Only a mother could love this they grow so fast

Started with Buzzards (imprints), then took in two Kestrels from some local clowns who raided a nest (I got them ringed) and then a Gos on loan for some while. When I lived at home with parents (1984) on a council estate in Brum it was murder trying to get neighbours to understand what I was trying to do. In the end Bham council gave me an ultimatum. Even the most hardened youths spent many hours in my yard fascinated with the training process. The hood-making kept them occupied for hours and off the streets.

One of the lads turned into a fine Hawker and still to this day breeds Harris's but for me the Gos was unbeatable. If I had my time again I'd sell all my gear for a Gos.

Yep imprint buzzards would be a tad on the noisey side :D
Gos's are great hawks but if you get the initial training wrong, well I guess you know the result ...............:(
:clap: for giving the local "youths" an insight and something to do.
I make most of my own equiptment though hood making is something that I am useless at unfortunately, luckilly they are nowhere near as expensive as they used to be

Yes definately a raptor

Pete:clap:
I guess your right :D Thanks for commenting Pete (y)

come on then Chris wheres the update ? ;)

Not a great deal to show at the momnet Ian next stage is "free flight" but that takes nerves of steel ( mine not hers :D)

Like all kids they grow up so fast
her she is contenplating a bid for freeeeeeeedooooooooooooom
No chance, she is securely tied with a leash
but it won't be long before the training wheels go ( creance aka line) and she is up there with the rest of the birds
IMG_2961.jpg

Thanks Gary (y)

They have a majestic beauty about them.............(y)

Nearly all our native BOP`s do though in fairness, but to see these zipping through woodlands hunting is a joy to see.

Great post, really interesting. If it was to escape would it survive and do they escape/survive?

She's looking good Chris, allways a pleasure coming back to this thread.

I can well understand your trepadation about her first "free flight", how long before you go through that?

They have a majestic beauty about them.............(y)

Nearly all our native BOP`s do though in fairness, but to see these zipping through woodlands hunting is a joy to see.
Cheers Ade yep they are great to watch we have a wild one around here
That hunts the thin tree line behind the houses, It hit our neighbours patio doors last week chasing a blackbird,
luckily ( or un-lucky depends on where your are looking at it from) the blackbird hit first, and died the Spar hit the blackbird as it hit the patio doors,
she was just stunned briefly and flew off with her prize

Great post, really interesting. If it was to escape would it survive and do they escape/survive?
Thanks (y)
There would be an "even chance" that it would survive but as she hasn't learn to "kill" yet she would struggle.
Once they have been "entered" it greatly increases the chance of survival.
There are a few captive bred BOP's out there that have escaped ( several species) and are surviving well. ( seen on a fairly regular basis)

She's looking good Chris, allways a pleasure coming back to this thread.

I can well understand your trepadation about her first "free flight", how long before you go through that?
Cheers (y)
Her first free flight is iminant, TBH it should have been a few days ago but the conditions, her weight and "state of mind" were not "right"
its a bit of a science a bit of conditioning and a bit of luck all thrown in. "You" have to read the signs and get it right first time
there no second chances, get it wrong and shes gone get it right a couple of times and your sorted

Hi Chris,
Knowing nothing about BOP, this thread has been a great read.
That is one beautiful bird.

Do you do this as a living or a hobby?

I wish you the very best on your judgement then Chris, I would be tempted to put it off as long as poss, but I suppose that too has it's down side.

Hi Chris,
Knowing nothing about BOP, this thread has been a great read.
That is one beautiful bird.

Do you do this as a living or a hobby?

Thanks for commenting Slvrbck, glad you are enjoying the thread (y)
Purely a hobby I couldn't be assed to do it for a living too much like hard work :D
I have done a bit of "bird scaring" in the past but I am choosy where
I do it and the price has to be right ;)

I wish you the very best on your judgement then Chris, I would be tempted to put it off as long as poss, but I suppose that too has it's down side.
Cheers Ant (y) your quite right, leaving it too long causes its own problems there is a saying
"once the creance ( line) gets in the way, its time to get rid of it" which is quite true.

Any updated pictures Chris?

Any updated pictures Chris?

Been a bit lazy on the photo front, Ade ( with everything)
Its been rather hectic
around here, but I will rectify that ASAP
Thanks for asking (y)

I may have missed it in another thread, but have you managed to give her that first free flight yet?

Look forward to any new photos :)

Thanks for commenting guys
No free flight yet I haven't had the time :(
Gotta do a few more "tethered" flights in a different location ( every situation requires repartition)
yet before going free, thats just around the corner but "someone" keeps moving the bloody corner :D

She's a beauty; read this thread with interest.
Must be a great feeling to be in the company of such a magnificent bird.

She's a beauty; read this thread with interest.
Must be a great feeling to be in the company of such a magnificent bird.

I'm glad you enjoyed the thread Keith. Thanks for commenting (y)

Blimey, only just noticed this thread Chris, great work and a very interesting read, your dedication and skill are showing through even to this bird ignoramus - I have difficulty telling the difference between a sparrow and a sparrowhawk! :D

What's an imprint btw?

Blimey, only just noticed this thread Chris, great work and a very interesting read, your dedication and skill are showing through even to this bird ignoramus - I have difficulty telling the difference between a sparrow and a sparrowhawk! :D

What's an imprint btw?

Thanks for commenting Colin (y)
The difference between a sparrow and sparrow hawk is that one eats the other I'll leave to to figure out which is which :D

Full imprint : (without writing a book :D)
Its dependent on a lot of things, and how you treat it in its early days
( usually sub 21 days )
Basically The hawk thinks that you are either its mother or mate.
Food imprint : is it is only interested in you for food
And will "food beg" from "you" even when an adult
This one however, looks like becoming my breeding partner :D
Which is great for A.I. purposes ( yep they do it to birds as well (y))

Hey Chris I seen a sparrow kill a sparrowhawk............................... it got stuck in its throat :LOL: nice birds and interesting read too. (y)

This one however, looks like becoming my breeding partner :D

:LOL:
I just got this vision of.......:nono: hmmmm, s'ok, er, I'll just go :exit:

Hey Chris I seen a sparrow kill a sparrowhawk............................... it got stuck in its throat :LOL: nice birds and interesting read too.........
<SIGH> :D
Thanks Alby (y)

A.I ? Artificial Insemination or Intelligence ? lol

Saw a wild Female Sparrowhawk dive into a reed bed today while at Brandon Marsh, came out with nothing so either missed, is blind as a bat or plain stupid ;)
Certainly NOT "intelligence" Ian :D
There are a large percentage of "dives" that miss it will have to try harder next time (y)

:LOL:
I just got this vision of.......:nono: hmmmm, s'ok, er, I'll just go :exit:
Thanks for your input Keith, but yep just as wise to let it drop :D

Back