Orford Ness

Name
Pat MacInnes
Edit My Images
Yes

Shot this today while doing a shoot for Total Sea Fishing magazine at Orford Ness, a shingle spit similar to Chesil Beach, located 10 miles from Ipswich.

These buildings, referred to as 'the pagodas' by the local anglers, were apparently test shelters used by the MoD to test firing mechanisms on nuclear weapons. The shingle spit was also one of the places where radar was pioneered.

The land is now frequented by anglers (after the cod in the deep water) and bird watchers and is a haven for wildlife. It also gives stunning views out into the North sea, made even better when you get there at 7am to see a crisp December sunrise.

Shot on a D2x with 80-200mm f/2.8 on a tripod.

Don't usually do landscapes so would be interested what you think....

Pat

Not sure what to say about this - I don't think the light was in your favour. Its very flat light. For me, you need an interesting sky in a landscape and you haven't got that. the buildings are a bit too small in the frame to be of much interest, and the lighthouse might look better separated from the roofs. Would there be a better vantage point? It almost looks as if you are on the wrong side of the incline to get the buildings in. Ideally, I'd say, you need some sunlight on the roofs to make them stand out. Is this somewhere you can return to on another occasion?

Back