One from back in Feb 2014 - during the floods

That sky looks mean !! I cant actually tell its a flood though, if you hadn't have put it in the description, I would have just thought it was a river - looks pretty bad.

The only good thing about floods, is that they are becoming a regular occurence so perhaps next time, see if you can get a sign in the foreground, something like for walkers/cyclists - then the image would totally speak for itself :)

Cracking sky and B&W though, I really do like that Jeff

No doubting the effectiveness of the sky. I'm sure I'm seeing a lot of distortion. I'm assuming you've used an ultra wide lens. Shame the water wasn't still, hardly your fault but it would give the image a lot more.

It's a very dramatic sky and looks good in black and white. I see Stephens point about the water maybe a long exposure may have smooth out the water a little?

Very nice photo though.

No doubting the effectiveness of the sky. I'm sure I'm seeing a lot of distortion. I'm assuming you've used an ultra wide lens. Shame the water wasn't still, hardly your fault but it would give the image a lot more.

My eyes seem to spend a lot of time wandering the image, with very little foreground to hold my attention or draw me in.

It was taken using a EF17-40mm f/4L USM at 17mm on a full frame camera, so yes very wide...

The image was taken deliberately with just water in the foreground, perhaps I need to take an up to date image so you can just how dramatic the water levels were....

The image was taken deliberately with just water in the foreground, perhaps I need to take an up to date image so you can just how dramatic the water levels were....

Exactly my point, you may well have taken it deliberately, and for a local it may well show what you wanted it too, but to a wide audience like here, it just looks like a river with some buildings behind. There is nothing in the image to hold it together, to pull my eye into the scene, which is what it really needs. To me it just looks like a snapshot put through silver efex to try and save it. Sorry if it sounds harsh, but you have put it in the C&C section.

Exactly my point, you may well have taken it deliberately, and for a local it may well show what you wanted it too, but to a wide audience like here, it just looks like a river with some buildings behind. There is nothing in the image to hold it together, to pull my eye into the scene, which is what it really needs. To me it just looks like a snapshot put through silver efex to try and save it. Sorry if it sounds harsh, but you have put it in the C&C section.

Shrugs......thanks for taking the time to comment Jake.

sometimes there is foreground interest and sometimes there just is n't anything that would add to the image....

Wainlodes Floods January 2014 by kennysarmy, on Flickr

Hi Jeff, I can see why you have done this and it is very dramatic, but its almost like 2 pictures, the sky looks like the end is coming and the water is quite peaceful,--maybe put some more dark menacing contrast into the cloud reflection on the water, and highlight the tufts of grass in the bottom RH corner.

Geofff

For what it's worth I prefer that image!
So do I.

The problem with Uwa lens is they can leave you with a lot of sky and water and precious little else. They are great for fitting things in and exaggerating perspective. However you need to fill the frame and without strong foreground or close/ large subject matter you can get a lot of sky and water

Back