"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

No but I tried the de-noise on Lightroom and it took ages. I use the quick one on my free editor and just chuck a bit on sometimes.

TBH a bit of noise doesn't bother me really, I just accept it usually.

If the day comes when I capture something really special, then I would invest in de-noise to get the best from it, but that day hasn't come yet.

There are some free packages but I don't know how good they are.

I haven't had a desk top for years as I used to fix them and I got sick of the sight of them so all I've had for years is a lap top, I used to fix these too but I don't find them as room dominating as a desk top, and I really should buy a faster one. What I do with my creaking old one is shut everything down and let Denise do its thing. It takes several minutes to process a full uncropped raw.

Last edited:
There are some free packages but I don't know how good they are.

I haven't had a desk top for years as I used to fix them and I got sick of the sight of them so all I've had for years is a lap top, I used to fix these too but I don't find them as room dominating as a desk top, and I really should buy a faster one. What I do with my creaking old one is shut everything down and let Denise do its thing. It takes several minutes to process a full uncropped raw.
Yeah I'm only on a laptop, the keys are going on mine so time for a new one soon. Mine has a decent processor but also takes ages, I think it's just a long process buddy.

To me the content of the photo is far more important than the technical excellence. When I think of the great photos from history it's the event and emotion that count, in fact I dont consciously give them a tech critical once over.

I'm a fan of auto ISO as manually selecting it is just another thing to do and in doing it you might miss the moment. I'm also a fan of having whatever the max is available as if you take a picture and the noise is too bad you can delete it but don't take the picture at all and, well, you've just got no picture.

Very valid point, then adding to that your later post about motion blur and shutter speed, I find that whenever I need an ISO above12800, I would usually be making more manual choices like shutter speed anyway, so the extra thought needed is helpful.
If I was casually walking round town at night without a tripod, I would probably then use auto ISO up to its max.

There are so many combinations of conditions, my compromise is to set the max to 6400 or 12800 if need be, and that in general use gives me the best balance for the way I do things (right or wrong :) )

I'm impressed with those. Been thinking of a macro but can't afford the Oly 90mm or the other premium lenses, but this looks pretty darn good.
Do you need to use a soft flash to get good images with this lens? And is it only available from China?
Hi Keith, l got mine from pergear.com and it took a few days to arrive. I did use a diffused ring flash to help fill shadows and soften the light. I must say l am impressed with the sharpness of the pergear 60mm f2.8.

Hmmm ... I don't know if some cameras have a chosen minimum ISO setting, but it's a good idea. ISO 3200 is a number that's stuck in my mind as barely distinguishable from 100, on a typical English April morn.

just a quick note. I managed to get a wireless remote shutter trigger from China for the panasonic G9 camera. It is the Pixel Oppillas/L1 for Panasonic. The camera requires a 2.5mm cable 3pole on one end and a 4 pole on the other. found on Amazon web site

Last edited:
I thought I had a 50mm lens, but it seems I gave it away 18 months ago, but whilst looking for it, I remembered I had a cheap (£15 at the time) C mount lens and M43 adapter on a G3 I converted to IR for the kids.

Put it on a G9 to try it, and quite pleased with it, I have some doubts that the f1.8 is genuine, and the corners are a bit soft until you get above F4, but it will certainly do what I wanted for no cost :)

clens.jpg

Nothing great, but reasonable enough.

I thought I had a 50mm lens, but it seems I gave it away 18 months ago, but whilst looking for it, I remembered I had a cheap (£15 at the time) C mount lens and M43 adapter on a G3 I converted to IR for the kids.

Put it on a G9 to try it, and quite pleased with it, I have some doubts that the f1.8 is genuine, and the corners are a bit soft until you get above F4, but it will certainly do what I wanted for no cost :)

View attachment 421064

Nothing great, but reasonable enough.
Nice, and great result on finding the lens. I've never considered a M43 adapter to explore other lenses.

