P.Paradoxa

Name
Barrie
Edit My Images
Yes
I felt like playing with the camera for an hour or so this afternoon and have been keen to get a shot of my mantids I keep Phyllocrania paradoxa the ghost mantis and Hierodula majuscula the Rainforest mantis unfortunately my adult female rainforest mantis is too large to lend herself well to whole body macro shots so I got out one of my 4th instar ghosts, an instar is how we age mantids due to the fact that they moult there exoskeletons as they grow and each time they moult its a new instar until they become fully adult.
Anyway I liked this one

Wow, that's cool, would like to see the real one even if it's just a profile or face on shot.

I think the exposure needs a boost. Focus is good on what I assume is head part.

So let's have a shot the live beast. :)

oh and here is a female I can tell the sex by the casque the pic above is a male
15312277305_6d67596fbf_b.jpg

So cool but again under exposed. You will retain so much more detail if you can the exposure nailed.

Try using spot metering.

Thanks for the input .....and yes I'll try spot metering next time as you can see I'm new to this but I do enjoy it :)

Wow what a creature. Agree both need exposure boost. You also need to clone out those that big dust spot.

Amazing looking creature. You really do have the perfect subjects there.

I really like the burgundy backgrounds, but I think I would look at making it more consistent. so you have even colour throughout. You could keep a white base, but try to get it to fade into the background colour better by positioning the subject further forward and making the background more blurry. Alternatively have a go a constructing your own light box (or buy one) and you could apply gels to create your background colour.

They are terrific poses though, and would love to see more!

Back