Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Oh dear. Wex selling the EM1 with12-40 & 40-150 pro lenses for £1849. I bit! Fuji cameras and lenses will have to be sold

I saw that deal and though why would you buy an EM1ii body when you can get the EM1 and two of the very best lenses I've ever owned for the same money, it's effectively a free body (the lenses really are fantastic).

Yep. Fantastic price. I cant wait to play :)

Be sure to update the body to the latest firmware before you get started. One of the annoyances of the OMD cameras is that there are sooooo many options (good thing) that it takes ages to settle on your preferred settings but then there is no way of saving them when you upgrade the firmware so do that first.

Oh dear. Wex selling the EM1 with12-40 & 40-150 pro lenses for £1849. I bit! Fuji cameras and lenses will have to be sold

Quite a deal that, well done.
Doesn't look like they're offering that now though.

I do 3-5 seconds max, IBIS off.
That's all.

I do 3-5 seconds max, IBIS off.
That's all.

Do I need mf?

When I put it on and press the shutter for the first time it just hangs, is it because it is hunting for a focus point?

Maybe I should have trialled this before tonight!

Do I need mf?

When I put it on and press the shutter for the first time it just hangs, is it because it is hunting for a focus point?

Maybe I should have trialled this before tonight!
Another thing to consider is live composite but a bit late now I suspect.

Anyone here had the Fuji XT1 or XT2 and come back to EM1??

I had a Fuji XE-1 and various lenses (14, 35, 60, 18-55 and 55-200) for a while but decided to stay with Olympus.
Admittedly the XE-1 dynamics were not the same as the XT-1 but the image quality is very similar.

Anyone here had the Fuji XT1 or XT2 and come back to EM1??
The opposite for me. Just sold my 6 m43 bodies and lenses in favour of keeping the Fuji kit.

Both equally as brilliant but for different reasons but the trade off on one basis the other differed enough to help me decide on which direction to take.

You'll not be disappointed going from Fuji to Olympus but you'll not sit and ever think it was the right decision as there really isn't all that much in it.

Good to know. I have xpro1, xe2 and xt1 with numerous lenses inc the 50-140 pro. I will keep the xt1, 18-135 and 35 1.4 and sell the rest. Im looking forward to the olympus em1 with pro lenses

Be sure to update the body to the latest firmware before you get started. One of the annoyances of the OMD cameras is that there are sooooo many options (good thing) that it takes ages to settle on your preferred settings but then there is no way of saving them when you upgrade the firmware so do that first.
It's different now. It will keep your settings from the last firmware update onwards. If you still have the firmware previous to that, it would lose your settings.

It's different now. It will keep your settings from the last firmware update onwards. If you still have the firmware previous to that, it would lose your settings.

I think that depends on where you're starting from. 4.0 to 4.1 could be saved but not from previous FW.

In London for Jurassic Park at the Royal Albert Hall yesterday, it was already pretty much fully dark when I came out so not ideal for evening shots, but I grabbed a few quick ones using the Gorillapod one the way back to the station...

London by Night by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

I had no idea it was capturing stars for these two at the Eye, otherwise I would have stayed a bit longer for some star trails as well.

All using Live Comp which I kinda tried to figure out as I went along. Annoyingly the E-M1 somehow changed to adjusting WB with one wheel and Metering with the other half way through, so I got stuck on one aperture. Any ideas?

Last edited:
In London for Jurassic Park at the Royal Albert Hall yesterday, it was already pretty much fully dark when I came out so not ideal for evening shots, but I grabbed a few quick ones using the Gorillapod one the way back to the station...

I had no idea it was capturing stars for these two at the Eye, otherwise I would have stayed a bit longer for some star trails as well.

All using Live Comp which I kinda tried to figure out as I went along. Annoyingly the E-M1 somehow changed to adjusting WB with one wheel and Metering with the other half way through, so I got stuck on one aperture. Any ideas?

That's a great set, I know this part of London well and you've certainly done it justice :)

This the reason I fancy a em1 cos of live comp wishes there was other cameras that does this

This the reason I fancy a em1 cos of live comp wishes there was other cameras that does this

It's pretty amazing, especially see it all happen live. Can't believe no other mirrorless manufacturer has managed something similar yet. That and Live Time make night shooting an absolute joy.

It just the high ISO. But the em1 mkii should be a better high ISO

ibis be same on both?? Wonder if it better than Sony a7ii ibis?

Or better IBIS so you can use lower ISO

No use with moving subjects, unfortunately. I'd use an E-M1 for weddings in a heartbeat if it had better high ISO performance. Other than that it pretty much ticks every single box for me (well, it not having proper Auto ISO control with minimum shutter speeds etc is maddening in this day and age).

No use with moving subjects, unfortunately. I'd use an E-M1 for weddings in a heartbeat if it had better high ISO performance. Other than that it pretty much ticks every single box for me (well, it not having proper Auto ISO control with minimum shutter speeds etc is maddening in this day and age).

As this been fix on the mkii? The auto ISO minimum shutter speed

Last edited:
Last edited:
Picked up the EM1 with the two pro lenes at the Wilkinson camera show for £1749, also got the battery grip from the Olympus site.

Really appreciate your post. I didn't even know about the grip offer. Fantastic. Thanks :)

I think that depends on where you're starting from. 4.0 to 4.1 could be saved but not from previous FW.

I found that out the hard way a few weeks ago. Genuinely took a couple of hours to get back to where I started.

Back