Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

as stated above toby it goes totally over the top of my head , at my age I fully realise that different subjects need different approaches ,but what I don't need is to fill my head full of gobbledygook and maths equations ,I go out (if and when fit enough ) fire off a few snaps ,sometimes there excellent other times not .

it matters not to me ,as long as I get a sharp shot of my subject matter then thats great . I don't need to know what D.O.F or F.O.V its taken at/with just is it a pleasing to me result

.... Understanding the differences at such an intense level of detail has never got in the way of me getting the shot I intended. That's the beauty of shooting fully Manual-mode on a mirrorless WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) camera and helped further by shooting on high quality zoom lenses.

I do respect that serious landscape photographers tend to get extremely serious about the detail to the Nth degree. As my subjects are alive and kicking wildlife and on the move, it is less important to me. Besides, I don't think scientifically about anything much in life.
Yep we all have our own ways of doing things, none are wrong as long as we get the results we intended. For 'grab shot' landscapes when I'm out walking the dog etc I tend to shoot at f11 on FF or f5.6 on MFT and focus roughly where I think it's going to give me the best DOF, as long as it's reaching infinity I don't mind too much whether I have an extra 2 feet or whatever in focus in the foreground.

If I'm doing landscapes 'properly' I have made a chart for the hyperfocal distance at different focal lengths and apertures so that I have as much in focus as possible, but I haven't been out to take a dedicated landscape for a long time now and I can't actually remember where said chart is :LOL:

oh well back to normality then ,heres another shot of last weeks adorable curlew sandpiper on the move over some rocks . the few seconds that you get when there in full profile view as opposed to beak tucked in .simply doesn't give you time to make any adjustments on the fly . just spray-pray-and hope you got focus on the eye and correct DOF
the way up by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

topaz de-noise has just been updated to current subscribers to v3-3-1 downloaded it this morning to check its running o.k ... quite impressed with the couple of shots done so far as below shot at iso 6400 in dark woods

Attachments

• as shot .jpg
    as shot .jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 28
  • dark woods.jpg
    dark woods.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 28
TBH on my iPad I can’t really see any difference - they both look low-noise. I’ll update mine later, though I no longer use it since I got DeepPrime.

TBH on my iPad I can’t really see any difference - they both look low-noise. I’ll update mine later, though I no longer use it since I got DeepPrime.
Click on photos to view full screen . I can see the difference on my I.pad

Looks good Jeff but another $80 to update i will stay with 2.2.12 as i'm happy with that to be honest.

Rob.

Click on photos to view full screen . I can see the difference on my I.pad
Not gonna lie to you Jeff, I don't see much difference either on the MacBook.

Edit: Bit of a smoother background on closer inspection but the squirrel looks the same to me.

Last edited:
Yes the squirrel looks the same but the background looks a lot better .
Rob.

Yes the squirrel looks the same but the background looks a lot better .
Rob.
well yes obviously rob , but thats what its supposed to do remove the background noise without destroying subject detail ,even enhancing it

and another one .. shot directly into the sun the original was just a dark blob ,so a fir bit of Lightroom adjustments to bring out some detail and then a bland sky replaced .not my best but shows what can be done
the gathering storm by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

photo above as shot

Attachments

• as shot .jpg
    as shot .jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 14
heres the very first shot I took of last months rare visitor to north Wales ,a squacco heron ,400 plus shots later and this one still nailed it
bewildered by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Thanks Trevor. This was probably one of the last steamers of the year, and the station is only a 10 minute walk away, so I thought I’d better make the effort.
Looks like you were at Settle. Tornado and Flying Scotsman will be double heading your way on October 20, 21, 27 and 28.

Looks like you were at Settle. Tornado and Flying Scotsman will be double heading your way on October 20, 21, 27 and 28.
Thanks for the heads-up. Yes, I live close to the station. Can hear the whistles from our house.

Back