Olympus Zuiko 50mm lens on a Nikon?

Edit My Images
No
Hi, I am looking to get a cheap 50mm lens for my Nikon D3000 and I wondered if anybody on here knew if I could get a 50mm Olympus fit Zuiko lens to fit on my Nikon. I tried looking on ebay for an adapter but all I saw was adapters for Nikon lens to fot onto an Olympus body.

Any help or suggestions?

OM mount, presumably?

There's 0.5mm free in the registration distance (46.00mm OM vs 46.5mm for F-mount) and you then have to get the OM throat (which is larger than the Nikon one) to fit round it: 46mm for OM, 44mm for Nikon F, all while accommodating the OM bayonet.

Short answer is there isn't enough space to mount an OM lens on a Nikon F body unless you're willing to forego infinity focus, even if you were to make your own adapter.

I think the olympus won't fit on the nikon as I think the back focus distance (from the back of the lens to the sensor/film) needed is about 1-2mm too long. I looked at the whole subject when I got my dslr as I already had my dads old om10 kit which is why I passed on Nikon.

Ok thanks for the replies, it sounds complicated and more expensive. I will try an M42 screw mount lens as I has seen the Nikon adapter for those.

Thanks again.

This is about canon adapters but the chart shows that nikon has one of the longest lengths so there isn't much that would fit on the nikon. A leica-r might be possible but it'd have to be a really thin adapter.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/manual_focus_EOS.html

For the M42 adapter, this will have an optical element as part of the adapter to allow infinity focusing so it might degrade the image quality a little if it isn't quality glass.

Even if was going to work, how much are you going to save on a 50mm lens compared with a basic F-mount one anyhow?

It can't be much more than twenty or thirty quid, less when you've forked out for an adapter.

Worst case Nikon option: NIKON 50mm F1.1.8 AIS: £44.00 buy-it-now on eBay. Manual focus on a D3000 with no exposure indication. You'd have to be really short of £££s to need to save another tenner over that price.

I mean, I probably wouldn't buy that for a D3000 for general purpose use, but you're still no worse off than you would be with any other non-Nikon-mount 50mm and it will at least fit on the camera without an adapter.

Even if was going to work, how much are you going to save on a 50mm lens compared with a basic F-mount one anyhow?

It can't be much more than twenty or thirty quid, less when you've forked out for an adapter.

Worst case Nikon option: NIKON 50mm F1.1.8 AIS: £44.00 buy-it-now on eBay. Manual focus on a D3000 with no exposure indication. You'd have to be really short of £££s to need to save another tenner over that price.

I mean, I probably wouldn't buy that for a D3000 for general purpose use, but you're still no worse off than you would be with any other non-Nikon-mount 50mm and it will at least fit on the camera without an adapter.

Thanks for that info I was not aware that this lens would fit straight on, I thought I would need an adapter for an old manual Nikon too.

The place I'd usually point you at doesn't have an OM lens to Nikon body adaptor listed but they (SRB Griturn) could probably machine one up for you. Personally, I would go for a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF lens. I know it won't AF on the D3000 but IIRC, auto aperture and metering will still work. OR, splash some of the cash you saved by buying the D3000 rather than the D90 and get the 50mm f/1.4 AF-S or the (reportedly better) Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM.

There are adaptors available from a company called Leitax (google it, I can be bothered right now)

Unfortunately they require the use of a screwdriver and are about £50 so for that price you may as well buy an old Nikon E series MF lens.

Nick.

I managed to swipe one of those on ebay last night, last seconds bid at £32 and free postage so looking forward to receiving that and trying it out. Glad in the end that I did not take the Olympus lenses, it does sound a lot more complicated and expensive :)

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread and ultimately my end purchase :)

Back