One eye in focus, one out

Personally I always prefer both eyes in focus or the 'front' eye if only one.

One eye is more out of focus than the other but I don't really see any part of the image in focus. It just looks really soft throughout.

I could see this picture working it you really nailed the focus on the right eye and got it pin sharp but even then I think it would be better with both eyes in focus.

Im sorry the whole image is out of focus and doesnt work for me :shrug:

Les ;)

Sorry but neither eye is in focus :shrug:

If you're going to do it, it has to be the once closest for me... it just looks odd if not.

To me, it looks as though the hair to the left and rear of her right eye is in focus.

silly question but why ? I'm all for something different but contact with people is made via the eyes an therefore they should be in focus. As said above, neither eye is in focus

Why did you chose to focus on her hair ? :shrug:

Neither eye is in focus. There may be a tiny bit of motion blur causing that as well, but the EXIF data has been stripped out so I can't tell from there.

Yes, at last! This was what I was going for

B

Then you got the shot you wanted- even though, to be brutal, is far from ideal out of focus and the pose is all wrong- and I for one would have Binned it and not displayed it on open forum- sorry

Les :shrug:

Also Benneal, does you camera have a problem with its sensor? I noticed on this picture and in your other pictures on your Flickr photostream a prominent pink/white vertical line down the right-side of the frame.

Ben, if you like that shot - that's great!

But, I hope you take on board the comments above....

Now tell us honestly, as you brought the camera up to your eye and imagined how this shot would look......you got exactly what you wanted?

Hi, if you got what you wanted then great. Really.

Doesn't work for me, though. It's all OOF. I do like that you're trying different ideas as that's where origional ideas/technques come from.

Even OOF, it does have a saucey feel to it :)

Cheers.

Ben, if you like that shot - that's great!

But, I hope you take on board the comments above....

Now tell us honestly, as you brought the camera up to your eye and imagined how this shot would look......you got exactly what you wanted?

I do like the shot

But no ... I didn't plan it that way

Then you got the shot you wanted- even though, to be brutal, is far from ideal out of focus and the pose is all wrong- and I for one would have Binned it and not displayed it on open forum- sorry

Les :shrug:

How dare you

How dare you

The truth sometimes hurts.
In future, use spot focus and a shutter speed higher than 1/125th second. Then make sure the subject is comfortable. Finally, focus on the subject's nearest eye, hold the focus then move to compose the image and gently squeeze the shutter release.

In future, use spot focus and a shutter speed higher than 1/125th second. Then make sure the subject is comfortable. Finally, focus on the subject's nearest eye, hold the focus then move to compose the image and gently squeeze the shutter release.

Why would he do that?
He likes the shot as it is....

Oh how daring of me.....:D

Thanks - will try again

Re shutter speed, should I not use aperture priority to blur the background?

Thanks - will try again

Re shutter speed, should I not use aperture priority to blur the background?

You can still blur the background using a large aperture (low F number) but you still need to have a good enough shutter speed for hand holding. General rule of them is to have a minimum shutter speed that at least matches the focal length you are using.

ie, if you are using a 200mm lens, use 1/200 shutter speed to ensure a sharp shot. If you use a 50mm lens, use a 1/60 shutter speed (as most camera's don't do 1/50) etc.

If your shutter speed can't raise that high without altering your exposure in a negative way (making it too dark), increase the ISO level so that you can achieve an optimum exposure. Following those steps will more than likely give you the result you want to achieve.

I do agree with others though about having one of the eyes blurred as a general no no. You can still shoot at the same aperture, but instead take a few steps back to increase the focal plane. You'll more than likely get both eyes in sharp focus then whilst still having a nice blurred background.

Just to throw a spanner in the works with a large dose of pedantry. :p

Unless the subject is straight on to the camera - you will never get both eyes 'in focus'.

The focus plane is exactly that a single plane. So with focus on one eye, you can only get the other within your depth of field (or acceptably sharp). The rule to always focus on the nearest eye has a great basis in human psychology - Out of Focus eyes make us uncomfortable. And we'll always go to the nearest one.

However; there are occasions you might want to break the rule to add to a mood, but I'm afraid this isn't one of them.

Unless the subject is straight on to the camera - you will never get both eyes 'in focus'.

The focus plane is exactly that a single plane. So with focus on one eye, you can only get the other within your depth of field (or acceptably sharp). The rule to always focus on the nearest eye has a great basis in human psychology - Out of Focus eyes make us uncomfortable. And we'll always go to the nearest one.

However; there are occasions you might want to break the rule to add to a mood, but I'm afraid this isn't one of them.

Errr ....thanks

^ This...

Back