Panasonic G9 and 100-400mm lens
Usually I edit the RAWs but the last couple of outings I have edited the J Pegs, and I think I prefer it.
When I crop the RAWS I can't get as close as I can with the J Pegs, which allow a much heavier crop and they still look really good on the laptop. I guess if they were blown up to a larger size they would suffer after a really heavy crop, but I only produce photos for laptop use and I am loving the results with the Jpegs. The following image is a small square out of the middle of the image, the Robin was pretty small in the original. This is a massive crop, so much so that I didn't have to reduce the image as usual to get it on the forum.
010 24 04 24.JPG

Panasonic G9 and 100-400mm lens
Usually I edit the RAWs but the last couple of outings I have edited the J Pegs, and I think I prefer it.
When I crop the RAWS I can't get as close as I can with the J Pegs, which allow a much heavier crop and they still look really good on the laptop. I guess if they were blown up to a larger size they would suffer after a really heavy crop, but I only produce photos for laptop use and I am loving the results with the Jpegs. The following image is a small square out of the middle of the image, the Robin was pretty small in the original. This is a massive crop, so much so that I didn't have to reduce the image as usual to get it on the forum.
View attachment 421085

I was reading the other day that many people use mainly JPEGs on the G9, and its processing is considered to be extremely good, making it very hard to do better processing RAWs, and I agree with you, it is good,

Affinity does a good job on any slight noise, without noticeably losing detail.

I still set it to record the RAWs to the second card, but I no longer keep them after I have checked I am happy with the JPEGs

I do have a custom setting where the sharpening and noise reduction on the JPEGs is turned right down, then I apply it in Affinity

I was reading the other day that many people use mainly JPEGs on the G9, and its processing is considered to be extremely good, making it very hard to do better processing RAWs, and I agree with you, it is good,

Affinity does a good job on any slight noise, without noticeably losing detail.

I still set it to record the RAWs to the second card, but I no longer keep them after I have checked I am happy with the JPEGs

I do have a custom setting where the sharpening and noise reduction on the JPEGs is turned right down, then I apply it in Affinity
Interesting you say that, as the one thing with the JPegs is I find the sharpening applied is not quite as clean as I can do myself on a RAW, but it's pretty close. If it's not too complicated I would be grateful to know how you apply those settings.

Interesting you say that, as the one thing with the JPegs is I find the sharpening applied is not quite as clean as I can do myself on a RAW, but it's pretty close. If it's not too complicated I would be grateful to know how you apply those settings.
Do you mean how to turn it down on the camera, or how to apply it with Affinity?

How to set the camera to leave the sharpen to you in edit buddy.
OK, Menu, REC (red camera icon top left), page one, Photo Style, select Standard ( can do the same with other styles), then down button (the ring under the menu button) then you can adjust Contrast, Sharpness, Noise Reduction and Saturation.

I set Contrast and Saturation to 0, Sharpness and Noise reduction to -5 and Saturation to 0

I then set everything else to how I would normally use it and save all the settings one of the 5 Custom settings.

Then go back and change the Standard settings to what they were.

OK, Menu, REC (red camera icon top left), page one, Photo Style, select Standard ( can do the same with other styles), then down button (the ring under the menu button) then you can adjust Contrast, Sharpness, Noise Reduction and Saturation.

I set Contrast and Saturation to 0, Sharpness and Noise reduction to -5 and Saturation to 0

I then set everything else to how I would normally use it and save all the settings one of the 5 Custom settings.

Then go back and change the Standard settings to what they were.
Thanks mate, I'll have a play when I get the chance.

Mrs WW at a church event.

GX80, Panasonic 14mm f2.5 at f2.5, 1/160 and ISO 6,400.

P1080619-Enhanced-NR.jpg

I hope the sharpness survived the posting process.

100% from that.

1-P1080619-Enhanced-NR.jpg

There are times when MFT surprises me and today it did again and in a good way. I'm very happy with the ISO 6,400 picture after running Adobe denoise and this tiny lens on the GX80 makes this tiny lens and small camera package a joy to use.

Last edited:
Back