Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Is it worth upgrading from the old 14-150 to the new one? Nobody answer that! Especially not with the words "that depends...".
And I already know what the GAS merchants will say. I don't need that temptation. "So why did you ask?" I hear you say.

Last edited:
Do you happen to know if the bundled 14-150 is the new version?

They said so on the phone but intend emailing to get confirmation before release, as you I learnt to look for what they don't say rather than what they do in adverts lol.

Hi guys, sorry if this has been covered before, but I'm off on a couple of long city breaks in spring, and for the first time plan to take my Olympus OMD kit rather than my full frame Nikon DSLR's. I'm therefore looking for a backpack (or preferably a sling bag), that is capable of taking the following (along with the usual batteries, filters, phone etc.).

OMD-EM1 Body with Grip and 12-40 F2.8 Pro
Olympus 40-150 F2.8 Pro
Olympus 17mm F1.8
Panasonic 7-14 F4
Panasonic Leica 25mm F1.4
Olympus 60mm F2.8 Macro
Panasonic GX7 (as a back up body).

Basically, this little lot:

I used to have the Lowepro Fastpack 200, but think that might be a bit of a tight squeeze, but I noticed Lowepro have replaced these with the Fastpack 250AW and 350AW, and they also have their range of Flipside bags (200 & 300 models). Ideally I'd also like the bag to be able to take an external travel tripod (something about 350-400mm in height). Don't really want a messenger type shoulder bag, as I'll be doing a lot of walking and think a back pack style bag will suit better.

Does anyone have any experience on these bags or have any better suggestions please ? Want something that's large enough but not too big that there's lots of empty space. This will after all only be for my M4/3 gear as I already have a large backpack for my DSLR gear.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Guys I been thinking of getting a OMD either Em10 or Em5. What they like in low light and AF? Are tracking ok on them?

I find my EM10 to be great in low light, obviously not as good as my D610 but I'm happy to use it up to ISO5000 (which is where a lot of people find the limits). The advantage of the M4/3 system is that you have fast primes with the IBIS system which works fantastically well in low light.

However, reports of AF tracking are so bad I've never even bothered turning C-AF on, I'm sure one day I will but I've never had the time to waste.

I just took my EM10 to Marrakech to see if it would do as my travel camera and I think its fair to say it will need to be a spectacular trip (northern lights, for example) for me to bother with my full frame Nikon kit again.

Here's a shot at ISO5000 taken in dark conditions, i.e. worst case scenario:

Marrakech-2070432 by Ned Awty, on Flickr

Anymore samples pls as quite tempted as it good price what about lens??

Anymore samples pls as quite tempted as it good price what about lens??

Thank you. Preferred length that's hard. What is popular

For general shooting people tend to prefer either a 35mm or 50mm equivalent, so that's 17mm or 35mm in M4/3 money. Both Olympus and Panasonic do versions of these.

Alternatively the kit lenses are decent enough but the faster primes let you keep the ISO down.

I've not used one myself but...

An issue I saw looking for some info for you was shadows with the pop up flash (link)
Review #1 (link)
Video review (link)

Has anybody used the Pansonic 14-140mm f4-5.8 lens and what are the thoughts on it?
I used the old version on a GF2 and it was terrible combination for handling (very front heavy). Difficult to judge the optical quality as the conditions and my poor technique were limiting factors (trying to handhold in the Excel Centre during the Paralympics, with a baby in a sling strapped to my chest). Build quality seemed good enough. I would imagine the newer version should be superior.

I can also vouch for the Olympus equivalent (14-150) - by the time I got this I had an EM-5 so a much more suitable body for bigger lenses, plus the lens itself was smaller/lighter than the Panasonic.

In all honesty, I don't think there are any BAD MFT lenses, just some good ones and some stellar ones.

Still not took the gut to buy one yet. It the EM10 of thinking of of but not sure what lens

Then I been thinking of Fuji XE 2

Still not took the gut to buy one yet. It the EM10 of thinking of of but not sure what lens

Then I been thinking of Fuji XE 2
The 12-50 is a pretty good all-round performer and is a cheap option (when bundled) as a starter lens. Manual zoom, electronic zoom and even a macro function - pretty clever stuff. BUT, it's quite big by MFT standards (well, it's long. It's not wide or heavy) and it's not a wide-aperture lens.

If you're coming from another system you can probably find something aking to your old lenses in the MFT system. If this is your first interchangeable lens system, I would caution against plurging on expensive lenses at the outset. Many people get on with the kit lenses just fine. Plus, you can buy second-hand lenses to add to your collection later, which is a lot cheaper than buying new unless you get a great discount on a lens bundle.

