Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I just read the following about the level gauge on the EM1.

"This implementation, however, has one nice improvement: the gauge display can be removed from the image area in the viewfinder; when the release button is half-pressed, it will appear where the exposure compensation scale usually is; the latter will be back as soon as the compensation wheel is moved (or after a picture has been taken). This actually works better than it sounds; simple and unobtrusive, a very nice design!

How do I get this to work on my camera?

Allan

Last edited:
Pretty much covered it, but yes, i hate scratches on my screen. Just a personal thing really, you either like em or you don't. No need to make a big issue about it.

The one i fitted was 0.5mm thick glass and it still allowed full functionality of the touch screen. A good addition imo. I received one this morning for my D7100.

Cracking pics as always Alf. :)

I was asking. But getting a real answer was taking a while. I still never found out why some might be awesome and others not. I'm wondering if everybody has them and if I too should get one.

I've not yet had any noticeable damage on camera or smartphone screens. Although the smartphones have that toughened gorilla glass.

Last edited:
For those of you that use a cable release, do you recommend the Oly one or is there another dependable brand you use?.

Pretty much covered it, but yes, i hate scratches on my screen. Just a personal thing really, you either like em or you don't. No need to make a big issue about it.

The one i fitted was 0.5mm thick glass and it still allowed full functionality of the touch screen. A good addition imo. I received one this morning for my D7100.

Cracking pics as always Alf. :)

Which make did you use on your Oly.

Thank you,

Trevor

GGS Larmor, Trevor. Was a tenner from Amazon.

Ian, the film type screen protectors tend to peel off when I have fitted them and like I mentioned earlier, I usually end up with dust, hair and air bubbles underneath them which annoys the hell out of me. The above make I found to be 'awesome' in the fact you literally line it up and touch the middle of it and it just fits itself perfectly with no bubbles or any other issues. You get a little wipe which cleans the screen and dries instantly ready for application.

I tend not to mis-treat my gear, but I like to think I have the 'proper' screen covered.

I was asking. But getting a real answer was taking a while. I still never found out why some might be awesome and others not. I'm wondering if everybody has them and if I too should get one.

I've not yet had any noticeable damage on camera or smartphone screens. Although the smartphones have that toughened gorilla glass.
I've had scratches on camera led screens. I hate the look of them and they will probably have a detrimental effect on resale value, if that is important to you.
Whether a screen protector is awesome or not, depends on your reason for fitting it and how it performs and lasts.
On my DSLR's I fitted GGS glass protectors. They were awesome because they were easy to apply and didn't trap dust or have bubbles. They were crystal clear and came off if you needed them too. They also looked pretty good.
On touch screen displays, I use Expert Shield.
These are awesome because, they fit very well. There are easy to apply, as long as you take care to keep dust out ( a steamy bathroom works well to keep dust down) they are crystal clear and you can't tell they are there. they carry a lifetime warranty too. I have had to send a couple back and got replacements as quick as a flash.
A non awesome screen protector would be one that doesn't fit, isn't clear to see through and doesn't lay flat / become invisible in use, and scratches easily.
I think it is more important to get a good make protector on a touch screen as soon as you can. Grit on your finger can scratch the screen before you know it.
Allan

GGS Larmor, Trevor. Was a tenner from Amazon.

Ian, the film type screen protectors tend to peel off when I have fitted them and like I mentioned earlier, I usually end up with dust, hair and air bubbles underneath them which annoys the hell out of me. The above make I found to be 'awesome' in the fact you literally line it up and touch the middle of it and it just fits itself perfectly with no bubbles or any other issues. You get a little wipe which cleans the screen and dries instantly ready for application.

I tend not to mis-treat my gear, but I like to think I have the 'proper' screen covered.

Thanks David, that'll do for me!

Yes. But why do people feel they need one?
I've never had screen damage yet. And I'm wondering if I need this.
But nobody has said they've damaged their screen yet. So either people with "awesome" screen protectors are those over protective types. Or the opposite, who expect real damage as their camera gets bashed about.

I've scratched screens on my DSLRs before, or rather I've scratched screen protectors and have been glad I was able to change them as scratches can be annoying and equally I've scratched actual screens, which is even more annoying.

That said, the tend to get scratched from dangling from my neck whilst trekking and rubbing against a rucksack buckle or something - I don't tend to baby my kit, it's a tool.

On a different note, I popped into LCE today and had a fondle of the EM1 with 12-40 f/2.8.

Oh. My. God.

Want. Badly.

Also, I just picked up my D610 with 28-300 attached and jeepers its big and heavy, did I really lump that around everywhere?

