Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I'm bothered by the base ISO of some cameras creeping up and from reading the specs it looks like the Oly's base is 200. I like to shoot at wide apertures even in good light and on a sunny day at ISO 100 and limited by the max shutter speed of 1/4000 sec I sometimes have to use ND's on my G1 or shoot at f2.8 and smaller. I assume with the OM-D I'd be using ND's a lot more or have to limit myself to f5.6 in good light?

I've been following the OM-D with interest and the image quality, DR and in body IS are very attractive but to be honest I doubt I'll buy one as I want a built in flash and carrying an add on one would almost certainly rule it out for me on its own but faffing on with ND's more (I find using tem a pain) or being limited to f5.6 would be the final nail in the coffin.

How do you lot manage in good light?

Popping the tiny accessory flash on is hardly a faff to be honest. Do you really use flash that often?

You'll face the same bright light decisions with many cameras, not just the OMD. Otherwise the spec of the OMD is overwhelmingly good. My Fujis in particular require that I stop down a little in very bright sunlight. Carrying an ND isn't that big of a deal.

I just don't like carrying bits and fitting them and taking them off again and I know that if I had the Oly I'd just leave the flash at home in the box. And yes, I do use the flash on my G1.

I do carry two ND's in my G1's bag but fitting them involves removing the lens hood, putting it somewhere, opening the ND case, removing them and fitting them, possibly refitting the hood and then reversing the whole process later... a right faff on. I noticed that the Fuji (the one with the EVF only) has ISO 100 as an extended option so that'd ease the "faff" as I see it.

I personally see being limited to 1/4000 second as one of the pains of MFT use. In years gone by I was limited to the same shutter speed with 35mm rangefinders and compacts but I used slower lenses with them so it was less of an issue. I could use slower lenses with MFT, but I'd have less options.

Phew just got back from an hour taking pictures while it nice. Hopefully I've manage to get some cracking images, will look later.

Lindsay how you finding the omd compare to the Fuji. I didn't know they were bringing one out in same price range.

Phew just got back from an hour taking pictures while it nice. Hopefully I've manage to get some cracking images, will look later.

Lindsay how you finding the omd compare to the Fuji. I didn't know they were bringing one out in same price range.

I'll be taking both cameras out over the next couple of weeks and will write up a detailed synopsis of both on my blog - I'll post a link here when it's done. But they're both great in their own ways:

As you would expect, the OMD is faster all-round. I also prefer the viewfinder on the OMD, it's closer to the DSLR experience than the one on the Fuji. The OMD has so many features which are completely lacking in the Fuji, namely the weather sealing and a very high level of customisation, flip out screen etc. Some rough tests showed that the lowlight capabilities of the OMD are not a million miles behind the Fuji, just over a stop and a quarter I'd say. Which makes the OMD a bit of a lowlight maestro. The OMD's image quality is certainly better than that of the Canon 7D I used to have. The Fugi's image quality is of course sublime, lovely and smooth. But the OMD is not that far behind, certainly not in normal real-world usage. Obviously you have shallower depth of field at any given aperture with the Fuji. And of course the selection of lenses available for the Olympus Micro 4/3 bodies are superb. The OMD works out as more expensive once you've bought a fast lens for it.

I do have a couple of niggles with the Fuji, the aperture ring on the lens is quite loose and very easily knocked when zooming or letting the camera hang in between shots. You won't know the aperture has shifted until you're metering your next frame. RAW support for the XE1 is limited at present.

Think of the Fuji as a Rolls Royce - refined luxury, not for people in a hurry. Think of the OMD as a Lotus Elise - pure fun, and great performance.

I'm looking forward to getting out with both cameras and taking proper pictures soon.

What sort of filters or nd grad should I look into or not really needed?

I got a Lee filter set the full size dslr so looks big on the omd

Bl**dy Royal Mail :razz: tried to deliver my Panny Leica 25mm from Amazon, at approx 2pm whilst I was in work, paid for the special delivery option to be delivered before 1pm, Amazon have refunded the delivery charges and I will have to go to the sorting office tomorrow morning, luckily it is only a mile or two down the road, so I will have it for the weekend and the Sussex Bonfire Societies finale at Barcombe. Will also be taking my Oly 45mm which has produced some cracking images of the Bonfire Societies for me this year, just in case.

Nothing beats going light and the micro four thirds system is just that. What has gone wrong though? Here are just the M4/3 cameras and lenses including the legacy fd lenses I have now acquired. I think I need some help. :LOL:

Gear by Alby Oakshott, on Flickr

I have the 12-35mm f2.8 panny lens, and it is a craking lens.

Taken with it.

Autumnembankment-small.jpg

Smallthistles-small.jpg

The thistle is in the park just down the road, and the river is about 5mins from my house.

Last edited:
Ajophotog said:
Nothing beats going light and the micro four thirds system is just that. What has gone wrong though? Here are just the M4/3 cameras and lenses including the legacy fd lenses I have now acquired. I think I need some help. :LOL:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alby_oakshott/8189220088/
Gear by Alby Oakshott, on Flickr

Mad mad mad ha ha what other gear you got then since you said just your MFT gears.

