Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

My EM5 eyecup is fine yet others have problems. So I'm wondering if they fixed it in later models. Mine was new in Jan 13.
Some great pictures there Jo, really good (god I love SE Asia).
How do you feel about the 4:3 ratio?
If you crop to suit the subject, the native ratio is of little importance. Although 3:2 sensors are oddly long and thin.

Last edited:
(hoping multi quote works, not tried it before).

Generally my experience of the OM-D's jpeg engine is mixed.

I agree that it's better to get it right in the camera however out of the box the Olympus (M5) isn't actually set up to get the best out of it's jpegs. For one thing I recall having to switch the jpeg default compression from fine to super fine. Unfortunately I only realised this after a year or two of ownership. Noise reduction is aggressive so that needs to be toned down to low or switched off. Keep warm colours also needs to be switched off. Once that's been done you need to switch off (imho) all the stupid ART modes. Then all that remains is to tweak the individual colour modes to your liking. Personally I push sharpness a notch.

Even with this there are times that the files contain some really ugly artefacts interrupting things like nice graduations in sky at sunset. These aren't present in the RAW files letting you grab a cleaner image via lightroom. Often the jpegs are good enough and don't require tweaking too much.... but sometimes they suck.

This isn't unique to Olympus, other manufacturers have their own set of issues with jpeg rendering.

My EM5 eyecup is fine yet others have problems. So I'm wondering if they fixed it in later models. Mine was new in Jan 13.
If you crop to suit the subject, the native ratio is of little importance. Although 3:2 sensors are oddly long and thin.

Never had a problem with my E-M5's eye cup and it's one of the first released bodies from early 2012.
I have changed the stock eyecup to the EP-14 (E-M10) version though which I find a bit nicer in profile.
My E-M1 is fitted with the deeper EP-13 which I find much nicer than the standard in use.

With regard to 4:3 -v- the 3:2 ratio I agree, I just crop to suit in Capture One as I generally shoot RAW pretty much 100%.
I will say that 4:3 is much nicer for portraits.

Last edited:
Also a 4:3 sensor means smaller lenses for the same sensor area. Which is why Fuji lenses are so much bulkier for a similar sized sensor.
But I'd like it to go further and have a circular multi ratio sensor. So shorter or square cropped images gain pixels in height.

Last edited:
I think it's likely related to how you use the camera. Having gone through so many myself (probably £100 worth) I've not noticed any change in the design. Oddly enough my 5th replacement eyecup came today.

Mine doesn't take too much of a beating, but its slung round my neck or round the side when wandering round busy streets, on motorbike taxis, in clubs, etc. I think the rubbing against my clothes causes these things to fatigue over time!

Just wondering if anyone knows of light room profiles that replicate how the e-m10 processes jpegs. I ask as I like what it does sooc, but noticed those jaggies once on an image I had with power lines.

In what way John? Isn't it down to what picture mode you have it set to on the camera? Just choose that one from the drop down menu in Lr? I think my em10 is set to natural so the jpeg image it shows on the screen has that profile applied to it.

Maybe shoot both RAW and jpeg then edit the RAW file to look as close to the jpeg as possible and save it as a preset?

Yeah, I was thinking I might try to make my own.

Basically what I meant was it would be nice to shoot in raw then apply the "E-M10" preset and take it from there. I knows there's a fair few things out there that replicate film stock but it would be nice to see something that replicated the way cameras adjust things, and for that matter the art modes too.

art modes... wash your mouth out!

:D

I'd just make your own, but maybe there is one out there already.

I've looked into the Olympus FL600R. Think I'm going to pick one up in the new year. Maybe February for my birthday actually. Jessops have the grip in for £54 which although nearly twice the price, i haven't got to wait for it as i want everything NOW and the missus needs to sort me a present out for Christmas. :D I think it's a must as I'm struggling with the size a little if I'm honest. (yeah yeah yeah, that was the reason for buying it in the first place, i know!)

I'm not sure about your flash needs are but take a look at the m43 version of the Nissin i40. It's small, has simple controls and is fully featured.

lol, well one of them wasn't bad... I forget which one now :)

haha, you just reminded me of when I opened my FL600R, now I'm not taken to cute action but I did "aw.." at it, its just so cute... Shame I almost never use flash!

I'm having no issues at all with the size, am finding everything to hand and loving the images the camera produces.

Will probably need to look at a flash next year

Is the e-m10 screen a full touchscreen?

If i select the focus square from the menu it brings up the various options for S-AF, C-AF MF etc but i can't seect them by touching the screen, i have to select them via the buttons on the direction pad. Is this correct? Also can i set the sensitivity of it?

I have to double tap them which then brings up a menu at the bottom and then they need to be selected via the direction pad

It sounds as bad as the EM5. Where they screwed up the interface by only using touch for a few tasks. For example, changing ISO should be fast. Pressing the ISO button should bring up a full screen grid of values plus AUTO similar to the SCP. Just tap the one you want. But sadly you have to scroll through every one with the arrow keys or wheels. So going from AUTO to 3200 is 14 clicks plus ok. And the same again to go back.
At the very least they should let you jump between AUTO and your last used ISO as well as a chosen favourite using the up down arrows. But nooooo.

Last edited:
if you press the info button it brings up the 'mega screen' (or something inanely similar) where you can access all the options via the touch screen. Otherwise you press the home button and more the selection up and down and change it by going side to side.

I guess this is to avoid changing the settings with your nose :D

Just a head's up in case anyone hasn't seen it yet, but there's a new firmware update for the EM1 available - 2.2, as well as a brand new firmware for the 12-40 F2.8 lens @ 1.1

OMD-EM1 - Firmware 2.2 - The issue in firmware version 2.0 and 2.1 where bright points appear in some images has been resolved.

12-40 F2.8 Pro - Firmware 1.1 - Stability of lens aperture when shooting videos has been improved.

Just noticed them and updated this morning - sorry if it's old news (not seen the one on the lens before ?)

Am going to need a second battery I think - once one bar goes, it seems to go red very quickly :eek:

Am going to need a second battery I think - once one bar goes, it seems to go red very quickly :eek:

Yeah, although it will take the battery a few cycles to normalise. It would be nice to have the option to turn off the rear screen completely and only use the EVF, I do this on my V1 and it makes the battery last lots longer.

Can you not do that (ish) by pressing the button at the side of the evf ?

You can turn it off all together by pressing the evf button and selecting OFF.

I shot the whole boxing event and never lost a bar on the battery indicator.

Sorry, can you talk me through that - can't see a way of selecting off - if you press info you can make it so it goes blank but the backlight is still on which will drain the battery too.

If you hold the EVF button (located just left of the EVF) in for a few seconds a menu item will appear. By default I think it's set to Auto switch using the eye sensor between the EVF and LCD, but if you set it to off, the monitor goes off (and so does the back light) and only the EVF is active (much like a DSLR), but the LCD is still available for image review as normal.

Might help you ?

Last edited:
There is a great blog somewhere where they go through all the useful settings on the EM5 that is mostly applicable to the EM1 as well. Might be useful for the 10 too. I'll see if I can find it.

Last edited:
These are great - why have these been kept a secret from me? :thinking::mad:

:ty:

Some nice stuff in the SRS sale (link) - such as the 75mm for £100 off

Nice, great price too, mine was about that second hand

Back