Other Hobbies?

Magazine work Hadge?

No Daron I'm afraid. I was a CNC Programmer/machinist but I've now moved into sales and new products for the company I work for who make mountain bike/bike parts. Hopefully I'll get some pictures in the mags once I get my backside into gear.

IMG_6989.JPG View attachment 60091 Another mountain biker here. Bikes had a few upgrades so far, 203mm front disk and x9 shram setup changed to X0. Very nice to ride.

Off to Fort William in a couple of weeks to sample the trails there.

Last edited:
Clay shooting which strangely got me into photography.

I started on clays after doing well on a corporate do then, wanted to shoot game which got me thinking about a dog. I got sidetracked and got a lurcher pup which I obviously had to walk. During early morning walks I used to see the wonders of nature (and a few rabbits) so started taking pictures on my walks. I still take a camera on dog walks 61/2 years on.

My retro gold Kona Explosif with Bomber forks gets a dust off now and then.

I think mine may well be a bit of a rare one as it's these things. I worked on them for 6 years as electrical apprentice/tradesman at Falmouth Docks and then 9 years at sea as an Electrical Officer. I'm interested in all merchant ships, but tankers of all types are my special interest.

Minerva-Doxa-2.jpg

Last edited:
Anything from the industrial age such as trains, planes, airships, trolleybuses and trams, canals, buildings especially art moderne and streamline, also find steampunk an interesting concept

Most of the above require photographing so maybe not exactly another hobby

Almost forgot my 50th year supporting Leyton Orient, most of the time very frustrating, but a few memorable moments too

Did mountain bike in my younger and fitter days, might as well let you see my old bike a rather nice 1993 Merlin Mountain Titanium
img_0702_medium_150.jpg

Last edited:
Anything "tech" related really, computers, home cinema etc.

Play my PS4 regularly but I wouldn't call myself a "gamer" as such.

Used to be an avid cricketer but now I just watch and also used to bowl (ten pin) in local leagues.

Game and sea angling, fly dressing, astronomy, computing, wildlife, my dogs.

Too many :-(

Ensuring Guinness maintains it's standards..

i have a friend who is an engineer for Guinness, he HAS to drink 2 pints per shift to check the quality, ive told him to give me a shout if he wants to retire so i can get my application form in first

as for me my hobbies are fishing,drinking Guinness,fishing, motorbikes, fishing, mountain bikes,LFC...and fishing

Last edited:
i have a friend who is an engineer for Guinness, he HAS to drink 2 pints per shift to check the quality, ive told him to give me a shout if he wants to retire so i can get my application form in first

as for me my hobbies are fishing,drinking Guinness,fishing, motorbikes, fishing, mountain bikes,LFC...and fishing

Real fishing (fly) or the kiddy on type? :exit:

Reactions: RIR
Game and sea angling, fly dressing, astronomy, computing, wildlife, my dogs.

Too many :-(

Haven't dressed a fly in about 16 years now, such a therapeutic pastime in the man cave during winter

Haven't dressed a fly in about 16 years now, such a therapeutic pastime in the man cave during winter

And then photographing them........ :)

And the macabre fun of stopping to collect roadkill for the feathers and fur.......

Last edited:
No Daron I'm afraid. I was a CNC Programmer/machinist but I've now moved into sales and new products for the company I work for who make mountain bike/bike parts. Hopefully I'll get some pictures in the mags once I get my backside into gear.

Decent quality components, I Hope ;)

Real fishing (fly) or the kiddy on type? :exit:

there isnt much trout fishing in and around Liverpool mate...not that i havent tried it, been a few times over the years, mainly on the little rivers up at my mums in scotland mainly coarse fish but used to do loads of sea fishing both from the shore and boats

Gardening it's also my job
Reef aquarium (if you think photography is expensive get a reef tank)

I make bags. Started with leather mainly (but my arthritis has slowed that down), so now mainly work with man made materials and a sewing machine.

Current project is a small holiday bag with dedicated easy access camera pocket on the front.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/leaky5/albums/72157668325287582

My favorite leather bag. About 1200 hand stiches, one of the reasons I don’t do many leather ones now.

My current work bag, 1000D Cordura

Last edited:
I make bags. Started with leather mainly (but my arthritis has slowed that down), so now mainly work with man made materials and a sewing machine.

Current project is a small holiday bag with dedicated easy access camera pocket on the front.

Just finished the latest one.

It’s intended as a days out / travel bag, with dedicated camera pocket.

It can be used flap fully shut down to be a bit more secure, flap velcro’ed up just above the camera pocket if I want to get to the camera a lot or even flap flipped over the back to get to all sections easily.

It has an external zipped pocket on the back, camera pocket at the front. A fully opening zipped pocket with another zipped compartments and various pockets ( I will probably reinforce the front flap with some cardboard to and some rigidity and a main pocket for slightly larger items.

The camera pocket is Velcro lined, my first attempt at a drop in padded section is not great, it will protect the camera, but I will probably have another go at that sometime.

The strap is removable and I might have a go at some kind of leather wet moulded camera holster to add to the strap. There is also a small amount of webbing on one side and I will probably make water bottle pouch to go on it.

My external binding is still a little bit messy, but as it is only for me I am not to worried. Ignore any white lines, that is just tailors chalk and I just need to tidy up any loose cottons.

With the flap closed it should be reasonably water proof as well.

@leaky5 That leather briefcase is lovely!

Beekeeping, writing and baking- tried to upload photos but seem to have lost the little Arrowe thingy on Flickr.

Free swimming. Free diving. Free walking. Free training. In fact if its free I'll do it. As I'm tight as a free masons snicket. Me.

Interesting there's quite a few guitarists on here. For those of you who haven't seen it, go over to thefretboard.co.uk. for a nose round. Nice friendly forum with masses of good information (and a great classifieds section to feed the GAS).

Back on topic. I enjoy playing guitar, making stained glass and riding my motorbike, plus the usual stuff: diy, gardening, reading. Currently working on writing my second book too.

Between children, the dog, the wife, and work, I'd love to have time for a hobby. It just seems a long list of activities and jobs, but as long as they remain fun jobs I don't mind.

Basketball - more so playing than watching; I play for a local team.

Cars - Member of RS246 (Audi RS owners club), and go to shows/meets etc, as well as spending way too much on my car! Next project will be a cheap track day car with a friend, hopefully in the new year.

Gym - Including this as a hobby as I actually enjoy it! Mainly strength and conditioning, with the odd boxing class.

Lol! :D I've seen pig s*** powered cars and vans but never a wood burning motorcycle!

I mentioned motorsport earlier in the topic, but there's also learning Italian which I've been doing at evening class for six years now. Still can't understand Inspector Montalbano without the subtitles though :(

Next great plan is to take piano lessons. Given I can't even remember how to read music, that should be ... challenging.

For me, writing short stories, reading and 'mimdfulness' occupies my time along with listening to music of many ended.

Another muso, but bass here:

Also computer programming and electronics. The dream one day is to design a valve amp from the ground up (excuse the pun!).

Back