Oven cleaning (The manly way)

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
After listening to the missus whinge all day that she can’t for the life of her get all the black spots off the inside of the oven it’s time for a ‘man’ to sort it out. I’m ashamed to admit it but I have never cleaned an oven in my life. I imagine, to do a thorough job I’m going to have to dress up in a space suit and use some kind of superdooper chemical (not a mamby pamby cleaner that costs a fortune and does sod all) So, for all you chaps out there...... What do I use????

Screwfix degreaser with their no nonsense wet wipes.
I can usually make such a smell and mess that she asks me to stop!
The basic spray foam oven cleaners do a good job as well

Last edited:
There's some stuff Blue and orange packet that is a gel, they sell it in most supermarkets. Comes with a large bag. Put the racks in the bag, put the whole bottle contents in and seal, then move the bag around to coat all the surfaces.
With another bottle, put on marigolds, apply gel to the surfaces of the oven.

Sit back and have a coffee. Rinse down with a wet J Cloth.
When your all done, put a large backing tray with water in and put the oven on full. Allow the steam to totally clean the rest so you don't have residuals when cooking.

You can use a cleaning company for around £50, but every time I've used one the heating element in the oven has blown shortly afterwards.

There's some stuff Blue and orange packet that is a gel, they sell it in most supermarkets. Comes with a large bag. Put the racks in the bag, put the whole bottle contents in and seal, then move the bag around to coat all the surfaces.
With another bottle, put on marigolds, apply gel to the surfaces of the oven.

Sit back and have a coffee. Rinse down with a wet J Cloth.
When your all done, put a large backing tray with water in and put the oven on full. Allow the steam to totally clean the rest so you don't have residuals when cooking.

I seemed to remember seeing something like that in the kitchen, so I asked my wife. It's called Oven Pride, she says it works very well and it's easy to use. That's quite a recommendation from someone with about as much interest as I have in kitchens and cleaning ovens...:D

Of course the manly way is to attack it with a high pressure water jet, then spend weeks cleaning the kitchen from the brown water sprayed everywhere (or redecorating).
Someone borrowed my very high powered karacher to clean his patio and did just this to his oven... kitchen, clothes,...

After listening to the missus whinge all day that she can’t for the life of her get all the black spots off the inside of the oven it’s time for a ‘man’ to sort it out. I’m ashamed to admit it but I have never cleaned an oven in my life. I imagine, to do a thorough job I’m going to have to dress up in a space suit and use some kind of superdooper chemical (not a mamby pamby cleaner that costs a fortune and does sod all) So, for all you chaps out there...... What do I use????

An outside company and 35 of your finest British Pounds.
Mine do oven and extractor and they do a belting job. :D

An outside company and 35 of your finest British Pounds.
Mine do oven and extractor and they do a belting job. :D

I've tried two companies, great clean ovens both times ( i have two large ovens on the enormous cooker) but both times shortly afterwards the elements have blown and I've had to replace them doubling the cost of the cleaning :(
I do it myself now.

I just leave it to the wife.

I have had an oven guy round about 3 times, a great job and never an issue with element (11 years old and still original one!)

Have used Lakeland kit where you soak the shelves, pretty good for £15

I've tried two companies, great clean ovens both times ( i have two large ovens on the enormous cooker) but both times shortly afterwards the elements have blown and I've had to replace them doubling the cost of the cleaning :(
I do it myself now.

That's a shame.
My oven is a 1998 hygena....still looks brand-new, and these guys haven't had an adverse effect.

Stubborn black spots can be dealt with easily with a ceramic hob scraper ....

A few months ago my moneyboss decided to try using dissolved bicarb & vinegar.
Plastered it all inside the ovens & doors, then left to dry & rinsed off. It worked reasonably well apart from the dry powdery streaks between the glass in the doors! :rolleyes: I had to take the doors off, dismantle & clean them separately. :mad:

Oven pride
Or lakeland's oven mate

Both are equally effective but sometimes need more than one hit.

i have not cleaned my oven in 12 years since it was new and it seems to work fine, and gets used most days - does an oven stop working if not cleaned?

That's a shame.
My oven is a 1998 hygena....still looks brand-new, and these guys haven't had an adverse effect.

Mines a big rangemaster dual fuel, gas rings electric ovens. It's about 11 years old now, but the elements have only gone after cleaning. One of the things I did discover is that you have to take off the rear plate of the oven to get to the element wrapped around the fan. The fan blades were equally caked and had a clean.
I clean mine about every month

A few months ago my moneyboss decided to try using dissolved bicarb & vinegar.
Plastered it all inside the ovens & doors, then left to dry & rinsed off. It worked reasonably well apart from the dry powdery streaks between the glass in the doors! :rolleyes: I had to take the doors off, dismantle & clean them separately. :mad:
I cleaned our cooker the other day, I used Soda crystals and hot water. But yes it does leave a white film of powder, but I go over it twice more. I go over the powdery streaks with a kitchen cleaner spray, then once more with a clean cloth and fresh water. I then dry it off with a clean cloth.

1/2 a pint of petrol in a tray on the bottom of the oven. Set the oven to as hot as it'll go. When the light goes out (when the oven gets up to full temperature), open the door, stand to one side (VERY IMPORTANT!) and lob a lit match in. When you get out of hospital (...), buy a new, clean cooker. All best done outdoors.

Much easier to pay someone to do the job properly - never had an element problem after cleaning.

A year or two ago, the missus wanted to call someone in to clean our old tatty cooker. They wanted about £100 to clean it. It was not worth cleaning the rusty old thing, so I stumped up another few hundred odd and bought a new one. I now clean our cooker regularly, making sure grease does not have a chance to get baked on.

My Mrs cleans ours every other week with that spray on stuff, seems to keep on top of it getting messy.
Matt

My Mrs cleans ours every other week with that spray on stuff, seems to keep on top of it getting messy.
Matt
I tend to pull our cooker out and give the back and sides a good clean too. I also give the wall and floor a good wipe down too. Usually about three times a year.

Oven Pride is the best stuff. It’s easy to use and works really well. Just don’t get it on any oiled wooden worktops. (Ask me how I know :oops: :$).

Are you thinking about mothers pride or home pride bread?
Just looked it up, and yes it is indeed OvenPride Bakers Established North Kensington 1982. I just looked it up. :)
I knew I have tried that bread, can't remember where though. :thinking:

Anyway, sorry I am digressing.

The cooker originally had a light in it so you could see food inside but the bulb stopped working years ago. Do I need to see the food cooking?

I do, particularly when baking bread, and I don't want to keep opening the oven door because that just loses heat from the oven. Don't worry about the bulb going, ours did years ago, a torch works just as well.

You want to do it the manly way? Just say "Okay dear, I'll get the chequebook out and buy you a new one." :)

i have not cleaned my oven in 12 years since it was new and it seems to work fine, and gets used most days - does an oven stop working if not cleaned?

Not really. It is not a case of if you don't clean it, the oven stops working. It is more a case of if you don't clean it, all that leftover grease may become a fire risk. It's most likely to be a matter of not cleaning the oven result in it taking longer to cook the food.

Another thumbs up for Oven Pride - not that I have personally tried it of course.;)

Back