Olympus EP1 and the electronic viewfinder - Opinions please ?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just got an Olympus Ep1 off the forum and very happy with it but I would like a viewfinder.

Just want to ask anyone who has one what they are like and are they worth buying or is the EP1 better without it ??

Also does the viewfinder work OK with the 14-42mm lens on the Olympus

Yes, it is worth buying and yes it works with the 14-42 kit lens.
It works with all lenses, even legacy lenses. I have the e-pl5 and e-pm1 and the vf-3 works fine with
9mm pancake, 14mm pancake, 14.42mm, 75-300mm and a Zuiko 50mm 1.8 om fit with adapter.
Get one, it lifts the usefulness of the camera no end, especially in bright light.
You can see EVERYTHING in the viewfinder that you can see on the rear screen.

Brilliant - thank you

I have a flash for the EP1 so I think I might try a swap for a viewfinder
You want to swap a flash for a viewfinder? Good luck with that!
(or do you mean just swap it on the body?)

I had one briefly for my EPL3 before I sold it on and bought and EM5. Whilst Monica ( :) ) is right about the field of view I personally wasn't over impressed with the EVF it wasn't brilliant in low light and the refresh was poor. I did have the smaller one though the VF3 which was a lower resolution than the older VF2 so that may have been a factor. There is also the VF4 now which I think may be a higher res than the previous models. Despite not being overly impressed with the VF3 I have to say it improved the usability of my EPL3

Excuse me for butting in after some apparently helpful comments ... but none of the three Olympus EVF will fit the original e=P1,
only the e-P2.

The e-P1 does not have an electronic accessory slot.

Last edited:
OK, my take on the pros & cons (or v-f3 v v-f4)
the 3 is supported on all current cameras, the 4 will not fully work on some earlier models even with firmware update.
(I'm talking about the eye sensor)
the 3 is much cheaper than the 4.
the 3 has a lock that the 1/2 hasn't, but the 4 also has.
If you use manual focus a lot then the 4 would be a better bet.
as far as I can find, the 3 only comes in silver, the 4 in black.
the 4 has slightly better iq than the 3 (don't have one, but that's the general consensus in reviews)
the 3 is slightly smaller than the 4
the 3 is much cheaper than the 4. :D

So I can use other viewfinders ?

I thought I could only use the VF1 (like this one)

Well that was a waste of time!
Looks like the only one that will fit is the v-f1?

Back