyhow folks - as the OP is having a well deserved fortnights break from the forum, maybe it'd be better if I close this thread... If he gets some more pictures he can post them in the "photos for pleasure" section, as he's obviously not interested in critique.

mind the doors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back