Do you find having Len hoods a good thing? Are all yours Olympus hoods as I like one for my kit lens

Mad mad mad ha ha what other gear you got then since you said just your MFT gears.

Do you find having Len hoods a good thing? Are all yours Olympus hoods as I like one for my kit lens

Lens hoods for the olympus lenses are cheaper copies, panny hoods are originals of course. Other gear are filters, flash, tripods and adapters. Couple of other cameras as well. Too much gear by far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lens hoods for the olympus lenses are cheaper copies, panny hoods are originals of course. Other gear are filters, flash, tripods and adapters. Too much gear by far.

Can you point me into the right direction on getting the cheaper copies for Olympus Hood please (y)

Can you point me into the right direction on getting the cheaper copies for Olympus Hood please (y)

Just search eBay for them. That is all I did and they cost a fraction of the originals.

Here a few ive done today still learning all the function etc.

PB150075 by Rooky5, on Flickr

PB150078 by Rooky5, on Flickr

PB150095 by Rooky5, on Flickr

The last one wish i got the sky right suppose filter is needed like I did with the 7D

Nice shots Andrew! Lovely colours.

Thanks Lindsay, Still alot to learn on this camera but I have found it so much easier and better at taking images on the OM-D it such a gem to use.

Super light on the first two shots Andrew.

Yup shame I wasnt down at the river when the sun was up it was just going down when I got out. Hence the reason I got good lights on the first 2 shots :)

If I was at the river when the sun was going down it be coming down on the left hand side so I bet the bank would of showed up nicely

Last edited:
Here is one taken with the Oly 40-150mm f5.6 1/500 ISO 200 focal length 150mm

Wormgear-resized.jpg

This was taken yesterday SOOC with small levels adjustment only.

Here is one taken with the Oly 40-150mm f5.6 1/500 ISO 200 focal length 150mm

Wormgear-resized.jpg

This was taken yesterday SOOC with small levels adjustment only.

It such a cracking lens isnt it got mine for £100 with the camera in a deal :) Love it and might put it on tmr and have walk about with it instead of the kit and do some zoom photos

Weldingblues said:
This is another one taken yesterday with the 12-35mm

Levels adjust and cropped

What software you using? Shooting raw? As cant view exif on ipad sorry.

Grrrr all this photos with different lens

It such a cracking lens isnt it got mine for £100 with the camera in a deal :) Love it and might put it on tmr and have walk about with it instead of the kit and do some zoom photos

I have only used it a couple of times but will be out and about again soon, so there could be more shots posted. I bought mine used at a good price and well pleased with it.

What software you using? Shooting raw? As cant view exif on ipad sorry.

Grrrr all this photos with different lens

Data

Camera Maker: OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Camera Model: E-M5
Lens: LUMIX G VARIO 12-35/F2.8
Image Date: 2012-11-14 11:48:10 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 21.0mm
Aperture: f/6.3
Exposure Time: 0.0008 s (1/1250)
ISO equiv: 200
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Light Source: Unknown
Flash Fired: No (Auto)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 10.0 Windows

Some nice photos Colin, I like the last one you posted. Super colour.

Anyone using Lightroom for RAW handling, I mentioned earlier on in the thread that I'm not at all impressed with Lightroom for handling OMD RAWs (Googling as pulled up a few others saying the same). The results from DxO and the Olympus image viewer are lovely, I'm also wanting to try capture one, but currently crashes on my PC and I waiting for customer support to come back to me.

That a great capture lovely colours well composed. Any filters been used for that as those the sorts of shot I struggle on

No filters just a bit of pp work, saturation, curves and contrast tweaking.

ShrubMonkey said:
Anyone using Lightroom for RAW handling, I mentioned earlier on in the thread that I'm not at all impressed with Lightroom for handling OMD RAWs (Googling as pulled up a few others saying the same). The results from DxO and the Olympus image viewer are lovely, I'm also wanting to try capture one, but currently crashes on my PC and I waiting for customer support to come back to me.

I am using aperture and don't see a problem yet. What is it in Lightroom making the image awful?

Sorry Mate can't help as I use aperture, they seem find using that. I have tried the olly software but it is soooo slow.

Ajophotog said:
No filters just a bit of pp work, saturation, curves and contrast tweaking.

Excellent will have to learn to do some PP work properly :) which software you using think it Lightroom?

Ahhhhh aperture that good

Sorry Mate can't help as I use aperture, they seem find using that. I have tried the olly software but it is soooo slow.

Ahh yes remember your an Aperture chap. The results from the Oly software are good, but as with all camera manafacturer RAW converters it's pants (Well Canon's was ok I seem to remember).

I wish I could get Capture One to work, but DxO has some nice results too

Ahh yes remember your an Aperture chap. The results from the Oly software are good, but as with all camera manafacturer RAW converters it's pants (Well Canon's was ok I seem to remember).

I wish I could get Capture One to work, but DxO has some nice results too

Do you get any messages from capture one when it crashes?

Back