Old photos you find, and re-process (New Zealand +1 Thailand)

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
I've recently had cause to go back rooting through old files and have found a handful from back when I shot RAW and didn't know why, but am glad I did and that I kept those precious RAW files.

Taken with a combination of entry level Nikon's (D3000/D3100 & D5100) between 2010 and 2011 using kit lenses and maybe at a stretch, a battered ex-rental 10-24 I picked up for a steal in NZ when I really hadn't a clue what I was doing.

1. Waipapa Point Lighthouse - The Catlin Coast - NZ

2. The Tasman Valley - Aoraki Mount Cook National Park - NZ

3. Lake Wakatipi - Queenstown - NZ

4. Castle Point Lighthouse - Wairarapa Coast - NZ

5. Milford Sound - Fiordland National Park - NZ

6. Silhouetted Beech Tree - Coromandel - NZ

7. Not NZ, but the most spectacular sunset I've ever seen to this day above the Andaman Sea, Thailand.

Beautiful set Tom, and considering you had no idea what you were doing you've nailed these compositions.
The fifth one stands out to me, it's awesome, something straight out of Lord of the Rings.
I really like the second, but I'd like to see more of that epic sky.

Thanks Jake, there is abit more sky but I had to crop 2:1 for canvas and needed to sacrifice sky to get the rock in without it being too close to the bottom edge. It was an awesome sky. The NZ trip was a massive and steep learning curve with landscape photography for me. I got in the plane with zero interest in it and came back obsessed. I had a pro-photographers photo atlas with my as my main map and I spent some time looking and at times even straight up copying the sort of compositions he'd done which really helped me understand why certain things work and certain things don't.

And great re-processing it is! Great set and your capture of Milford Sound is stunning.

There are so many shots of Mitre Peak that all look the same but the foreground and clouds in yours makes it a bit different.

Back