If you're choosing MFT to save on size/weight, the 12-40 may not be for you. Sure, it's small and light for a f/2.8 zoom on other systems but it's big and heavy by MFT standards. I have one, and it's a great lens, but I have niggling doubts that it negates the main benefit of MFT. There are many MFT primes that deliver top-notch performance in a compact package - I can personally vouch for the 14mm/2.5, 20mm/f1.7 and 45mm/f1.8 as particularly good examples of this.

Which EM should I get between the 3. The EM 1 or EM 5 or EM 10

Which EM should I get between the 3. The EM 1 or EM 5 or EM 10

It depends on what you want to use it for and if you have any 4/3 or m4/3 lenses.

I am starting fresh selling off the heavy canon gears.

Am coming from a canon 5d mkiii

Can someone kindly comment what cam aim for what photography in the range pls?

What will the em5 mkii have better than current one

What will the em5 mkii have better than current one
Improvements to: Ergonomics, EVF.
Added: wifi. Focus peaking, 40mp mode. Live composite mode. Electronic shutter 1/16000th
Slight improvements to: ibis, AF, twisty screen, jpeg IQ.

Last edited:
But between the EM1 and EM 5MKii which would you say

They are similar.
EM1 has better AF PDAF. And a bigger grip.
EM5 mk2 is smaller and has the 40mp mode.

Last edited:
The EM5 II will hit you in the pocket though as its brand new.

Coming from a 5D3 myself I'd seriously think about what you shot before.

Basically with any of them CAF is currently pretty much out, although SAF is very good and quick depending on lens.

I moved over as the weight was just too much but miss the ability to reliably get fast moving subject such as BiF, but it will capture my kids running around as long as I don;t want a burst of perfectly tracked shots.

You'll also see a dramatic drop in DoF, but again it depends what you were used to - even the excellent 75mm 1.8 will not come close to the EF 135mm f/2.

IQ wise all very close, or at least the E-M10 and the E-M1 are (I own both).

Personally I'd suggest the E-M10 and grip with the 12-40 (or frankly kit lens without the grip as the Oly have no bad lenses, just good or great) if you can afford that, then think hard about the E-M1

PDAF is only for the larger 43 lenses, so if you don't have any its not really a consideration, plus (I think as I've yet to see one in real life) the lenses are basically full size DSLR lenses and as such you're back where you started from weight\size wise.

The EM5 II will hit you in the pocket though as its brand new.

Coming from a 5D3 myself I'd seriously think about what you shot before.

Basically with any of them CAF is currently pretty much out, although SAF is very good and quick depending on lens.

I moved over as the weight was just too much but miss the ability to reliably get fast moving subject such as BiF, but it will capture my kids running around as long as I don;t want a burst of perfectly tracked shots.

You'll also see a dramatic drop in DoF, but again it depends what you were used to - even the excellent 75mm 1.8 will not come close to the EF 135mm f/2.

IQ wise all very close, or at least the E-M10 and the E-M1 are (I own both).

Personally I'd suggest the E-M10 and grip with the 12-40 (or frankly kit lens without the grip as the Oly have no bad lenses, just good or great) if you can afford that, then think hard about the E-M1

EM10 be nice with the 45mm lens as I get lots cash in bank then ha ha

Is it a good camera could I still get photo little one moving is the AF ok?

That would be a great starting point and you'll get to see what it can do without having to fully shift over.

I'll have a poke around and see if I've taken much with the 45mm, AFs not quite as fast as some of the others but it will basically be fine.

That would be a great starting point and you'll get to see what it can do without having to fully shift over.

I'll have a poke around and see if I've taken much with the 45mm, AFs not quite as fast as some of the others but it will basically be fine.
When u say Afs not as fast as others u referring to EM 1 as I know that meant be good

The E-M10 and 45mm are a great combination, but for me i actually missed the form factor of the DSLR and the shallower DOF so went back. The size difference is pretty incredible.

Laura
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Laura
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Personally, i struggled with the focusing, stationary subject were bang on but moving subjects i found the AF just wasn't any good. It was probably my technique though more than anything else. Manual lenses are also alot of fun to use with this camera with the focus peaking feature.

Another point to mention is that using fast lenses on a bright day coupled with the lowest native iso of 200 can lead to having to stop down as the maximum SS with the E-M10 is 1/4000. The E-M1 is 1/8000.

When u say Afs not as fast as others u referring to EM 1 as I know that meant be good

I meant the lens, but then I do have the 75mm and 12-40 pro, so I'm a bit spoilt!

I had a look through my own and couldn't find any moving subjects I'd taken with the 45mm personally, but have a poke through here (link) and I'm sure you'll find something.

David, good point regarding the 1/4000 vs 1/8000 but living here its not something I've had too much trouble with ;) (EDIT: I just looked at the shutter speed of my last 135 shots and 34 were over 4000 - who would have guessed!)

Last edited:
Back