Yes
8563.jpg

8570.jpg

8574.jpg

8582.jpg

8585.jpg

8594.jpg

Col

Nice set of shots, the whotes look a bit overexposed, but B&W birds are always a nightmare.

Aye, hand up there. The originals are better - that's my processing to blame. I looked at them with the whites held a bit more and in the end I went with the higher contrast to show off the highlights in the water. There are actually no blown out pixels though - just very near... If I had a spare hour I could do them again and be selective. Laziness on my part.

Col

Last edited:
No problem at all giving room to fly into, I just think it's a shame to have all the negative space at the top of what is otherwise a very good shot.

Does the gradually defocusing background (as it goes higher and higher in the frame) not aid the perspective of the bird being close to the water and closer to the viewer? If you don't think so, I can easily present a new crop...

Col

Its all down to personal preference. Personally, as nice as the graduated background is, I don't think its needed as I know the bird is close to the water due to the reflection. As long as it remains balanced with room to fly into as already mentioned, then I'd lose the top to emphasise the imporatant aspects - the bird and reflection.

Others may well disagree

Its all down to personal preference. Personally, as nice as the graduated background is, I don't think its needed as I know the bird is close to the water due to the reflection. As long as it remains balanced with room to fly into as already mentioned, then I'd lose the top to emphasise the imporatant aspects - the bird and reflection.

Others may well disagree

How about a square crop then...?

8594sq.jpg

I enjoyed these.

5 made me laugh. I'll look on oystercatchers with more affection in future. :):

I enjoyed these.

5 made me laugh. I'll look on oystercatchers with more affection in future. :):

I can't say they are endearing to me, to be honest. They nest in our works' carpark and during the breeding season they hop from car to car and batter away on the roofs with their beaks. They've done quite a bit of damage to some cars. Not mine so far (though I've not examined it that closely). Not sure if they see their reflection as a rival, or if they feel the cars are encroaching on their territory, or if they are just a bit Dolly Dimple :wacky:???

Back