Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Doors within doors, nice idea and light. Shame about that cupboard though.

E-M10 1/1250s f/2.8 at 75.0mm iso200
157367999.jpg

I thought I would share some images I have taken with my EM-5. As a life long Canon user, I was drawn to the EM-5 in May 2014 after trying one in a local store. The size/ weight of the camera and the IQ are great. But the real added bonuses for me have been Live Time and a touch screen features - both are invaluable for long exposure shots. I am still struggling to get used to the 4:3 aspect ratio but this is due to working with 3:2 previously, I will get used to it! I have been comparing the IQ to shots with my Canon 7D and I cannot see much difference.

Anyway, some recent shots below for anyone interested or tempted to invest in an Olympus system:

Cornwall
by Stephen Walford Photography, on Flickr

Cornwall

Cornwall

Greece

Greece

I have always like Olympus and now am being drawn towards an EM1 with 12-40 to use as a second system to my Fuji gear.
I know the EM5 is a lot cheaper, so what would I really miss if I went for the 5 over the 1 ( except an empty wallet)
Allan

Thank Wes, but I was hoping for a real life opinion, Snapsort seem to get lots of the important facts wrong

Don't rule out the 10 :)
I did see a 10 vs 1 review and it fared pretty well bar for the weather sealing and 3 rather than 5 axis IBIS which apparently in the real world makes little difference.

I was concerned that the 10 might be a little small, I don't have dainty hands.
I do like the idea that it has the later processor and a better rear screen though.
Allan

It is small, but I find it fine and I've bigish hands. I would say though that you'd want the grip for any of the heavier lenses such as the 14-40 2.8
My advice would be to nip over to a local stockist if you have one and try one.

I am going to try out all 3 today, I was leaning towards the 5 as I can buy it with the 12-40 lens and probably won't need the extra grip.

Last edited:
Excellent, let know what you're findings are, personally I've only handled the 10 so would be very curious about your findings. If you do find the 10 front heavy with heavier lenses do ask to try it with the grip too though as despite it being batteryless it does make a difference.

I handled both the 5 and 10 and it was pretty obvious to me that the 10 was the newer model. Everything just felt more refined. Didn't really notice much size difference but the size difference between the 5/10 and the 1 I imagine would be more due to the grip. A review I watched a while back on the 1 compared it to the size of a Nikon D5200.

I'm glad you said that, I was thinking of a way not to buy an M1, a camera the size of a 5200 is too big, might as well carry a DSLR about. I don't really want a camera bigger than my X-T1 and I think the 5 is a similar size.
Allan

Worth remembering its not so much the body size as the lens.

Worth remembering its not so much the body size as the lens.
I'd disagree with that.

I also have the EOS-M, i swapped from a 60D to CSC last year, with a lack of lenses available for the EOS-M, i went out the other day with a choice to make, do i stick with the M and use the adapter for EF/EF-S lenses, or look at a different CSC system with a wider range of lenses. In the end, the main reason i went with the E-M10 was because i miss using a viewfinder, it feels more natural for me.

Anyway, my point is, i tried the EF-S 10-22 on my EOS-M and it still felt much more compact than it would have on my old 60D.

Well, heres a couple of comparisons with roughly the same ranges:

http://j.mp/1zMIHqv

5D3 + 24-70mm (1.9kg)
EM10 + 12-40mm (0.78kg)

Rebel T5i + 24-105mm (1.24kg)
EM10 + 14-42mm EZ (0.49kg)

There is quite a size difference, plus take into account the weight.

BTW for full disclosure - Comparing a full frame with a mirrorless is a serious apples and pears example - the 5D3 kicks the EM10's butt (especially in anything AF related), but the convenience of taking out a small shoulder bag vs a rucksack far outweighs the benefit, that plus the fact I now seem to have damaged my wrist has forced my hand somewhat.
All that said I do own both and the 5D3 has only been out once since I got the M10.

Last edited:
Actually damn good point, nice one Lee :)

No worries John, I booked mine for a Saturday and as it thinks Sunday is not a working day I had it from Friday lunchtime to Monday lunchtime :)

I'd disagree with that.

I also have the EOS-M, i swapped from a 60D to CSC last year, with a lack of lenses available for the EOS-M, i went out the other day with a choice to make, do i stick with the M and use the adapter for EF/EF-S lenses, or look at a different CSC system with a wider range of lenses. In the end, the main reason i went with the E-M10 was because i miss using a viewfinder, it feels more natural for me.

Anyway, my point is, i tried the EF-S 10-22 on my EOS-M and it still felt much more compact than it would have on my old 60D.

How does that relate to what John said?

M4/3 lenses are smaller than Fuji lenses and also smaller than DSLR lenses too.

I know the EM5 is a lot cheaper, so what would I really miss if I went for the 5 over the 1 ( except an empty wallet)
Allan
E-M1 has the really excellent big viewfinder over the E-M5's good viewfinder,
and a proper grip,
and better behaviour with older 4/3rds lenses
plus better buttons and wheels, depending on opinion.

Why not take advantage of the 'Test and Wow' promotion and have a play with one for 24 hrs
Thanks Lee, I didn't know about that, but the nearest official dealer that I can book a Test and Wow is 60 miles away.
Anyway, thanks for all the info, I just got back from looking at all three ( they were all used, not new) Like David says, there really isn't much difference in size between the 5 and 10 but the 5 felt nicer to me, plus it now comes as a kit with the 12-40 f2.8 ( which I wanted). There are a few subtle changes with the look of the new EM5 body as well, apparently.
The EM1 was lovely, but, I couldn't justify the £360+ extra and with the bigger grip, it did feel too big, it just wasn't what I wanted.
Just been checking the shots I took at the shop at home and I think I can expect images as good as my Fuji kit, but the AF is just so much faster, it really is noticeable.
All in all, a good day.
I ordered an E-M5 with 12-40 lens, should be in next week
Allan

Thanks Lee, I didn't know about that, but the nearest official dealer that I can book a Test and Wow is 60 miles away.
Anyway, thanks for all the info, I just got back from looking at all three ( they were all used, not new) Like David says, there really isn't much difference in size between the 5 and 10 but the 5 felt nicer to me, plus it now comes as a kit with the 12-40 f2.8 ( which I wanted). There are a few subtle changes with the look of the new EM5 body as well, apparently.
The EM1 was lovely, but, I couldn't justify the £360+ extra and with the bigger grip, it did feel too big, it just wasn't what I wanted.
Just been checking the shots I took at the shop at home and I think I can expect images as good as my Fuji kit, but the AF is just so much faster, it really is noticeable.
All in all, a good day.
I ordered an E-M5 with 12-40 lens, should be in next week
Allan

I started to dabble into m/42 kit again not going to replace my Fuji stuff,but i got the EM5 & the 12-40 s/h and a 60 marco :)

Back