Oosterbeek war cemetery.

Name
Robert Hofstra
Edit My Images
No
Young Dutch Cub Scout walking the graves.At each grave he placed a rose,i hear him softly say.: "thank you soldier"
DSC_8457_zps85ef97a8.jpg

Boy got emotional when he hears the story about the fallen.
DSC_8491_zpsa17df876.jpg

Say a prayer. I know this Akela for years.Each year she and her Cubs pay respect to the fallen by burn a candle and say a prayer at the graves.
DSC_0719_zps963aaef5.jpg

WOW!! So young?!! Boy Scouts amazed by the age of some of the fallen.
DSC_8553_zpsf6fa147e.jpg

Serious.
DSC_8510_zps8db3bc00.jpg

Salute.
DSC_8527_zpsb9a64ab6.jpg

Each of these images form a story, any of the would make an excellent leader shot for a paper.
The last one is simply fabulous.
Nice to see the youth being educated and displaying respect in this way.

Thank you Paul.
These pictures are made during the Airborne march.Held in the first weekend of September.
Aprox 40 to 50 000 walkers make 5 to 25 km walk trough Oosterbeek and places of the Market Garden batlle field.At the start childeren get a paper with a name and location of one of the fallen where they may place a flower or other tribute.
I did this march since i was a young Boy Scout i think 10 or so times.Later as Leader 20+ times.
Now being "retired" Leader but still active in Scouting i go and visit Oosterbeek to meet friends and make pictures of the 2000 Scouts walking around.
The official rememberance is in the 3th weekend of September.(cant go this year)

Incredible photos, none of them need words as they tell their own story quite easily. I've been to this particular cemetery, having been to many although mostly WW1, myself and it was very sobering. Good to see youngsters both seeing these and paying their respects. Thanks for sharing.

How nice to see such respect being paid to the fallen, by the young people of today, they are a credit to their generation.

My uncle, a member of the Parachute regiment, who fought in operation Market Garden, was killed at Arnhem, and is listed on the memorial at Oosterbeek.

Tragically, he has no grave that his wife (now 95) could visit, as he was blown up while manning a Bren Gun, leaving no body to bury.

Thank you for posting these pictures, they do have a story to tell, and one never to be forgotten.

Dave

Last edited:
Awesome set.

I make a journey every couple of years to the various war cemeteries (including those of the German fallen). They are sotbering and incredible, thought provoking and humbling.

The set above leaves me silent but impressed. The colours of the clothing provide a magnificent and special conrast to the formality of the cemetery.

Thank you for sharing.

Steve

Fantastic pictures.
I went last year and it was very moving to see the Dutch children showing their respects to our fallen soldiers.
Everywhere you go in the Arnhem area you are struck by the warmth of the Dutch and the gratitude they show to the Parachute Regiment.
My father, who was in the parachute regiment (after the war ended) went every year, unfortunately died two years ago on the weekend of the memorial, so last year myself and my brothers and sisters went to scatter his ashes next to the landing zone.
It's the 70th anniversary this weekend.

Nice set, well done ;)

Back