Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Too busy refurbishing a house at the moment, getting mains drains connected tomorrow, electricity should be connected next week, more than enough fencing to put up to keep dogs in/ horses out, new toilet to fit( to christen the drains) then new kitchen and shower room, that's before we decorate, so time may be limited..........
I still have to try out my new EM5 too!
Allan

Too busy refurbishing a house at the moment, getting mains drains connected tomorrow, electricity should be connected next week, more than enough fencing to put up to keep dogs in/ horses out, new toilet to fit( to christen the drains) then new kitchen and shower room, that's before we decorate, so time may be limited..........
I still have to try out my new EM5 too!
Allan

To many cameras,not that i have got that problem :whistle:

Can someone please tell me how much of a difference in quality there is between the 12-50 and the newer 12-40, ie; build, image, weatherproofing etc; I'm contemplating buying an E-M1 and wondering why there is such a big price difference between the the two lenses when they come as a kit with the body.

Thanks in advance.

Can someone please tell me how much of a difference in quality there is between the 12-50 and the newer 12-40, ie; build, image, weatherproofing etc; I'm contemplating buying an E-M1 and wondering why there is such a big price difference between the the two lenses when they come as a kit with the body.

Thanks in advance.

Google is my friend :rolleyes: so I've probably found out what I needed to know, thoughts on image quality still welcome though.

Google is my friend :rolleyes: so I've probably found out what I needed to know, thoughts on image quality still welcome though.

I've owned the 12-50, 12-35 (Lumix) and now own the 12-40 (as well as the 14-42 EZ)
Optically the 12-35 & 12-40 are similarly excellent with the 12-40 just edging it (excuse the pun) with excellent resolution and sharpness corner to corner, edge to edge and lovely contrast too.
The 12-50 is certainly under rated but is by no means as mediocre as some reviews would have you believe, however it is not in the same class optically as either the 12-35 or 12-40. The 12-50 does have a handy macro function that is quite impressive though.
For me it's the 12-40 all the way.

I saw a twin lens kit M5 with grip on Amazon flash deals today. "Reduced" to £749.

I know it is the obvious question but how would this stack up against my ageing D90. I am tempted to sell up my Nikon and move to 4/3rds of mainly for the smaller form.

I couldn't really comment on a D90 verses the E-M5 interms of specifics because I've not owned a D90 but I would expect that you would find the E-M5 an improvement in pretty much most areas.
My advice would be to go into a camera shop that stocks Oly, pick one up and try it.

#Thread revival...

Am getting naffed off with my d7000. Got a 35mm 1.8g, 17-50vc 2.8, 85 1.8g and 70-300 VR which are split over 2 rucksacks.

Have been thinking of changing but am confuddled by the olympus range. The e-m1 is obviously top but it's pretty close in size to my d7000. It's also £1200 or so grey. So that leads to the e-m5 but that's about to be replaced in February.

I go drag racing 3 times a year so ability to focus quickly would be good. Also, I do quite a few night car meets so low light ability ? I read that the e-m5 was better than the e-m1 ?

Is there any obvious pros/cons for either ? There's about £400 difference if bought with the 12-40...

Low light performance is similar, where the E-M5 has the edge is on longer exposures.
I have both bodies and use them both regularly. The E-M5 is more compact without the optional grip. I tend you use my E-M5 gripless with my small fast primes and the E-M1 with my zooms.
I find image quality to be pretty similar, the E-M1 might be a tad sharper with good glass fitted. It's a real credit to the E-M5 that it's still holding it's own more than two years after it's release.
Both focus very fast (S-AF) but the E-M1 tracks better (C-AF). The E-M1 viewfinder is a nice step up from the E-M5 but the E-M5's EVF is still good. The optiional vertical grip for the E-M5 is neat in that you can split it, the first stage adds an additional hand grip and not too much height, the second stage adds the vertical grip and the extra battery.
The E-M5 and 12-40 Pro kit is an amazing deal at Hdew cameras right now.

Thanks Huw. I use the d7000 for panning so I assume that the e-m5 won't have any issues with that ? Its a tempting deal at hdew that's for sure..

#Thread revival...

...... The e-m1 is obviously top but it's pretty close in size to my d7000. It's also £1200 or so grey. So that leads to the e-m5 but that's about to be replaced in February.
Actually, the EM1 is quite a lot smaller than the Nikon, see here...
http://camerasize.com/compare/#7,482

Allan

So would you go for the em-1, e-m5 or wait for the e-m6 ? I can't afford to keep the Nikon set up so it has to be the correct decision...

I wouldn't rule out the E-M10 if you're looking for real size reduction, although I would get the grip if you're thinking of the 12-40 - you'd loose weather sealing but get a much improved EVF and a fair amount of cash in your back pocket.
All that said I suspect the M6 will have all of those pros plus improved video & PDAF (although I hope its more than just cramming old tech in from the M1) and as its announced for February its not that long of a wait, but a second hand M10 or M5 would let you test out the waters pretty cheaply.

Also I've heard the Panny GX7 is very good although the EVF or IBIS isn't supposed to be anywhere near as good.

Last edited:
Thanks Huw. I use the d7000 for panning so I assume that the e-m5 won't have any issues with that ? Its a tempting deal at hdew that's for sure..

When panning with the E-M5 I tended to use S-AF as it's still very quick.
Some examples...
Red Kite

Some from Dunsfold Wings and Wheels 2012

I think to make a choice you would be better off handling the E-M1 and E-M5 back to back to see which you prefer.

Last edited:
I prefer the E-M1 over the E-M5 mainly because the ergonomics of the 2x2 dials and dedicated buttons top left. Bracketing on the E-M5 needs 14 clicks to activate and 14 to deactivate. But WiFi and focus peaking of the E-M1 are also killer features sadly missing on the E-M5.

Last edited:
...WiFi and focus peaking of the E-M1 are also killer features sadly missing on the E-M5.

Both of which are on the E-M10 and the wifi control is really good. I expect both will be on the M6.
The thing with the M10 though is do try it first as some really don't like the small size of it (although I do think that is the point of m43) - best not to rule it out without trying though as I've pretty large hands and its fine for me.

BTW great shots Huw - the SAF on these is surprisingly good, sure the CAF is hopeless but the single shot is so quick it makes up for it.

Thanks Alf - seems I'm squarely 40 miles from a branch :(

Thats not much thats the distance to my nearest camera shop.

The shops I visit most frequently are 150 miles

Last edited:
Anyone got their hands on the new 40-150 yet? :D

At 1025 x 769 this was a 100% crop wide open.

Last edited:
Very happy with it.
Build is superb, it just feels quality top to bottom but the most importantly the image quality is everything that was rumoured.
Yes I did order it with the MC-14 but that hasn't arrived yet, SRS say its due in 1-2 weeks.

I have mine on pre-order as the kit (lens plus converter) saves £100 but sounds like Olly hanging on until they have a few separate sales. Not sure why they kit these things up if they aren't prepared to release them at the same time or announce that they are releasing it at a later date. Shop don't know when they getting it and Olly won't tell me when they shipping.

Shop don't know how many they getting so I won't know if I will get one until it's landed. So may have been buying the lens on its own anyway.

I am not the patient type!

I have no idea what to do...I got a comment today that there is lag between what you see via the EVF and what you finally take - I'd have assume that EVFs work like OVFs is what you see is what you get ?

Looked at the 10 via hdew today - if you order a 12-40 2.8 at the same time, the lens costs £465 which is a relative bargain. Until you see that the 5 and the same lens is £790 and the 10 is £874 - just goes to show how much the 5 is being discounted when bundled.

Back