Old Crocks

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a real play with the new D200 today. Was really amazed how well 3D Matrix metering dealt with this tricky exposure. No EV compensation at all (I've always dialled -0.3EV with previous Nikon dSLR's but I thought I'd go for broke).

china.jpg

As a matter of (geeky) interest I took a screen-grab of the lost hightlights straight from the camera (burnt out) shown in NX Capture. Shadows are well controlled with just a touch of highlight lost in the Red channel.

highlights.jpg

Be interesting to see how the D70 would handle exactly the same shot

hi chuckles
thought you got to the stage where you are callin marianne :D

nice photo, reminds me of the fairs and boots i have been to in the past, would make a good jigsaw puzzle..

nice photo, reminds me of the fairs and boots i have been to in the past, would make a good jigsaw puzzle..

Cheers Boon,

I worry about my photos lately, quite a lot of people say they'd make good jigsaw puzzles... hmmm .... Wonder what Freud could make of this? :shrug:

Be interesting to see how the D70 would handle exactly the same shot

Yes that would be interesting... (y)

I used to find my d70 was biased towards underexposing in bright shots...I was using JPG at the time :thinking: ...not sure if it’s the same now I use RAW, especially as I tend to push my histogram to the dark side in those conditions anyway... I always find it’s my reds that have been clipped though...even in low light. :shrug:

...hmmmm.?

:D

Well I think he would say "Marianne, FFS Get the lad a jigsaw for christmas!, he's obviously crying out for one :LOL: "

I used to dialin - 1/3EV or -2/3EV with my 350, but with my 30D I find I prefer none at all, letting the camera deal with it.

It would be interesting to see how the D70 handles the same shot.

well we'll let Barry do the experiment for you shall we....??

I am just happy to keep on using my gorgeous D200!

Its a boy thing all this isn't it? ;)

Well, as far as I'm concerned, the sun's gawn in, it's raining, we're 12 miles from Cambridge, I've got some tidying I've promised to do, we've got a client coming at 2 o'clock, one the D70's is sold and needs posting, got some bread to make, the crocks may not be there, I've the company of a wonderful woman.....

.... I don't think the D70 would cope

1 it doesn't travel by itself
2 doesn't know how to bake bread
3 would refuse to package up it's sibling
4 doesn't know where the PO is
5 wouldn't know what to do with a WW
6 it's crock homing device is bust
7 never been introduced to the client

In essence it wouldn't handle it at all well. :shake:

As for Freud, didn't he have a problem with his mother or summat? :nuts:

whilst you were typing this I edited the D70 for sale post so that's one less task for you to do! :love:

Ho Hum .... where's the kitchen?

I assume the first is the jigsaw puzzle image. The second one I think the edges are far too simple..... :thinking:

I assume the first is the jigsaw puzzle image. The second one I think the edges are far too simple..... :thinking:

i take it you haven't done a jigsaw for a while, you want to see the shapes they cut em nowadays, my missus spends hours putting them together..

Too busy putting the pieces of my life together here... no time for any more puzzles :(

That's sounds a bit melodramatic. Life is just a bit of a grind at the mo ....

Oh dear, I'm not after sympathy. D'ya know the more you type like this the worse everthing sounds... ho-hum - stopping now!

I always find it’s my reds that have been clipped though...even in low light. :shrug:

The D70's metering system meters for the green channel only. That's all very fine & well, and provides relatively accurate readings most of the time - but if you throw a tricky situation at it things can go awry. The D200 meters for the Red, Green & Blue channels - which results in far more consistent metering results.

I think.

I'll agree about the more consistent metering results. Can't say I know about the green channel only though.

I was under the impression 3D matix-metering used RGB :shrug:

Back