Not quite sure I can pluck up the courage to ditch the Nikon for the EM1 but boy is it tempting...

Don't ditch it. Keep it with the aim to use it for those special tasks. And if the dust builds up on it, you'll know your bond with it is weakening. My precious.

Last edited:
I agree, now I've not had the olys all that long, but I hadn't used my dslr for a while due to the weight and aches at the end of the day so I just sold the full frame.
I just picked up the 1 so haven't played with it much yet due to work and family time but it does seem very good but is a bit different from the 10, but as suggested do keep hold of it for a while at least just to make sure the mirrorless is what you want and understand that when it comes to certain aspects it just isn't as good as you're used to.

Last edited:
I do, however have lots of Nikon lenses which I don't use and could sell and I think that's what I'm going to do. Keep the D610 and lenses I actually use and then sell the lenses I don't to fund an EM1.

Does anyone have the 40-150 f/2.8 yet? would love to hear some reports and see some pics.

Thats a good plan.

I don't have that one although some of the shots are great I'm seeing out of it - I'm thinking it's too big for me, plus not really fast enough for the investment - I do grant you its much smaller than equivalent systems, but that argument seems a little like saying the Titanic's not that big because its not as big as the Queen Mary II.

I do, however have lots of Nikon lenses which I don't use and could sell and I think that's what I'm going to do. Keep the D610 and lenses I actually use and then sell the lenses I don't to fund an EM1.

Does anyone have the 40-150 f/2.8 yet? would love to hear some reports and see some pics.

I've had it since release, it's a lovely bit of kit to handle and use. Optically stunning of course.
A great match for the 12-40, I'm extremely pleased with it.

I've posted some images here on Olympus System Talk http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36002 and http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36128

Last edited:
Does anybody use a tripod with their Oly's much? I find that the tripods that I use with the my nikon gear( A Benro and a Uni loc ) seems to be defeating the object of going lightespecially with the Uni loc.
Think that I need a new one with suitable head. Just wondering what other people are using..........recommendations

Last edited:
Yes. Get the right size for the job. I have two. Both quite portable. But one is smaller and lighter for night shots with the 9-18mm wide lens.

Last edited:
I have a few tripods
I have a Slik Pro 500 DX with a thre way head for use at the beach nice and sturdy in the wind
I have a Giotto MTL 8360B with a Manfrotto 460MG head for landscapes and macro which is nice to use
I have a Slik Sprint Pro II for travel use which will hold my Gripped E-M1 and 12-40 easily.

The Giotto Silk roads would be nice as would the manfrotto BeFree as woul other more compact tripods.
You dont need the 12Kg load capacity.

Thanks for the info Alf.
Quite like the sounds of the slik Sprint Pro simply because of its weight and Physical size. I cant see the point in lugging a huge tripod around when I'm carrying my lovely "small and extremely light E-M1 around.:D

Has this been shown here

Hi Alf, just spied the Manfrotto Be Free you mentioned. Looks exactly what I'm looking for, size and weight seems perfect

Hi Alf, just spied the Manfrotto Be Free you mentioned. Looks exactly what I'm looking for, size and weight seems perfect

I had a look at one in a shop and it looked and felt good unlike some of the clunky Manfrotto offerings.

I have a few tripods
I have a Slik Pro 500 DX with a thre way head for use at the beach nice and sturdy in the wind
I have a Giotto MTL 8360B with a Manfrotto 460MG head for landscapes and macro which is nice to use
I have a Slik Sprint Pro II for travel use which will hold my Gripped E-M1 and 12-40 easily.

The Giotto Silk roads would be nice as would the manfrotto BeFree as woul other more compact tripods.
You dont need the 12Kg load capacity.

I am starting to wonder that my Manfrotto tripod is going to be overkill for the EM5. Will probably need a light wieght small travel option.

I am starting to wonder that my Manfrotto tripod is going to be overkill for the EM5. Will probably need a light wieght small travel option.
Thats why i'm looking, apart from the weight issue the E-M1 looks strange on a huge tripod

Here are a couple of shots taken at the same time.Both shots edited from RAW and treated very siiliarly but processed on consecutive days.

This was taken handheld with the my E-M5 and the 14-42 EZ lens with no filters..

Beach-sunset-pool-E-M5 by alf.branch, on Flickr

This shot was taken with the E-M1 on a tripod with the 12-40 f2.8 and and |ND grad filter

Beach-sunset-pool by alf.branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
Can most definitely see a big difference there Alf. Not sure whether its the camera /lens config or the addition of the tripod on the last one.
I really need to invest in a light tripod.

Back