One for the 5D3 Wedding Shooters

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
No
Hi all
So have taken delivery of a 5dmk 3 to test at a wedding tomorrow (it will only be used as a backup / test). Im hiring it for the weekend so that I can get an idea of the upgrade path next year .
I have a few questions for the wedding 5D3 shooters in terms of set ups.
I shoot AV priority and back button focus, use exposure comp a lot.
Are there any particular setting you would recommend turning on / off?
In terms of AF points, I normally use the outer points or centre and focus / recompose, so I’m thinking of setting it to the 15 AF (not the 61 or so)points so I’m not scrolling through lots of AF points to get to the ones I want, is this a good option?
Things like Wifi im not too worried about
BBF was going to be set to the * button
Exp comp on the large back wheel
Focus point selection on the toggle
AV controlled on the front wheel
How do you have yours set up? Do you use the expanded AF area?

Sorry, should have added that i dont have a manual (but can download one) but im hoping the good people of TP can give me some tips rather than reading what loks like the equivalent of war and peace lol!!.

Anything worth noting re set ups?
Rgds

Last edited:
I don't use BBF so could advise there but why cripple the AF system?

i use the joy stick to select the focal point (i'm sure I use jus the cross type)

cheers stevei

do you use all 61 points / groups etc?

Single point expansions etc

Just enable cross type only within the menu dude

cheers guys, figured a few things out and used it at the wedding on Sat.

WOW!! I always viewed the 3 as an upgrade tot he 2...its more than that and its like an entirely NEW camera..so many improvements in all areas...

gonna be tough deceione next year whather to go the 5d3 route or the d750....

....or i might just mix and match!!

I previously had canon and Nikon. I'd strongly suggest against it

I dont see the issue with mixing. I hope to start doing a lot more landscape and nigh time photography and if it happens then I will be thinking very seriously about a D750 or D800

But I would still be keeping my 1DX for wildlife and wouldnt even consider changing that.

Back