Panamoz.com legit

• Thread starter Deleted member 95430
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 95430

If something is usually too good to be true it usually is

There are selling the same kit ( with ftz adapter) at almost £800 less than Wex

Is Wex usually expensive or is this a glitch? Or are they grey market without proper uk warranty?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Panamoz are Grey......

Many threads by those who do and have used them and are happy, so your choice?

If something is usually too good to be true it usually is

There are selling the same kit ( with ftz adapter) at almost £800 less than Wex

Is Wex usually expensive or is this a glitch? Or are they grey market without proper uk warranty?

Cheers
Really, you didn't think to search first? There're plenty of threads on here about Panamoz and other grey sellers.

WEX are UK based and well known as well as well respected. You will find that UK dealers tend to retail at the same prices, usually to the penny. You will of course be paying 20% VAT with UK dealers, like WEX.

Panamoz, as mentioned are grey, so you are technically importing the goods and avoiding (if that's the right word) paying VAT. As a dealer, Panamoz have a very good reputation for service.

There are many discussions on these forums about grey sellers, opinions on the rights and wrongs of it vary. We've been there many times.

Cheers guys, yeah did the textbook thing of asking before doing a proper search, thanks for all the helpful replies! Good to know they are good to buy from and they have an included 3 year warranty which negates the risk I assume unless their was a recall for whatever reason

Last edited by a moderator:
ditto, like many many here who have posted , long time user of Panamoz - 3yr uk based warranty like hdew

Cheers guys, yeah did the textbook thing of asking before doing a proper search, thanks for all the helpful replies! Good to know they are good to buy from and they have an included 3 year warranty which negates the risk I assume unless their was a recall for whatever reason
Thier so called "UK warranty" is basically only as good as gentleman's agreement to pay you back after you get your item repaired in the UK.
It has no legal backing that I'm aware of which you would have with a UK warranty that's provided by UK based retailers or manufacturer.

Generally speaking they seem to honour the "warranty" and they have been in business a long time. But just saying you are still at risk (however small it might be).

Last edited:
Thier so called "UK warranty" is basically only as good as gentleman's agreement to pay you back after you get your item repaired in the UK.
It has no legal backing that I'm aware of which you would have with a UK warranty that's provided by UK based retailers or manufacturer.

Generally speaking they seem to honour the "warranty" and they have been in business a long time. But just saying you are still at risk (however small it might be).
IMO there is no risk as even if they went under and you had no warranty the money you saved would pay for the repair. So worst case you'd be no worse off than buying UK.

I've used Panamoz a lot for many years, also E-infinity but usually only for lenses.

IMO there is no risk as even if they went under and you had no warranty the money you saved would pay for the repair. So worst case you'd be no worse off than buying UK.

I've used Panamoz a lot for many years, also E-infinity but usually only for lenses.
Very good point

I think its quite a smart business model, statistically the number of warranties they pay out must be insignificant to keep selling at these prices. Be interested to see how they manage a recall

I think its quite a smart business model, statistically the number of warranties they pay out must be insignificant to keep selling at these prices. Be interested to see how they manage a recall

Not sure if they need to manage recalls. at least as far as Sony is concerned they'll fix recalls for you free of charge regardless of where the body was sourced from.
I'm not sure if it's the same for other manufacturers but I'd hope so

Depends on how much money one saved and what the repair was.
I have sourced some newly released items cheaper or close to panamoz prices in the UK.

I stay away from e-infinity at all costs.
I have sourced a couple of cameras from panamoz in the past when sourcing them in the UK was like 2-3 months of waiting.
Transaction went smoothly.

For now all my gear is UK bought.

They are totally legit if you tell them to declare the parcel contents correctly (and they comply).
I'm sure they'll comply because they stand to lose nothing. You'll be the one paying the import duty.

I'm sure they'll comply because they stand to lose nothing. You'll be the one paying the import duty.
Panamoz will pay any import charges, pretty sure I’ve seen posts on this site when they have paid. Whether people should buy grey is up to them imo

Panamoz will pay any import charges, pretty sure I’ve seen posts on this site when they have paid. Whether people should buy grey is up to them imo
They pay if someone gets caught in random checks which is rather rare, not you if ask them to declare the goods upfront.
Thier business is solely based on smuggling in goods and not paying taxes.

You will find that UK dealers tend to retail at the same prices, usually to the penny.
Well worth building a relationship with local stores, who will often knock money off their advertised price. LCE have been very good to me over the years in this regard, generally 10% or so off in addition to advertised deals (cash back etc). And of course it never hurts to ask - but best to do on email, in-store they won’t want other customers hearing ;)

They won't be this time. ;) (y)
Is being opposed to buying grey and registering your concerns against forum rules now?

Last edited:
WEX is a UK authorised dealer, panamoz are what is known as a grey dealer and as far as i know not even based in the UK and is less desirable source to buy from although a large amount of people do to save a bit of money.

As Dale said, so many of these threads turn into a bun fight.
In fact there was a sticky posted 9 years ago, for info.

Last edited:
Wex (or it's earlier incarnation Warehouse Express) was the disruptor 20-25 years ago. Now it's regarded as 'establishment' having gobbled up Calumet and Fixation amongst others, and advertising prices to within a pound of others...funny how times have changed.

Panamoz and E-Infin are my first ports of call. You will get brand new stuff for the price of UK used stuff from LCE/MBP etc. I cannot see why you'd chose to buy used when you can new stuff for the same price. Even factoring in VAT differences, Panamoz etc work out cheaper than UK retailers on new items.

The above two are my primary suppliers and I cannot recommend them enough and I will only use UK retailers as a last resort.

Last edited:
Wex (or it's earlier incarnation Warehouse Express) was the disruptor 20-25 years ago. Now it's regarded as 'establishment' having gobbled up Calumet and Fixation amongst others, and advertising prices to within a pound of others...funny how times have changed.

It's a normal evolution. Two decades before Wex became well known Jessops grew in stages from being a low cost disruptor with one or two stores to a high street brand.

As regards grey vs non-grey pricing. I'd like Fuji to explain how it is that e-Infinity can sell the 100-400 at £1039 while Fuji UK typically sell a refurb 100-400 at £1299 and authorised retailers typically sell closer to £1500 and more. If this was just about VAT then the UK new price would be about £1250 - which is still less than the refurb.

It's a normal evolution. Two decades before Wex became well known Jessops grew in stages from being a low cost disruptor with one or two stores to a high street brand.

As regards grey vs non-grey pricing. I'd like Fuji to explain how it is that e-Infinity can sell the 100-400 at £1039 while Fuji UK typically sell a refurb 100-400 at £1299 and authorised retailers typically sell closer to £1500 and more. If this was just about VAT then the UK new price would be about £1250 - which is still less than the refurb.

Because E-Infin will buy them at the price Fuji will sell to suppliers in that market. ie the market/trade price in China is less than the UK.

Another reason why it pays to go grey.

As others have pointed out, there is more to it than simply VAT.

For example, Fuji UK is selling that refurbed lens at below UK retailer cost price.

Then of course there is the higher costs of running a business in the UK like staff costs.

There is - but it's Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji etc which determine the RRP. The consequences of not retailing at the RRP can be quite dire for places like WEX etc.

These very makers - will supply different markets the same equipment at lower costs. Look at Andorama and B&H for instance.

Last edited:
There is - but it's Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji etc which determine the RRP. The consequences of not retailing at the RRP can be quite dire for places like WEX etc.

These very makers - will supply different markets the same equipment at lower costs. Look at Andorama and B&H for instance.
However that's how multi national businesses work. They are attempting to maximise their overall profits and if one geographical area will pay more for a product then they will go ahead and charge the higher price; a business objective is to maximise profits, one way of achieving this is to set the price as high as the market will stand. If customers stop purchasing the product or competitors have a similar offering at a lower price this can force a reduction. It gets quite complex with a lot of manufacturers selling via captive distribution companies in different geographical regions who each have certain profit margins to reach. If for example the US market is so much larger than the UK for instance it's quite conceivable that distributor X in the USA will argue they should pay less for the product from the factory as a volume discount compared to distributor X in the UK. I don't see that as a particular issue or unfair. It's normal business practice; think of it as you going to your local camera shop and buying 2 new bodies, 3 lens, filters etc. You are likely to ask for a discount because of the size of the order. Is it unfair on the customer who buys a single lens to not get the same discount as you ?

The grey market does offer an opportunity to consumers so inclined to try and take advantage of this - I have not included the various tax issues as this just adds another level of complexity as do exchange rates especially £ to USD as we have all discovered regarding oil prices recently !!

However that's how multi national businesses work. They are attempting to maximise their overall profits and if one geographical area will pay more for a product then they will go ahead and charge the higher price; a business objective is to maximise profits, one way of achieving this is to set the price as high as the market will stand. If customers stop purchasing the product or competitors have a similar offering at a lower price this can force a reduction. It gets quite complex with a lot of manufacturers selling via captive distribution companies in different geographical regions who each have certain profit margins to reach. If for example the US market is so much larger than the UK for instance it's quite conceivable that distributor X in the USA will argue they should pay less for the product from the factory as a volume discount compared to distributor X in the UK. I don't see that as a particular issue or unfair. It's normal business practice; think of it as you going to your local camera shop and buying 2 new bodies, 3 lens, filters etc. You are likely to ask for a discount because of the size of the order. Is it unfair on the customer who buys a single lens to not get the same discount as you ?

The grey market does offer an opportunity to consumers so inclined to try and take advantage of this - I have not included the various tax issues as this just adds another level of complexity as do exchange rates especially £ to USD as we have all discovered regarding oil prices recently !!

I asked Wex if they'd offer any discount on 2x GFX100s bodies, a 23mm, 30mm and 45-100 and 100-200. The price of this order was close to £20,000

They said no. RRP's innit.

I'd be cheaper flying to the US, buying in B&H and flying back with it - especially using a rewards/cash back based credit card.

The UK consumer has for too long been a cash cow, so I will always make a point of buying grey or when I am abroad.

Back